Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

MAVIC 3....a Huge dissapointment! AUTEL, this is your chance ! Do not Blow it !

GeoDrone SRL

Reaction score
After I have seen all tests and downloaded the M3 video (raw), is clear to me a few things:
1. The Sony IMX camera from Evo2PRO is at least same quality as this 4/3 sensor...
2. The FLY app will not support Missions !!!!! Also will not support waypoints for video ! A huge mistake from DJI !!!!
3. If AUTEL is moving now just to optimize the AUTEL EXPLORER APP and fix all bugs and also help with a little improvements like ones asked in here, DJI have lost it's battle with M3...as a lot of owners will suck it when will see same quality but less performance...

AUTEL, THIS IS YOUR WINDOW OF OPPORTUNITY AND WILL CLOSE IN 1-2 MONTHS...
TAKE IT !

let's not forget the original dji sc is not compatible with the m3. if you want to use a smart controller, you have to pay for the dji sc pro which is $1,200. so far there are no indications that dji has plans to make it compatible so they are breaking their promise which said the sc will be compatible with future drones. the dji fanboys are totally up in arms and are complaining the only reason why they bought the sc in 2020 and 2021 was so they could use it for a future drone. sounds familiar?

but dji will get a pass because they haven't come up and said it absolutely will never work. instead they will have to be bombarded with emails, endless posts containing complaints on their forum, emails and phone calls and petitions....and then they MIGHT release it. autel pilots are not happy that the autel sc v2 does not work with nano/lite; same thing. i just hope autel pilots recognize autel is not the only manufacturer breaking promises.

the dji sc and sc pro are practically the same controller with some differences and a huge price difference. dji strategy is to try to get people onto the new controller because the older controller is sub-standard and less "modern" and dji would prefer to stop supporting older equipment having to keep the software updated and compatible, parts, etc. if they light up thousands of old sc nobody will buy the sc pro, there's nothing to be gained for $500 more. i don't blame dji for wanting all drones work with one sc. so they launch the sc pro and it works with exactly one drone, the m3. won't work with mini, m2, m2p, ma2, ma2s but i believe they will make it happen. and then by the summer, they MIGHT get around to original sc. until then, it is obsolete and so are the goggles. dji big huge company with their pulse on the drone community....and we point to autel mistakes?

let's not even start talking about active track and waypoints and obstacle avoidance and other missing features. can you really call it a "launch" when the product is 70% ready? i bet the nano/lite is 70%+ ready right now. i understand you can't wait until a product is perfect but depending on what type of company you are, 80% to 90% is a better target. ymmv

btw, autel will not be able to take advantage. 1 or 2 months is not enough time....to do anything that is effective. it will take years if not a decade for autel to pull along side dji so they should probably do their own thing and don't hurt themselves trying. dji can get away with alot of things that autel cannot. sorry for the long post, lots of dji activity going on right now.

After I have seen all tests and downloaded the M3 video (raw), is clear to me a few things:
1. The Sony IMX camera from Evo2PRO is at least same quality as this 4/3 sensor...
2. The FLY app will not support Missions !!!!! Also will not support waypoints for video ! A huge mistake from DJI !!!!
3. If AUTEL is moving now just to optimize the AUTEL EXPLORER APP and fix all bugs and also help with a little improvements like ones asked in here, DJI have lost it's battle with M3...as a lot of owners will suck it when will see same quality but less performance...

AUTEL, THIS IS YOUR WINDOW OF OPPORTUNITY AND WILL CLOSE IN 1-2 MONTHS...
TAKE IT !

That is interesting, was the footage H.265 or ProRes? More than likely the EVO 3 will have the same sensor; DJI does not make their own sensors and the most likely maker for their sensors is Sony. I wouldn't be surprised if the EVO 2 and the Mavic Pro 2 have the same sensor. I know everyone especially DJI made a big deal about the Hasselblad acquisition but Hasselblad did not make their own sensors either and used Sony sensors just like everyone else.

Also, if the footage you downloaded and tested was DLOG footage then that will explain everything; DLOG, unless DJI greatly improved it, uses a terrible LOG curve vs ALOG which is fantastic.

btw, autel will not be able to take advantage. 1 or 2 months is not enough time....to do anything that is effective. it will take years if not a decade for autel to pull along side dji so they should probably do their own thing and don't hurt themselves trying. dji can get away with alot of things that autel cannot. sorry for the long post, lots of dji activity going on right now.

I agree with you, Autel is at least 2yrs behind DJI in most areas; but as long as it does not have geofencing I personally couldn't care less and I doubt anyone currently using Autel will jump back to DJI just because of the M3. The reality is; the only people who jump from system to system are YouTubers who get paid to promote this stuff and financially well off hobbyists who get pulled into the hype.

Most professional shooters that I know use whatever they have until it makes economic sense to use something else. Of course there are exceptions and I know a few that always must own the latest gear but even those few usually have a well paying day job.

Last edited:
That is interesting, was the footage H.265 or ProRes? More than likely the EVO 3 will have the same sensor; DJI does not make their own sensors and the most likely maker for their sensors is Sony. I wouldn't be surprised if the EVO 2 and the Mavic Pro 2 have the same sensor. I know everyone especially DJI made a big deal about the Hasselblad acquisition but Hasselblad did not make their own sensors either and used Sony sensors just like everyone else.

Also, if the footage you downloaded and tested was DLOG footage then that will explain everything; DLOG, unless DJI greatly improved it, uses a terrible LOG curve vs ALOG which is fantastic.

I agree with you, Autel is at least 2yrs behind DJI in most areas; but as long as it does not have geofencing I personally couldn't care less and I doubt anyone currently using Autel will jump back to DJI just because of the M3. The reality is; the only people who jump from system to system are YouTubers who get paid to promote this stuff and financially well off hobbyists who get pulled into the hype.

Most professional shooters that I know use whatever they have until it makes economic sense to use something else. Of course there are exceptions and I know a few that always must own the latest gear but even those few usually have a well paying day job.
LOG tested...I am not interested in Normal, I edit all footage and Normal is used only in exceptions like very dark...

Reactions: herein2021
LOG tested...I am not interested in Normal, I edit all footage and Normal is used only in exceptions like very dark...

It is probably just DJI's usual terrible DLOG implementation then and it does not sound like it was a ProRes sample which is straight off of the sensor. It would be great to see ProRes LT in the EVO 3. With the Autel's ALOG it handles all situations very well; even night footage, so I've never shot anything but ALOG with the EVO II; I don't trust any profile that tries to "help" me get the right look.

A chance to do what exactly? Maybe announce drones and then delay their launch for months?
I have tested M3 vs E2P....E2P is capable of same quality but needs a fast optimisation of APP....that is it...only app...If they improve now the app, M3 is busted. And it can be done easy:
1. Increase H264 Mbps as it can be sustained
2. Fix the few bugs
3. Optimize the app and smart modes.

Autel already have a M3 competitor, but they are terrible in marketing...

I have tested M3 vs E2P....E2P is capable of same quality but needs a fast optimisation of APP....that is it...only app...If they improve now the app, M3 is busted. And it can be done easy:
1. Increase H264 Mbps as it can be sustained
2. Fix the few bugs
3. Optimize the app and smart modes.

Autel already have a M3 competitor, but they are terrible in marketing...

From what I've read, the app for the M3 is pretty terrible as well, overly simplified for photographers/videographers who want to fully control their settings. JPG only when using the optical zoom lens? No Aperture or Shutter priority modes? No custom WB modes? Might as well be a flying cell phone.

One thing I will be interested to see in the tests is if it actually does fly 46min. DJI is usually pretty accurate in their flight time claims unlike Autel who continues to propagate one of the biggest lies that I've ever seen in marketing....the EVO II 6K couldn't fly for 40min if it were dropped from a plane with a parachute. Before the EVO II even leaves the ground it shows only 33min remaining. With DJI's larger user base they would never be able to get away with such wildly inaccurate claims.

Reactions: G_G
With the EVO2 Enterprise larger motors & props... I'm assuming additional payloads, including a MFT payload... hopefully with lens options. Like the Zenmuse X5R originally offered, it's conceivable ProRes, CinimaDNG, etc and fast storage could be included in payload and not require a new platform to include.... with newer smaller electronics, possible speculation.

The ability to interchange payloads places the EVO2 series above the M3P in my opinion. It can be utilized in so many additional roles with add-on features (light, speaker, etc), thermo, RTK, etc.

Autel with 10% or less of the market might not be as capital-flush as DJI, and needs to execute more wisely. Any manufacturer who intends to remain in the US market must have RID baked into every design that is for sale beyond mid-September 2022. The specs are still being batted around. Does the Mavic Pro 3 have RID already? Doubtful, without it being touted in the specs. (no one AFAIK is claiming they already have it built in to any current production models, ready to switch on). DJI is established enough to have the capital and capability to iterate quickly but others maybe not enough sales volume and market share. DJI may also be in a tricky spot in that the FCC might not rubberstamp their new models for licenses with the Entities List rearing its head again in the past month. Seems a wise move that Autel is holding back on their AEPro 3 with 4/3ds camera until protocols for RID are in place. They don't need to bring out a major revamp with a shelf life of less than 9-10 mos

I'm counting on and assume with all the existing models (I own several large pricey platforms) right up to the RID Date there will be multiple methodologies: OEM add-on, 3rd Party, etc that will provide a RID module... most likely small unit to velcro or attach onto craft. The question is how small a unit can be made that meets the requirements.

I doubt Autel will wait until RID to release EVO3.
They'll want rumors to circulate and product available I'm guessing by late Spring as latest.

Autel with 10% or less of the market might not be as capital-flush as DJI, and needs to execute more wisely. Any manufacturer who intends to remain in the US market must have RID baked into every design that is for sale beyond mid-September 2022. The specs are still being batted around. Does the Mavic Pro 3 have RID already? Doubtful, without it being touted in the specs. (no one AFAIK is claiming they already have it built in to any current production models, ready to switch on). DJI is established enough to have the capital and capability to iterate quickly but others maybe not enough sales volume and market share. DJI may also be in a tricky spot in that the FCC might not rubberstamp their new models for licenses with the Entities List rearing its head again in the past month. Seems a wise move that Autel is holding back on their AEPro 3 with 4/3ds camera until protocols for RID are in place. They don't need to bring out a major revamp with a shelf life of less than 9-10 mos
im a pessimist when it comes to rid so i am predicting nothing short of a disaster. i agree autel cannot afford to launch "the big one" without knowing if they are on the mark with rid or not. you cannot depend on the module. it's too risky. dji waited long enough and said screw it but we all know the mavic 3 doesn't comply fully....because nobody knows what it means to comply. if we get a mavic 3 pro that is rid ready, people who paid alot for m3 are going to be pissed. but dji can handle it. autel cannot handle something like that, it would be fatal. if i were to predict, i would say rid falls apart at the last minute and we buy more time.

Autel recently released the EVO 2 Enterprise... 2 options with pricey Thermals.
These kits aren't even a year old, not even fully available... and released to market.
The Enterprise kit is a larger investment... the EVO3 product is already in stage... they'll get it to market when possible... especially being a small company that needs revenue in motion.

The Nano and Lite, same thing... needs to move to generate revenue.
What ever the RID requires will be on the next model... all those in motion will be adapted.

let's not forget the original dji sc is not compatible with the m3. if you want to use a smart controller, you have to pay for the dji sc pro which is $1,200. so far there are no indications that dji has plans to make it compatible so they are breaking their promise which said the sc will be compatible with future drones. the dji fanboys are totally up in arms and are complaining the only reason why they bought the sc in 2020 and 2021 was so they could use it for a future drone. sounds familiar?

but dji will get a pass because they haven't come up and said it absolutely will never work. instead they will have to be bombarded with emails, endless posts containing complaints on their forum, emails and phone calls and petitions....and then they MIGHT release it. autel pilots are not happy that the autel sc v2 does not work with nano/lite; same thing. i just hope autel pilots recognize autel is not the only manufacturer breaking promises.

the dji sc and sc pro are practically the same controller with some differences and a huge price difference. dji strategy is to try to get people onto the new controller because the older controller is sub-standard and less "modern" and dji would prefer to stop supporting older equipment having to keep the software updated and compatible, parts, etc. if they light up thousands of old sc nobody will buy the sc pro, there's nothing to be gained for $500 more. i don't blame dji for wanting all drones work with one sc. so they launch the sc pro and it works with exactly one drone, the m3. won't work with mini, m2, m2p, ma2, ma2s but i believe they will make it happen. and then by the summer, they MIGHT get around to original sc. until then, it is obsolete and so are the goggles. dji big huge company with their pulse on the drone community....and we point to autel mistakes?

let's not even start talking about active track and waypoints and obstacle avoidance and other missing features. can you really call it a "launch" when the product is 70% ready? i bet the nano/lite is 70%+ ready right now. i understand you can't wait until a product is perfect but depending on what type of company you are, 80% to 90% is a better target. ymmv

Speaking of compatibility issues, I was just wondering if you've tried to get an Autel sc for your EVO II lately . . . .?

Autel recently released the EVO 2 Enterprise... 2 options with pricey Thermals.
These kits aren't even a year old, not even fully available... and released to market.
The Enterprise kit is a larger investment... the EVO3 product is already in stage... they'll get it to market when possible... especially being a small company that needs revenue in motion.

The Nano and Lite, same thing... needs to move to generate revenue.
What ever the RID requires will be on the next model... all those in motion will be adapted.
Read the Final Rule again. It says RID that cannot be defeated must be built-into sUAS over 249g in the US market by Sept 2022 . Tack-on Modules are only good for end-users, to retrofit onto prior products, beyond 2023. Manufacturers either have to comply with this within 10 months for everything offered for sale in the US beyond that date, or they hit that wall. From the viewpoint of the manufacturer, it'd be a Hail Mary pass to launch a major release you've got to pull from the shelves so quickly. The Mavic Pro 3 release may be just that, given their FCC registrations are in danger of being yanked due to the recent Entities List declaration (and perhaps explaining why it M3 seems so unfinished. Expect some killer deals come next August-- though after-sale support might be rather sketchy)

Last edited:
Read the Final Rule again. It says RID that cannot be defeated must be built-into sUAS over 249g in the US market by Sept 2022 . Tack-on Modules are only good for end-users, to retrofit onto prior products, beyond 2023. Manufacturers either have to comply with this within 10 months for everything offered for sale in the US beyond that date, or they hit that wall. From the viewpoint of the manufacturer, it'd be a Hail Mary pass to launch a major release you've got to pull from the shelves so quickly. The Mavic Pro 3 release may be just that, given their FCC registrations are in danger of being yanked due to the recent Entities List declaration (and perhaps explaining why it M3 seems so unfinished. Expect some killer deals come next August-- though after-sale support might be rather sketchy)
OK, and… if released prior to mandate date of “built-in” the craft would receive an add-on module by the Buyer.
The EVO3 product is most likely already in the flow, and like the Nano, Lite, EVO 2 Ent, M3P, and several other Brands… RID is not yet built into the hardware.

All the “Read the Final Rule” indicates is product built after Sept 2022 (and grace period) must have RID built-in… product built prior (manufacture build date, not sold date) does not require RID built-in and will require the Buyer to provide RID add-on.

My opinion, it’d be foolish of Autel to hold a product already developed, that’s in the final stages of manufacturing for release after Sept 2022 so it can take back into development and integrate a RID module when it could release prior and pass responsibility on to the Consumer... 3rd Party can develop RID module or Autel can develop a RID Module for their Pre-RID Mandate crafts… Hmmm? Another revenue source... most would likely prefer add-on RID made by Autel, DJI, Skydio, etc compared to a 3rd Party unless the 3rd party makes a better unit / price.

You act like this is a complex component, vital to be included on craft as a Go/NoGo for successful sale.
It’s not, it’s end scope is a small radio unit that will or won‘t have integration in Craft‘s FW or as a separate program running on RC Interface (phone, tablet, SC, etc).

Originally it did have an alarming note to it, while the new mandate was being developed it was discussed if it would be allowed/developed for older crafts… that was alarming for all current Crafts “Owned“ and for the interim period manufactures would need to continue selling new hardware. When it was modified to allow existing platforms to be retro fitted with add-on module… the anxiety relaxed. Not an urgency to incorporate into new crafts, which is why you’re seeing multiple Brands continue to release product without concern. All newly released prior to Mandate “Build Date” can be retro fitted by Buyer; in-directly the responsibility to conform is passed to Buyer.

We’ll see… My bet is they need the income more than anything. Autel’s Mgmt is in a disarray, and maintaining a profit drives production. Same for other‘s… DJI isn’t alarmed and continues to release products. I’m sure they all have their ”Teams” working on RID integration for the upcoming date. I’d also bet they are working with 3rd Party to develop the module that they can acquire and implement, that same 3rd Party may also provide a similar version to the Pre-Mandate Crafts & Owners.

All speculation… you may or may not be correct.

From the viewpoint of the manufacturer, it'd be a Hail Mary pass to launch a major release you've got to pull from the shelves so quickly.
You’re indicating “Sold Date”, not “Built Date”. Meaning all products made or to be made prior to Mandate Date… currently new on shelf in stores, etc would require factory recall to retro… nah!

They’ll be multiple Brands & Crafts in Stores, Distribution Centers, etc as NOS when this mandate becomes enforced. All that product won’t be pulled from shelf’s an returned or destroyed as unfit to sell; just means an add-on RID module will need to be acquired prior to legal flight. Regardless of being made 3, 2, 1 years ago and new on shelf, or 3 months prior to mandate… no difference, just requires add-on RID.

Speaking of compatibility issues, I was just wondering if you've tried to get an Autel sc for your EVO II lately . . . .?
i have not kept track on sc availability as i have a v1 drone and v1 sc and am not yet interested in v2 equipment until the evo3 is closer. however, that might change if v2 sc is made compatible with lite and nano. what's going on....are v2 sc units low in stock?

i have not kept track on sc availability as i have a v1 drone and v1 sc and am not yet interested in v2 equipment until the evo3 is closer. however, that might change if v2 sc is made compatible with lite and nano. what's going on....are v2 sc units low in stock?
there is no plans on making SC compatible with nano or lite.

The original DJI SC is now 3 years old and was made compatible with future drones, but that ended with the M3, which uses a much more sophisticated version of OcuSync that is simply not backwards compatible with the OcuSync version in the original SC, which has been long in the tooth for quite a while, needing a hardware update. Instead of complaining about a lack of backwards compatibility, DJI owners are actually rejoicing the updated hardware in the new SC Pro, specifically designed to support the M3's newest OcuSync 3+ transmission protocol. Any comparisons to Autel Robotics and their SC V1 and SC V2 fiasco are unwarranted.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller