Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Night Flight: Autel 6K Lands on Under Construction Townhome Roof 1300ft away, Takes off, Goes home and lands on 4 foot wide 2nd story balcony.

quinn karter

Reaction score
Recreational Flight to test drones ability to maintain signal connection after landing on a 2 story Town House Complex under construction about 1300ft away. No tenants yet. Earlier in the day, I got permission from a representative of the townhouse complex to test it. The drone was equipped with a spot light and 3mile anti collision light beacons (firehouse). VLOS Maintained . After landing, signal strength was very poor. I expect it was due to the 2 foot perimeter wall /façade surrounding the roof. Cement and steel construction of the town home probably didn't help matters. If it landed, and I lost signal to controller completely, IT WOULD NOT HAVE RETURNED HOME, as it believed it found a new home landing point. To retrieve it, I suppose all I would have had to do is get closer to the building maybe a few hundred feet to re-establish the connection. Anyway, from the original launch point, I sent a signal to take off, but the signal delay was so significant, I pressed the button again, so it went up then started landing again, So, I took over manually and pushed the stick up before it landed again. The delay in signal reception from the r/c to the drone remained for almost the rest of the flight, even though I had no signal delay during the landing. It only occurred after I took off from the roof. It made the drone difficult to fly home as I would overcompensate with the controls when I saw no response from the drone's video feed, but when it did respond It caught my overcompensated control signal. I had to adjust for that until I got close to my original launch point. As you'll see I only had 20% battery left when I landed. The drone was about to do a RTH, but I landed just before it did. The drone would have tried to go back to the roof of the townhouse, because it automatically reset the home point to that location when I landed there. I would have cancelled it anyway, but if I didn't it would have gone back to the town house and landed on the roof again. That would have been embarrassing. Note: I posted, bolded and colored regulations green, so the, Oh so annoying, rule crazy posters don't have to guess.

Reactions: phantomrain.org
I think you can switch the home point to me. that way if you lose the signal again for some reason, the drone won't fly back to the rooftop while you are unable to regain a connection. you're braver than me while flying around at night with under 5 minutes of battery. looks like you could use a sc, not sure why all the latency.

Your right, good idea. I think I'll change that, especially if I try doing another stunt like that. My antenna is an amplified Alientech 2.4g. I turn it on each time before flight. It's what gave me the signal power to make the landing without getting stuck there. But the latency. The latency was insane. It wouldn't go away, until I got to about 4 or 5 hundred feet away from my location. It was like it needed to re-synchronize itself or something. I don't know what kind of transmission technology Autel uses, but is it like OCU-SYNC by DJI or a type of synchronization. It makes me think that Autel is using some kind of synchronization tech that I disrupted when I came close to breaking the signal between the R/C and drone. I'll have to research what technology autel is using to communicate between the R/C and drone.

Were a huge Fan of Remote Landings . This worked really well in showing you the limits of how low you can go , and its not to low.
We Remote land on the water up to 2 miles out with the DJI Drones and the same Home point reset occurs and we change that using the map to drag a new home point.

The Signal Lag is normal but catches up after a few minutes , One thing to note we use the Alien Dual with the Smooth Transmission and Auto , rather than the HD for the best results ?
Which transmission setting are you using ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Recreational Flight to test drones ability to maintain signal connection after landing on a 2 story Town House Complex under construction about 1300ft away. No tenants yet. Earlier in the day, I got permission from a representative of the townhouse complex to test it. The drone was equipped with a spot light and 3mile anti collision light beacons (firehouse). VLOS Maintained . After landing, signal strength was very poor. I expect it was due to the 2 foot perimeter wall /façade surrounding the roof. Cement and steel construction of the town home probably didn't help matters. If it landed, and I lost signal to controller completely, IT WOULD NOT HAVE RETURNED HOME, as it believed it found a new home landing point. To retrieve it, I suppose all I would have had to do is get closer to the building maybe a few hundred feet to re-establish the connection. Anyway, from the original launch point, I sent a signal to take off, but the signal delay was so significant, I pressed the button again, so it went up then started landing again, So, I took over manually and pushed the stick up before it landed again. The delay in signal reception from the r/c to the drone remained for almost the rest of the flight, even though I had no signal delay during the landing. It only occurred after I took off from the roof. It made the drone difficult to fly home as I would overcompensate with the controls when I saw no response from the drone's video feed, but when it did respond It caught my overcompensated control signal. I had to adjust for that until I got close to my original launch point. As you'll see I only had 20% battery left when I landed. The drone was about to do a RTH, but I landed just before it did. The drone would have tried to go back to the roof of the townhouse, because it automatically reset the home point to that location when I landed there. I would have cancelled it anyway, but if I didn't it would have gone back to the town house and landed on the roof again. That would have been embarrassing. Note: I posted, bolded and colored regulations green, so the, Oh so annoying, rule crazy posters don't have to guess.

Pretty cool. What spotlight are you using ?

Were a huge Fan of Remote Landings . This worked really well in showing you the limits of how low you can go , and its not to low.
We Remote land on the water up to 2 miles out with the DJI Drones and the same Home point reset occurs and we change that using the map to drag a new home point.

The Signal Lag is normal but catches up after a few minutes , One thing to note we use the Alien Dual with the Smooth Transmission and Auto , rather than the HD for the best results ?
Which transmission setting are you using ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
My Evo 2 is using an alientech power amplified 2.4ghz only antenna. It is set to smooth and Auto. I guess you using an Alienteh Dual because you are flying a DJI. EVO2s only use 2.4ghz. No 5ghz channel. I have noticed during my research, the lower the Ghz the further the distance the signal can travel, but it needs enough power to reduce signal interference. The lower the Ghz, also increases the penetration through solid objects. 5ghz has shorter distances, but needs more power to increase it's range distance. It is also better at transmitting data at faster rates. Thus, I would expect a DJI to have less signal lag, which they do from my own experience. The EVO2s develop signal lag a little bit easier.

Sir. Whether or not you post your comments in green red purple or polka dot it is clearly a violation of rule subset 107.69 code violation 2316 I have no choice but to fill your message box with reprimands and.demerits. If you are issued 7 demerits I will be forced to send messages in larger font with ALL CAPS… and I think we both know that you most definitely DO NOT want that kind of smoke my friend. Not. At. All

Sir. Whether or not you post your comments in green red purple or polka dot it is clearly a violation of rule subset 107.69 code violation 2316 I have no choice but to fill your message box with reprimands and.demerits. If you are issued 7 demerits I will be forced to send messages in larger font with ALL CAPS… and I think we both know that you most definitely DO NOT want that kind of smoke my friend. Not. At. All

Your response is 6 mnths after the original post. Are you being sarcastic? If not, please send me links to these codes and violation numbers. Remember , this flight was a recreation flight. I suspect your just playing.

lol. I didn’t even look at the age of the post. I Get on here sometimes (I can only handle it once every few months) and the amount of hall monitors who spent their childhood wishing they could somehow get a job in government as a “bvlos” incident investigator as long as they never had to face any dangers beyond keyboard reprimands of strangers via social media platform (I.e: cowards. aka keyboard killers) makes me Ill. Plus the day I posted this I crashed my evo 2 pro (within ten feet of myself, there is no case here for those heroes to investigate) and was in a bad mood. So when I saw that you had gone to the lengths of color coordinating your post to keep them at bay I had to say something.
My apologies

Last edited:
lol. I didn’t even look at the age of the post. I Get on here sometimes (I can only handle it once every few months) and the amount of hall monitors who spent their childhood wishing they could somehow get a job in government as a “bvlos” incident investigator as long as they never had to face any dangers beyond keyboard reprimands of strangers via social media platform (I.e: cowards. aka keyboard killers) makes me Ill. Plus the day I posted this I crashed my evo 2 pro (within ten feet of myself, there is no case here for those heroes to investigate) and was in a bad mood. So when I saw that you had gone to the lengths of color coordinating your post to keep them at bay I had to say something.
My apologies
I presented it that way because I was in a mood myself. I wish the "hall monitor" programing they received as children would somehow have abated over time, but our educational system has done a pretty good job at hardwiring it into the brains of these people. They always ask questions, like "high high were you flying? or How far from your home point were you? Did you have permission etc etc.? Then, i'm sure they click the "report" button and send what they perceive as rule violations to the admins. The Nazi's were good at self reporting their own neighbors.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo