Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

My EVO is gone !!

scoutie

Reaction score
Did two flights today and both to same exact location right at 6500ft. Returned first time with about 40% battery life left. Put another battery in that had 3 full lights with 4th flashing. Controller said I had 19 minutes flight time so I felt Ok to fly again. Took off to same spot and turned around and was heading back when battery showed about 48 % left. Just a few seconds later RTH initiated as it said battery was low and so I let it return home on its on. A few seconds after that I start getting critically low warnings and battery had now dropped to like 18 %. I panicked and started descending thinking maybe the winds were to much at 330ft. I saw the speed also slow to around 10mph so I kept trying to get it lower. Next thing I know its at 14% and it disconnected showing I had 3 minutes of time left. It never reconnected so I waited hoping to have it come back on its on but it never showed. I went looking at its last location at 5000 ft out but track took it through heavily wooded overgrown area which I think it landed or crashed in. I took my Spark out and flew over the path hoping to at least see it but never found it .
Dont know what happened but there should have been plenty of battery life to get it back. The levels dropped from 48% to 14% within a few seconds time. Called Autel and spoke to really nice folks who said they would help all they can. Sent me a questionnaire with basic questions about what happened . The person I spoke with said it could be covered under warranty . I told him if not I dont need the whole package again and just basically need the drone without battery. He said they would work with me and possibly offer discount to help out. Im waiting for response to see what the outcome is. Once I get another EVO I will be really reluctant to head out that far again because I feel it was some kind of battery failure .

Did two flights today and both to same exact location right at 6500ft. Returned first time with about 40% battery life left. Put another battery in that had 3 full lights with 4th flashing. Controller said I had 19 minutes flight time so I felt Ok to fly again. Took off to same spot and turned around and was heading back when battery showed about 48 % left. Just a few seconds later RTH initiated as it said battery was low and so I let it return home on its on. A few seconds after that I start getting critically low warnings and battery had now dropped to like 18 %. I panicked and started descending thinking maybe the winds were to much at 330ft. I saw the speed also slow to around 10mph so I kept trying to get it lower. Next thing I know its at 14% and it disconnected showing I had 3 minutes of time left. It never reconnected so I waited hoping to have it come back on its on but it never showed. I went looking at its last location at 5000 ft out but track took it through heavily wooded overgrown area which I think it landed or crashed in. I took my Spark out and flew over the path hoping to at least see it but never found it .
Dont know what happened but there should have been plenty of battery life to get it back. The levels dropped from 48% to 14% within a few seconds time. Called Autel and spoke to really nice folks who said they would help all they can. Sent me a questionnaire with basic questions about what happened . The person I spoke with said it could be covered under warranty . I told him if not I dont need the whole package again and just basically need the drone without battery. He said they would work with me and possibly offer discount to help out. Im waiting for response to see what the outcome is. Once I get another EVO I will be really reluctant to head out that far again because I feel it was some kind of battery failure .
That battery issue is very common. Always recharge them every time that day or at the very least the night before. Never trust the lights if you haven't charged it within those times.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
I generally don't fly on a battery that isn't full but controller also indicated 19 minutes time left so I felt ok. Those minutes turned into only seconds in the end and I'll never do that again.

I hear you. It happened to me with 2 consecutive batteries and the first time I was way out. Got lucky and just got it home. It went from 37 to 7 instantly. That battery got replaced because it was faulty at no charge. The other one I had charged like a week before and still showed 3 lights. It did the same thing but the battery was fine.

Since I am not the only one this has happened to that tells me Autel knows this is an issue. Funny thing is after flying the Spark for the last year I was always making sure to get it back around the 10 minute mark at the most. I did this with the EVO at first and then realized I had a lot more flight time left as it wasnt the Spark. I have been flying longer times recently but today is one time I had wished I hadnt. When I do get a replacement the only way I know to test my 3 remaining batteries is to test each one and let the EVO hover and see how long it lasts. That or send all three back and have them test them.

When you are planning to fly with any drone, make sure you are aware of the following things: battery is full for the aircraft and controller, make sure the winds are not strong. This can kill fast the battery because it use more juice to finish the mission.

Reactions: Phillyjon
As I’ve mentioned a few times before, I lost an XSP over a waterfall in Hawaii. Battery was pretty new, full at take-off, flight was about 15min in, then I suddenly got a battery critically low warning “landing now”. It went from 20% to 10% to 3% in seconds. While I could control it, there was no way I could climb high enough in 20 sec to clear the canyon wall. I landed on a rock, but the water took it away before I could climb down. Autel was very helpful, studied the flight log, realized it was a faulty battery, and replaced the XSP.

Since then, I’ve been very anal about battery maintenance, full discharge every 20 cycles, charge right before I fly, never fly on partial charges. It happened again, a year later, out over the ocean, but I had just enough juice to climb the sea cliff and get it back — it was damn close. I don’t trust that battery anymore, I only use it when flying in totally safe, easy retrieval areas.

Remember in RTH when you decend it and let go of the controller knob it will go back to the RTH height. In doing so its using up batt. life. I don't like that feature and wish it could be changed.

Remember in RTH when you decend it and let go of the controller knob it will go back to the RTH height. In doing so its using up batt. life. I don't like that feature and wish it could be changed.
Yes it does, and you can change that height.... BUT, when you get the “critical low battery landing now” warning, it does not go up to that programmed height, it simply lands immediately in the nearest place the sensors deem safe...

Since I am not the only one this has happened to that tells me Autel knows this is an issue. Funny thing is after flying the Spark for the last year I was always making sure to get it back around the 10 minute mark at the most. I did this with the EVO at first and then realized I had a lot more flight time left as it wasnt the Spark. I have been flying longer times recently but today is one time I had wished I hadnt. When I do get a replacement the only way I know to test my 3 remaining batteries is to test each one and let the EVO hover and see how long it lasts. That or send all three back and have them test them.
You really need to read your manual. You can check the batteries within the explorer app. Also keep an eye out for the battery swelling. You can do a reset on the battery by draining it to 5-7% then fully recharge it again and go back into the explorer app and see if the cells are within a good level. If you think they're not just call Autel.

You really need to read your manual. You can check the batteries within the explorer app. Also keep an eye out for the battery swelling. You can do a reset on the battery by draining it to 5-7% then fully recharge it again and go back into the explorer app and see if the cells are within a good level. If you think they're not just call Autel.
Yes indeed, and know that it’s a known issue for drone LiPo batteries pretty much across the board. Search DJI forums, it happens to them too...

What was the final altitude before it disconnected? Were you flying with controller only or did you have the app open? If it was sending you data, it told you exactly where it was within meters. Start at that point, then walk towards where you were standing.
On the Android app, touch on the map to open it, on the right are four circles, the bottom circle looks like a drone in crosshairs, touch it to open the last known location and it shows exactly where it was before it disconnected. This is like Geocaching for good prizes... I'd definitely go spend a day trying to find it. Still, sorry for your loss. I know how upset I'd be.

What was the final altitude before it disconnected? Were you flying with controller only or did you have the app open? If it was sending you data, it told you exactly where it was within meters. Start at that point, then walk towards where you were standing.
On the Android app, touch on the map to open it, on the right are four circles, the bottom circle looks like a drone in crosshairs, touch it to open the last known location and it shows exactly where it was before it disconnected. This is like Geocaching for good prizes... I'd definitely go spend a day trying to find it. Still, sorry for your loss. I know how upset I'd be.
Yup, totally agree, I left-off that part. I have never NOT found mine, no matter if I crashed, or a battery crapped-out. I saw the water wash one away, but I did find it, just couldn’t get to it in time... It can be as much as 20-30’ off the map coordinates, but you’ll find it if you grid you’re search methodically. Orange is helpful too, having the lights still blinking even better. Even after a battery death spiral, the lights blink for a longer time than you’d think...

I was still like at 330ft and RTH had already begun. My RTH height is set at 275ft but I never saw it descend even after that. The speed that was frozen on the screen was 22mph and like 310 ft although I saw it seconds before decreasing and then going back up. When all of this was happening it was disconnecting and reconnecting. I drove to the spot on the map where I got the last info which was over a huge parking lot but it was not there. Thats when I figured it kept going for a while over the heavy wooded area which I cannot even access. I use my I pad Mini 4 which did show the last location but like I said I thought it kept going and must have.I was going to fly the Spark again over this area and look and see if I see it. What I thought of afterwards is that I should have taken the controller with me to last spot and tried to reconnect with it. I might have got an exact location then even if it was a brief connect. Yes it was upsetting and my last hope was that I was going to see it coming home for a landing but that never happened. Still havent heard back from Autel which is starting to worry me. I have since purchased the Marco Polo unit to attach to my next EVO.

I was still like at 330ft and RTH had already begun. My RTH height is set at 275ft but I never saw it descend even after that. The speed that was frozen on the screen was 22mph and like 310 ft although I saw it seconds before decreasing and then going back up. When all of this was happening it was disconnecting and reconnecting. I drove to the spot on the map where I got the last info which was over a huge parking lot but it was not there. Thats when I figured it kept going for a while over the heavy wooded area which I cannot even access. I use my I pad Mini 4 which did show the last location but like I said I thought it kept going and must have.I was going to fly the Spark again over this area and look and see if I see it. What I thought of afterwards is that I should have taken the controller with me to last spot and tried to reconnect with it. I might have got an exact location then even if it was a brief connect. Yes it was upsetting and my last hope was that I was going to see it coming home for a landing but that never happened. Still havent heard back from Autel which is starting to worry me. I have since purchased the Marco Polo unit to attach to my next EVO.

Marco Polo unit ?

Just got update from Autel and was told tech support said because I took off with 75% battery level it is not under warranty and was pilot error. I said I understood that but that did not explain having 48% battery in one moment and seconds later 14%. He said he knew that and that was not final decision. He is going to speak with vice president next week at CES and see what else they can do. At least they are looking to help for now and not just telling me its not their problem....

Just got update from Autel and was told tech support said because I took off with 75% battery level it is not under warranty and was pilot error. I said I understood that but that did not explain having 48% battery in one moment and seconds later 14%. He said he knew that and that was not final decision. He is going to speak with vice president next week at CES and see what else they can do. At least they are looking to help for now and not just telling me its not their problem....
I like how they try to at least help you and go further. If it was DJI, they would tell you is your fault and you will need to pay for repairs.

Reactions: Brig57 and scoutie
I like how they try to at least help you and go further. If it was DJI, they would tell you is your fault and you will need to pay for repairs.
I agree..when I called today no one picked up so I left a message. Not long afterwards they sent me an email apologizing for missing my call and then called me back. It was also the same guy I spoke with on Thursday and he remembered me and what had happened. I thought this was great customer service...

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barry.bain