Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

EVO II panorama tips

JANGER

Reaction score
Awaiting for some panorama mode in EVO II, I am very impressed the quality of 360 panorama made manually.
There are so many details on the horizontal line.

The stitched panorama from EVO II PRO has native 26.650 pixels.

I do 360/180 panoramas for 8 years. Since the Google Street View started.
For last 3 years I do panoramas from drones too.

From me, recording all necessary photos in some automatic way it is a key feature for drone software.
I mean: recording collection of photos, not stitching photos to one panorama image.
Because, end to end, we want to stitch photos in some more advanced mode in 3rd part software.

This is what I do:

1. Select some average sunlight frame to adjust the best manual expose shutter iso and aperture.
This is important because we have to collect all photos with the same expose conditions.
Making 360 panorama we always look forward and backward to sunlight, and expose changes.
We have to select some compromise. I usually select the frame with the sun on the top-right corner and horizontal line in the middle.
But this is depend from the weather, number of clouds, time of day.

2. Switch all expose parameters to manual. Observe histogram.

3. Set camera tilt angle to 0 degrees.

4. Set drone orientation at the beginning, to north, or one of 90 degrees. It will make easier rotation. Observe the map preview and drone red arrow.

5. Record 12 photos around by turning the drone 5 degrees approximately. +12 photos.
I do so by observing the drone red arrow on the map preview.

1595086936074.png

6. Change camera tilt up to 25 degrees. Repeat point 5. +12 photos

7. Change camera tilt down to 25-30 degrees. Repeat point 5. +12 photos

8. Change camera tilt down to 50-60 degrees. Repeat point 5. +12 photos

10. Change camera tilt down to 90 degrees. Record 2 photos with rotation 90 degrees. +2 photos

Together it gives a collection of 50 photos.

YOU HAVE TO RECORD ALL 50 as fast as it is possible. Because sunlight moves, because clouds fly, because cars and people moves.
With a matter of practices, it can be done in less than 10 minutes (it requests around 10 seconds for every drone rotation and photo shooting).

Well, maybe this not too long.
Using another drone, which can shoot all photos in automatic mode, it gets in 5 minutes.

Then I stitch all photos in 3rd part software. You can easily get Google search answers what you can use.

Certainly EVO II cannot tilt the camera up to 90 degrees to, so called zenith photo.
There will be empty circle on the top of panorama. You must paint it manually, or use approximation of closer photos.
But there are always sky and clouds. 99% of panorama viewers want to see details on the ground.
(There is only one other drone on the market, who can record zenith automatically, but it has worse camera than EVO II)

The samples of result:

Olsztyn. City. 360 Panorama | 360Cities

Polane. Olsztyn. The city beltway. 360 Panorama | 360Cities

Just do not watch panoramas in default zoom, see details by zooming the view.

If you have own better mode to make 360 panoramas with EVO II, please share your way.

1595086892343.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-07-16-14-29-43-755_com.autelrobotics.explorer 2.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-07-16-14-29-43-755_com.autelrobotics.explorer 2.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 66
Thanks for nice tutorial. I figured out that 8 photos per 1 pitch/plane also do the job (it results in ~18600x9300 picture), but obviously more pictures will give better result.

I was playing with Mission Planner today to automate it little bit: just single way point with multiply actions to take all photos needed for 360 panorama. It seems to work ok (18 photos in <1min) but there are two issues unfortunately:
1. You have to edit the mission to move the way point to new location each time - not a big problem actually
2. It looks that Mission Planner takes JPG only, no DNG (at least in Hover mode of the way point, where action to take photo is not available, there is timelapse only) - very bad!
There are areas to improve in Mission Planner for such scenario. Unless Autel implements panorama as regular photo mode.

It is a great idea of Mission Planner using. I should try it myself. I will.

The number of photos in one row depends from camera view angle and from the factor of "common parts" used in stitching process (most software need 10-20% common).
The number 8 looks like the minimum, the 12 looks like maximum in case of EVO II camera and lens.
There is no reason to make more photos, because more common pixels will just duplicate, will give nothing more in final result 360x180 panorama

Thanks for nice tutorial. I figured out that 8 photos per 1 pitch/plane also do the job (it results in ~18600x9300 picture), but obviously more pictures will give better result.

I was playing with Mission Planner today to automate it little bit: just single way point with multiply actions to take all photos needed for 360 panorama. It seems to work ok (18 photos in <1min) but there are two issues unfortunately:
1. You have to edit the mission to move the way point to new location each time - not a big problem actually
2. It looks that Mission Planner takes JPG only, no DNG (at least in Hover mode of the way point, where action to take photo is not available, there is timelapse only) - very bad!
There are areas to improve in Mission Planner for such scenario. Unless Autel implements panorama as regular photo mode.

This thread was valid 1 year ago, there was no panorama mode at that time.

Autel listened to voice of Evo II users and added this useful feature. Would it work the same way in DJI world? ;-)

I have not used it yet, but I've read complaints that the craft processes a pano and control locks up during that time and there is no way to disable that onboard processing. True?
Also, does the auto mode collect .dng files and even bracketed if wanted?

I have not used it yet, but I've read complaints that the craft processes a pano and control locks up during that time and there is no way to disable that onboard processing. True?
That would be bad... for those of us who want to stich the panorama later and not tie up the drone (burning batt time) with this while on the job...

Typically automatic anything when it comes to cameras is a bad thing, sure there's exceptions to that rule but for drones in particular I have yet to see automatic anything perform as intended. The Mavic Pro had a fully automatic Panorama mode as well and it was terrible. I much prefer just shooting Panos by hand and stitching and editing in post manually .

Reactions: Eagle's Eye Photo
That would be bad... for those of us who want to stich the panorama later and not tie up the drone (burning batt time) with this while on the job...
I just flew my first AUTEL EVO II flight ever and tried Panorama Mode. It performed exactly the same as my P4P. Took the pics and prompted something about stitching not available in the sphere mode (?). Which is great, I want to build my panoramas at home with a little post processing for my construction clients. Anyway, no stopping to stitch panoramas..YAY!
Panos came out perfect. The P4P just got replaced....

I have shot MANY 360° x 180° panoramas with P4P and Inspire 2. I no longer have the P4P but I'd like to replace it with a small drone that shoots great quality panoramas. This is a 3Gpx panorama of Melbourne shot with I2/X7/50mm DL. OK, so firstly, ALWAYS capture DNGs using manual exposure - the same exposure for ALL frames. Convert your DNGs by making the SAME adjustments to all and save as jpegs, or Tiffs if you want more dynamic range adjustment, then stitch in PTGUI. UNFORTUNATELY, from my reading of this helpful forum, Autel does not focus on panoramas and doesn't have drone (small or large) that has this capability. I WOULD LOVE TO BE CORRECTED, so please inform me if I am wrong!!! 3Gpx aerial view of Melbourne from the High School

The best quality small drone that does Panorama shots is the DJI Air 2S. Its automated sequences do a pretty good job and spit out a JPG that represents a good idea of what the finished photo will look like. The Air 2S will also save a folder full of the RAW photos so they can be stitched the way you want.

As always, it is possible to shoot your own overlapping photos and stitch rather than relying on automation. EVO 2 and EVO Lite+ will give you great quality but I don't consider either one of them a small drone. The Autel Nano+ isn't currently a valid choice because its unique RYYB camera sensor does not yet produce proper DNGs that can be easily color corrected.

Reactions: herein2021
Clueless, looking at the images properties they are .jpg
Haven't had a chance to check image settings.
luismartinez this is a question that I would also like to know the answer to. The Autel Manual is silent on this matter. Without the DNG/RAW image format pano shooting will never be of the same quality as the Mavic2 Pro and I couldn't use it.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy