Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Panorama mode crashes live view every time

Len

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have EVO II Pro with Smart Controller V1. Every time I use Panorama mode, after stitching camera live view freezes permanently and I have to fly drone blind. Only way to get the feed back is to turn drone on/ff. Happens every time without fail, except for spherical panorama where it doesn't stich... Seem to be happening from the beginning (before it would freeze every other time), and after latest update issue hasn't been fixed and in fact got worse. I can't believe. It seems very strange that such a huge bug hasn't been addressed. Anyone else has this problem? I've searched forum and didn't find anything matching "panorama freezing"

Hey guys. I have EVO II Pro with Smart Controller V1. Every time I use Panorama mode, after stitching camera live view freezes permanently and I have to fly drone blind. Only way to get the feed back is to turn drone on/ff. Happens every time without fail, except for spherical panorama where it doesn't stich... Seem to be happening from the beginning (before it would freeze every other time), and after latest update issue hasn't been fixed and in fact got worse. I can't believe. It seems very strange that such a huge bug hasn't been addressed. Anyone else has this problem? I've searched forum and didn't find anything matching "panorama freezing"
Yes, it is "normal", you are not alone. Check my posts Scary Panorama after firmware upgrade . "Normal" of course is not normal and I feel that this is a firmware issue, and not only the latest but also a flaw in previous ones. Autel communicated with me on this for a very long time and could not admit nor conclude that this is my drone's problem or it is a firmware issue. I now can conclude that Autel support absolutely sucks but since more people raising voice on this I would suggest letting them know sending emails hoping that they will fix this in the next firmware update.
I don't use Panorama anymore with my EVO2 Pro because it is too risky unless you see drone very close by and can navigate back home visually. I was happy switching from DJI Mavic to Autel EVO some time ago but now I am not sure anymore since Autel practically has no support (my own experience), Panorama is not working properly, tracking is not good, overpriced. 6K camera is still good though.

If I understand your description correctly...

This is not a bug, it's not a live crash.
This is precisely what happens, that the liveview pauses for the entire time of the stitching processing from the shared chip on board, which is not very powerful, not fast enough, present on the aircraft.
Yes, we know it from the beginning.
Actually this is the frustrating and somewhat risky norm of these drones when that Panoramic function start to elaborate.
Probably there is no firmware that can solve it, the amount of data to be processed during the flight does not give other possibilities than freeze the live, so need to wait for the end of the stitching and the automatic consequent return of the video live.

When activating this photographic function then it's better to leave the aircraft hovering for the whole time of this operation, or, if you see that the battery is already a little too low, is more prudent to activate the automatic return. However usually if, during the same flight, previously you have not already stopped the RTH started automatically due to low battery power, you should have plenty of time to wait safely because the algorithm for the remaining power is always very conservative.

Reactions: G_G
Yes, it is "normal", you are not alone. Check my posts Scary Panorama after firmware upgrade . "Normal" of course is not normal and I feel that this is a firmware issue, and not only the latest but also a flaw in previous ones. Autel communicated with me on this for a very long time and could not admit nor conclude that this is my drone's problem or it is a firmware issue. I now can conclude that Autel support absolutely sucks but since more people raising voice on this I would suggest letting them know sending emails hoping that they will fix this in the next firmware update.
I don't use Panorama anymore with my EVO2 Pro because it is too risky unless you see drone very close by and can navigate back home visually. I was happy switching from DJI Mavic to Autel EVO some time ago but now I am not sure anymore since Autel practically has no support (my own experience), Panorama is not working properly, tracking is not good, overpriced. 6K camera is still good though.
You'd be even happier if you had both, DJI and Autel, both excellent overall, while both having their own unique strengths and weaknesses.

If I understand your description correctly...

This is not a bug, it's not a live crash.
This is precisely what happens, that the liveview pauses for the entire time of the stitching processing from the shared chip on board, which is not very powerful, not fast enough, present on the aircraft.
Yes, we know it from the beginning.
Actually this is the frustrating and somewhat risky norm of these drones when that Panoramic function start to elaborate.
Probably there is no firmware that can solve it, the amount of data to be processed during the flight does not give other possibilities than freeze the live, so need to wait for the end of the stitching and the automatic consequent return of the video live.

When activating this photographic function then it's better to leave the aircraft hovering for the whole time of this operation, or, if you see that the battery is already a little too low, is more prudent to activate the automatic return. However usually if, during the same flight, previously you have not already stopped the RTH started automatically due to low battery power, you should have plenty of time to wait safely because the algorithm for the remaining power is always very conservative.
The issue is NOT about temporarily freeze while it is stitching images after taking panorama shots but rather about the fact that it does not return from a frozen mode to a live mode when stitching is complete. You have to fly your drone home somehow blindly, turn off and turn on the aircraft and the controller to get back live feed.

Reactions: Len
The issue is NOT about temporarily freeze while it is stitching images after taking panorama shots but rather about the fact that it does not return from a frozen mode to a live mode when stitching is complete. You have to fly your drone home somehow blindly, turn off and turn on the aircraft and the controller to get back live feed.
ok, thanks for the clarification, actually as anticipated in the first line, I was not sure I understood well, or rather, that you had described the facts well.
But now I can tell you that in the 3 or 4 times that, about a year ago, I had tried the Panorama function just out of curiosity, this did not happen, no app crash that forced me to do what you had to do, because there was only the temporary long freeze of the live during the stitching.

I have not done any updates since then, because I am always very vigilant, suspicious and skeptical about updates (of anyone in any technology sector), it is always possible to run into a trap, wanted or not.
With DJI every time, for years, there is the risk to gain some additional or improved functionality, with the added gift of further unknown, undeclared, questionable, undesirable restrictions!
Autel was different and perhaps still is a little different, it is apparently less coercive than DJI, but the time is slowly changing and not always for the better in every technical aspect.
So, it could be a firmware related issue, at this point.
You should try to roll back the drone to an older firmware, if possible.
Months ago was possible to do it, with a simple trick, I don't know today if something is changed, due to the fact that I no longer follow this theme, don't need any downgrade or update of my Autel fleet.

ok, thanks for the clarification, actually as anticipated in the first line, I was not sure I understood well, or rather, that you had described the facts well.
But now I can tell you that in the 3 or 4 times that, about a year ago, I had tried the Panorama function just out of curiosity, this did not happen, no app crash that forced me to do what you had to do, because there was only the temporary long freeze of the live during the stitching.

I have not done any updates since then, because I am always very vigilant, suspicious and skeptical about updates (of anyone in any technology sector), it is always possible to run into a trap, wanted or not.
With DJI every time, for years, there is the risk to gain some additional or improved functionality, with the added gift of further unknown, undeclared, questionable, undesirable restrictions!
Autel was different and perhaps still is a little different, it is apparently less coercive than DJI, but the time is slowly changing and not always for the better in every technical aspect.
So, it could be a firmware related issue, at this point.
You should try to roll back the drone to an older firmware, if possible.
Months ago was possible to do it, with a simple trick, I don't know today if something is changed, due to the fact that I no longer follow this theme, don't need any downgrade or update of my Autel fleet.
The issue appears to be happening about at least 50% out of all panorama shots same on iOS and Android and also on previous firmwares at least in my case. Sometimes it works as it should. I rolled back firmware and then forth with the same results. I thought this was something to do with my drone alone but now I see others have the same issue so this confirms the common issue.

Reactions: Len
If you turn off OA after you are in the Air it sometimes avoids that issue. Funny part is you can literally watch the OA flip on and off while its shotting the Pano. I told support about the bad code activating OA during the pano's on the 2.25 Beta firmware. No idea why OA would be needed when the drone is sitting still while taking the pano. Some crappy coding.

The issue appears to be happening about at least 50% out of all panorama shots same on iOS and Android and also on previous firmwares at least in my case. Sometimes it works as it should. I rolled back firmware and then forth with the same results. I thought this was something to do with my drone alone but now I see others have the same issue so this confirms the common issue.
Yes sorry for late reply. It does freeze on mine permanently until I restart drone. Last time I tried it twice, and it happened twice. Needless to say I stopped experimenting after this :(

Yes sorry for late reply. It does freeze on mine permanently until I restart drone. Last time I tried it twice, and it happened twice. Needless to say I stopped experimenting after this :(
Solution: Best to shoot the pano manually, and stitch it yourself after the flight.

Just encountered the same problem here! Tried one panorama (app-version V1.1.8.25); the drone took 12 images; the image transmission froze (as before) BUT did NOT return so I had tot engage the "Return To Home" function and landed the craft. Afterwards it turned out that the software also did NOT stitch the panorama as before. Also the "Smart Orbit" mode cannot be engaged; the app refuses to lock the indicated target and returns always to the Manual Flight Mode... I just posted a separate thread on this!
Very disappointing!

Wow! this sucks. I have been trying to fix this same problem on my AE2P6K - uninstalled and reinstalled the explorer app and reinstalled the latest firmware and the problem still persists. Contacted Autel today. They promised to look into this and will be emailing soon with troubleshooting steps.

Reactions: MartinSky
Wow! this sucks. I have been trying to fix this same problem on my AE2P6K - uninstalled and reinstalled the explorer app and reinstalled the latest firmware and the problem still persists. Contacted Autel today. They promised to look into this and will be emailing soon with troubleshooting steps.
See Post #10 above!

Same problem here. Autel communicated with me at first as if there were willing to help. They even sent me an RMA and I sent my drone to them to fix it. In 8 days my drone was returned to me still not fixed and the USB port cover missing. I called and emailed them several times to complain but they ignored me. In other words Autel silently told me to f**k off. I am so pissed!

Same problem here. Autel communicated with me at first as if there were willing to help. They even sent me an RMA and I sent my drone to them to fix it. In 8 days my drone was returned to me still not fixed and the USB port cover missing. I called and emailed them several times to complain but they ignored me. In other words Autel silently told me to f**k off. I am so pissed!
Autel's Panoramas on the EVO II 6k took over a full year to be added in FW, and always sucked. 4.5 minutes just to shoot a 360° Is ridiculous, and no camera view during the processing on the 180° panos, which was always a recipe for disaster. DJI can shoot and stitch a full 360° In HiRes on the Mavic 3 and Mavic3 Classic, with a cloned in ceiling, in a total of 75 seconds with full FPV view throughout.

I, too, experienced the same customer support response over EVO II 6k range issues beyond 2000 feet, where it would disconnect and RTH. They had me send it in. They tested it and returned it with no change in range. When I still complained that it still wasn’t fixed, they admitted they can't test range beyond 1000 feet because of their proximity to an airport! Complete waste of my time. They also would not replace it. Had to buy an Alientech antenna mod and have it installed onto the controller to fix the crappy range. Still not as good as Ocusync. Now they claim to have it fixed with their V3 version. Sure! :rolleyes:

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials