Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Evo 2 640t dual crash

jumpstartrider

Reaction score
Ugh. So i was using my drone at night. I was around 300 yards away and with 8 minutes left and it said battery low, returning home. Halfway i panned for 3-5 seconds to check something, then hit return home again. It wouldnt do it and decided to land from 200', unresposive to anything. It was dark and went offline at 120'. Stomach sinks and nausea takes over. Lol. I had tested its limits on battery. I found it in a thick 4' layer of vines on the ground below an oak tree with battery popped out 4' away. A propeller had a small cut, the gimbal had two rubber dampeners popped off, a spin on cover for rear vision sensor cracked was about all i saw. The camera was what i feared as its the most expensive.

Autel sent free dampers. As i waited, i tested everything on the ground and thermal camera still worked.

After installing dampeners, all calibrations successfully completed and worked fine. First take off, during the day, rear sensor on one side kept saying 8' all the way up to 100' in height. It wouldnt fly backwards when rear obstacle was detected. I tested and everything else was fine. I landed, rebooted and took it up again. This time rear obstacle finally turned off, still stayed on longer than other sensors and im thinking i touched the red arc and told it to turn off the alert.(can anyone confirm if this is even possible). The red beeping arch disappeared. Everything worked as it should.

Took a flight that night(obstacle avoidance doesnt work at night), check thermal camera. Everything great.

Took it out again today to test one last time and rear obstacle woouldnt turn off. I couldnt get it to turn off. And i couldnt go backwards. Nothing i did would fix it.

Autels lead time is 2 months, and i use this drone at night only. So sensor isnt an issue. And my nightly work is seasonal and over in 2 months. So ill send it in then. But im thinking i might buy a rear sensor piece and replace it myself. Video looks easy enough that i saw online.

Anyone else have any input? 120' fall is crazy, and the oak tree either saved it, or caused it. Im unsure if battery died at 120' or if the drone hit the tree, or an owl took it out. I dont know. Surely the vines saved it in a fall. And rear sensors have issues as they took a hit since plastic spin on orange cover was cracked. Lens look clear, no cracking.

Thank you for any help.

• Wow
Reactions: GM Dave
Ugh. So i was using my drone at night. I was around 300 yards away and with 8 minutes left and it said battery low, returning home. Halfway i panned for 3-5 seconds to check something, then hit return home again. It wouldnt do it and decided to land from 200', unresposive to anything. It was dark and went offline at 120'. Stomach sinks and nausea takes over. Lol. I had tested its limits on battery. I found it in a thick 4' layer of vines on the ground below an oak tree with battery popped out 4' away. A propeller had a small cut, the gimbal had two rubber dampeners popped off, a spin on cover for rear vision sensor cracked was about all i saw. The camera was what i feared as its the most expensive.

Autel sent free dampers. As i waited, i tested everything on the ground and thermal camera still worked.

After installing dampeners, all calibrations successfully completed and worked fine. First take off, during the day, rear sensor on one side kept saying 8' all the way up to 100' in height. It wouldnt fly backwards when rear obstacle was detected. I tested and everything else was fine. I landed, rebooted and took it up again. This time rear obstacle finally turned off, still stayed on longer than other sensors and im thinking i touched the red arc and told it to turn off the alert.(can anyone confirm if this is even possible). The red beeping arch disappeared. Everything worked as it should.

Took a flight that night(obstacle avoidance doesnt work at night), check thermal camera. Everything great.

Took it out again today to test one last time and rear obstacle woouldnt turn off. I couldnt get it to turn off. And i couldnt go backwards. Nothing i did would fix it.

Autels lead time is 2 months, and i use this drone at night only. So sensor isnt an issue. And my nightly work is seasonal and over in 2 months. So ill send it in then. But im thinking i might buy a rear sensor piece and replace it myself. Video looks easy enough that i saw online.

Anyone else have any input? 120' fall is crazy, and the oak tree either saved it, or caused it. Im unsure if battery died at 120' or if the drone hit the tree, or an owl took it out. I dont know. Surely the vines saved it in a fall. And rear sensors have issues as they took a hit since plastic spin on orange cover was cracked. Lens look clear, no cracking.

Thank you for any help.
8 minutes left before you land at night ? That's crazy stuff.😳

It's a gamble. You buy the sensor and attempt an R&R and if that still doesn't resolve the issue, you're season is over anyway. If you send it in, your use of the drone is zero.

Me, flying at night, I'd ground the drone when it reaches 33%. Given the investment, I'm not gambling on the Seinfeld-how-many-miles-can-I-drive-until-it-reaches-empty episode. It's not as if it'll just coast to the side of the road and I can call AAA.

Reactions: EBERLS
I've noticed if I fly 22mph and not ascend and go forward my crit batteries do just fine. If I go ludacris and take off and go straight up while going straight forward it'll crit my old batteries in less than 20secs. My last crit I did a visual confirmation on a calf that somehow got outside the wire for 3 days. Found the calf alone in pasture and turned on boom light and quickly made sure it was all black in color before it stood up and moved. I got the visual confirmation and I was at 3,220 ft from take off and 14mins left on battery. But my speed was set at 22mph and I haven't had a crit yet. 2mins after visual returning to home it critted in mid air and stopped. I started screen shooting it's location as it started its decent outside the wire. When I got to my drone as you can see in the footage I forgot to turn off my boom light... causing and extra load on the battery making it land.. then uploaded my intelligence of missing calf to the calvary right as sun came up. Like clockwork.

So far my drone has located:

3 steers going on 3 days on 100 degree weather without water.

4 goats

3 calves

Lots of coyotes of course.

I've included a compilation of my critz

Reactions: GrimtheViking

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo