Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

MAVIC 3....a Huge dissapointment! AUTEL, this is your chance ! Do not Blow it !

let's not forget the original dji sc is not compatible with the m3. if you want to use a smart controller, you have to pay for the dji sc pro which is $1,200. so far there are no indications that dji has plans to make it compatible so they are breaking their promise which said the sc will be compatible with future drones. the dji fanboys are totally up in arms and are complaining the only reason why they bought the sc in 2020 and 2021 was so they could use it for a future drone. sounds familiar?

but dji will get a pass because they haven't come up and said it absolutely will never work. instead they will have to be bombarded with emails, endless posts containing complaints on their forum, emails and phone calls and petitions....and then they MIGHT release it. autel pilots are not happy that the autel sc v2 does not work with nano/lite; same thing. i just hope autel pilots recognize autel is not the only manufacturer breaking promises.

the dji sc and sc pro are practically the same controller with some differences and a huge price difference. dji strategy is to try to get people onto the new controller because the older controller is sub-standard and less "modern" and dji would prefer to stop supporting older equipment having to keep the software updated and compatible, parts, etc. if they light up thousands of old sc nobody will buy the sc pro, there's nothing to be gained for $500 more. i don't blame dji for wanting all drones work with one sc. so they launch the sc pro and it works with exactly one drone, the m3. won't work with mini, m2, m2p, ma2, ma2s but i believe they will make it happen. and then by the summer, they MIGHT get around to original sc. until then, it is obsolete and so are the goggles. dji big huge company with their pulse on the drone community....and we point to autel mistakes?

let's not even start talking about active track and waypoints and obstacle avoidance and other missing features. can you really call it a "launch" when the product is 70% ready? i bet the nano/lite is 70%+ ready right now. i understand you can't wait until a product is perfect but depending on what type of company you are, 80% to 90% is a better target. ymmv

btw, autel will not be able to take advantage. 1 or 2 months is not enough time....to do anything that is effective. it will take years if not a decade for autel to pull along side dji so they should probably do their own thing and don't hurt themselves trying. dji can get away with alot of things that autel cannot. sorry for the long post, lots of dji activity going on right now.
The M3 at 70% ready is far better than any other drone is at 100%
I would hope by now the nano and lite drones are at least 70% ready by now its only been 2 months
since they were paper announced.
When the M3 is fully functional early next year and at 100% ,Autel may as well not even try to compete.
The battle is over before it began.

• Haha
Reactions: rcee
im a pessimist when it comes to rid so i am predicting nothing short of a disaster. i agree autel cannot afford to launch "the big one" without knowing if they are on the mark with rid or not. you cannot depend on the module. it's too risky. dji waited long enough and said screw it but we all know the mavic 3 doesn't comply fully....because nobody knows what it means to comply. if we get a mavic 3 pro that is rid ready, people who paid alot for m3 are going to be pissed. but dji can handle it. autel cannot handle something like that, it would be fatal. if i were to predict, i would say rid falls apart at the last minute and we buy more time.
Agree with you on RID falling apart at the last minute,and as far as I am concerned it can fall apart permanently.
Have a good one

After I have seen all tests and downloaded the M3 video (raw), is clear to me a few things:
1. The Sony IMX camera from Evo2PRO is at least same quality as this 4/3 sensor...
2. The FLY app will not support Missions !!!!! Also will not support waypoints for video ! A huge mistake from DJI !!!!
3. If AUTEL is moving now just to optimize the AUTEL EXPLORER APP and fix all bugs and also help with a little improvements like ones asked in here, DJI have lost it's battle with M3...as a lot of owners will suck it when will see same quality but less performance...

AUTEL, THIS IS YOUR WINDOW OF OPPORTUNITY AND WILL CLOSE IN 1-2 MONTHS...
TAKE IT !
Yes DJI should have waited a few more months to release it with everything updated they did not
Probably due to the Xmas holiday to catch early sales.
However there is so much talk on this forum about the M3,I know along with the whining about this not working,that not working and
they could have or should have done this.
I think Autel knows that when the bugs are worked out of the M3 early next year and the Mavic3 is at 100% function,they will not be able
to touch it.
And then we have Autel with their latest PAPER announcement on the nano and Lite drones back in Sept.,well now its the beginning
of Dec.,where are they? And before anything is said DJI has product ready to ship on release day.
So to make a long story short if Autel had a window of opportunity thats already closed.

From what I've read, the app for the M3 is pretty terrible as well, overly simplified for photographers/videographers who want to fully control their settings. JPG only when using the optical zoom lens? No Aperture or Shutter priority modes? No custom WB modes? Might as well be a flying cell phone.

One thing I will be interested to see in the tests is if it actually does fly 46min. DJI is usually pretty accurate in their flight time claims unlike Autel who continues to propagate one of the biggest lies that I've ever seen in marketing....the EVO II 6K couldn't fly for 40min if it were dropped from a plane with a parachute. Before the EVO II even leaves the ground it shows only 33min remaining. With DJI's larger user base they would never be able to get away with such wildly inaccurate claims.
From what you have read,ya ok.There is nothing at all wrong with the fly app,of course it is
simplified and that only makes perfect sense.And yes I use it,and have for the last year.

From what you have read,ya ok.There is nothing at all wrong with the fly app,of course it is
simplified and that only makes perfect sense.And yes I use it,and have for the last year.

Just because overly simplified works for you does not mean that it makes sense for everyone. An overly simplified app could make sense as long as it is only used for drones that are squarely in the consumer/hobbyist class such as the Mavic Air, but when they start applying that same consumer/hobbyist grade app to prosumer grade drones such as the M3 with a M4/3 sensor then it really makes no sense to strip away industry standard tools and modes that photography/videography professionals have available to them in every other prosumer/professional class camera system.

If the DJI Fly app was so great it would be used to control the Inspire 2 or Matrice series. This could be a push by DJI to start to deliberately cripple their software to prevent the more professional tools from being available in their lower class drones; not a good future for anyone wanting to use the prosumer class drones for professional work.

A far better approach that would have appealed to both hobbyists and professionals would have been to simply make the app with a basic/guided mode and an advanced mode. The advanced mode could have unlocked the additional camera settings and options. Many other software vendors do this for everything from printing to editing to HW controls. A good example of this is how the Canon Rebel / Nikon Dxxxx series has a guided mode for beginners and an advanced mode for more advanced photographers.

Also, it is not like they do not already have the code written; all of these tools are available in the DJI GO App already.

Last edited:
Just because overly simplified works for you does not mean that it makes sense for everyone. An overly simplified app could make sense as long as it is only used for drones that are squarely in the consumer/hobbyist class such as the Mavic Air, but when they start applying that same consumer/hobbyist grade app to prosumer grade drones such as the M3 with a M4/3 sensor then it really makes no sense to strip away industry standard tools and modes that photography/videography professionals have available to them in every other prosumer/professional class camera system.

If the DJI Fly app was so great it would be used to control the Inspire 2 or Matrice series. This could be a push by DJI to start to deliberately cripple their software to prevent the more professional tools from being available in their lower class drones; not a good future for anyone wanting to use the prosumer class drones for professional work.

A far better approach that would have appealed to both hobbyists and professionals would have been to simply make the app with a basic/guided mode and an advanced mode. The advanced mode could have unlocked the additional camera settings and options. Many other software vendors do this for everything from printing to editing to HW controls. A good example of this is how the Canon Rebel / Nikon Dxxxx series has a guided mode for beginners and an advanced mode for more advanced photographers.

Also, it is not like they do not already have the code written; all of these tools are available in the DJI GO App already.
A question,do you or have you ever used the DJI fly app ?
For the last time,we have the fly app and that is the way it is
The app is going to mature more down the road ,eventually the Go4 app
will probably be replaced in the future.
So enough of the childish whining about it already,geez, lol.
Out of here

Reactions: dirkclod
Much use with the DJI Go3 and Go4... S1000, M600Pro, Inspire1 & 2, M210, M2P/Z... been playing with Fly App and M2AS.

Fly App simply lacks!
Auto mode, manual modes lack, and program modes that have been in DJI apps for some time, not counting waypoints missing or lacking.
The Fly app is weak & lacking... certainly not suitable for pretty much any commercial, professional, even serious Hobbyist.

Hopefully SDK will continue to be shared and 3rd Party Developers can provide needed functionality for multiple different arenas & focus.

How DJI Mgmt decided to refer to the M3 as Professional and assign it to the Fly App... poor marketing decision, an opinion shared by many.

Exactly, the Go4 works with M2P. It's a simple SW assignment within the FW what the platform can attach and utilize. The M2Enterprise vs M2 is an example... one uses Go4, other uses Pilot. By the way, Pilot app lacks too! Both New Apps: Fly & Pilot lack terribly.

@Calm Winds No, logically the M3 craft is not Stuck on Fly App. A simply FW update can easily reassign to Go4 App. That was done with a few Matrice models, moved from Go4 to Pilot after Pilot was established.

Much use with the DJI Go3 and Go4... S1000, M600Pro, Inspire1 & 2, M210, M2P/Z... been playing with Fly App and M2AS.

Fly App simply lacks!
Auto mode, manual modes lack, and program modes that have been in DJI apps for some time, not counting waypoints missing or lacking.
The Fly app is weak & lacking... certainly not suitable for pretty much any commercial, professional, even serious Hobbyist.

Hopefully SDK will continue to be shared and 3rd Party Developers can provide needed functionality for multiple different arenas & focus.

How DJI Mgmt decided to refer to the M3 as Professional and assign it to the Fly App... poor marketing decision, an opinion shared by many.
I am sure this stuff will be added down the road,it will not happen overnight.If this is the app dJI
intends to go with for the near future then I would think other missing functions will be added as the app matures more.
As far as a poor marketing decision,who knows.There are also happy customers of the M3 as well.
This is another reason why with a drone this costly,more homework should be done before ordering it.Give DJI time To
Work the bugs out of it,then order it in a half year from now when its 100% ready.
When the new nano and lite drones are in reviewers and customers hands ,if that ever happens,and along with a rumored evo3,
You can't tell me they are not going to have the same issues and problems as well.
Done.

A question,do you or have you ever used the DJI fly app ?
For the last time,we have the fly app and that is the way it is
The app is going to mature more down the road ,eventually the Go4 app
will probably be replaced in the future.
So enough of the childish whining about it already,geez, lol.
Out of here

Yes I do have the Fly App and I think it is terrible compared to the DJI Go App and no it is not useful for professional work. It's a forum, the entire purpose of a forum is to discuss like and differing viewpoints, what works for you doesn't mean it works for everyone; and no that's not just the way it is, if I want a fully functional app for all of the drones I own I can simply choose not to own DJI drones and stick with the Autel ecosystem.

Also, unless you are a DJI employee you have no idea if it will "mature" or if this is a new approach by DJI to protect their enterprise and professional grade of drones. I can tell you even if I were considering purchasing the M3 the fact that it is limited to the Fly App would prevent me from considering it as a drone for my business and personally I find this extremely useful information that anyone considering the M3 for professional work should be aware of; if it does not interest or apply to your use cases you can always just click "next".

Last edited:
Reactions: Tufargon
I am sure this stuff will be added down the road,it will not happen overnight.If this is the app dJI
intends to go with for the near future then I would think other missing functions will be added as the app matures more.
As far as a poor marketing decision,who knows.There are also happy customers of the M3 as well.
This is another reason why with a drone this costly,more homework should be done before ordering it.Give DJI time To
Work the bugs out of it,then order it in a half year from now when its 100% ready.
When the new nano and lite drones are in reviewers and customers hands ,if that ever happens,and along with a rumored evo3,
You can't tell me they are not going to have the same issues and problems as well.
Done.
Correct, the Autel app has been lacking in ways too and they're slow to develope... and a smaller company. One reason their popularity hasn't taken off... they need improvement too and much broader than just software, correct their management they'd advance. I agree with ya... very interested in seeing reality of Nano & Lite and advancement in EVO & Payloads.

The Fly app wasn't initially created for Professional use. If it develops and grows... when it hasn't for Air2 paltform, that would be something of value. Unless 3rd party announces quality full feature, and easily functional apps, the M3 isn't a consideration, and reading the Mavic threads, that's a pretty popular position.

Back in 2015 the Inspire 2 was extremely expensive package in comparison to the M3. Technology advances should lower prices in today's market... but it's still not priced in a Pro range category. I personally view it as a extreme Hobbyist, consumer kit... which has some components & features commonly found in Pro class kits. The major emphasis on vastly improved object avoidance to me is a consumer feature... not popular with many Pro arenas. The Inspire 2 has minimal OA without complaints.

I wonder if that's it's target market intended with the association to the Fly App. Maybe a small Inspire caliber is around the corner with a base $5000 price and $8k minimum, $14k nominal kit using a newly designed Go5 App. No rumors yet, that's what is concerning.

Correct, the Autel app has been lacking in ways too and they're slow to develope... and a smaller company. One reason their popularity hasn't taken off... they need improvement too and much broader than just software, correct their management they'd advance. I agree with ya... very interested in seeing reality of Nano & Lite and advancement in EVO & Payloads.

The Fly app wasn't initially created for Professional use. If it develops and grows... when it hasn't for Air2 paltform, that would be something of value. Unless 3rd party announces quality full feature, and easily functional apps, the M3 isn't a consideration, and reading the Mavic threads, that's a pretty popular position.

Back in 2015 the Inspire 2 was extremely expensive package in comparison to the M3. Technology advances should lower prices in today's market... but it's still not priced in a Pro range category. I personally view it as a extreme Hobbyist, consumer kit... which has some components & features commonly found in Pro class kits. The major emphasis on vastly improved object avoidance to me is a consumer feature... not popular with many Pro arenas. The Inspire 2 has minimal OA without complaints.

I wonder if that's it's target market intended with the association to the Fly App. Maybe a small Inspire caliber is around the corner with a base $5000 price and $8k minimum, $14k nominal kit using a newly designed Go5 App. No rumors yet, that's what is concerning.

I really do not understand DJI's thinking at all when it came to making all these new from the ground up apps and dumbing them down in every way. All they had to do if they wanted to appeal more to hobbyists was take the GO App and make a beginner mode. Maybe there was some core problem with the App that required a complete rewrite to resolve or maybe they really are planning on using the App features to further differentiate the Enterprise/Pro classes from the Prosumer/Consumer/Hobbyist classes. All I do know is that at the end of the day I am really glad Autel is such a good alternative.

My last DJI drone is the Mavic Mini and I use it for indoor drone video projects such as real estate marketing/promo videos. If the Mavic Mini becomes a viable alternative and prop guards are released for it I'll be able to get rid of my last DJI drone. In usual DJI fashion they managed to ruin a great drone; the Mavic Mini goes into restricted flight mode which severely limits the range and altitude when it detects the prop guards so as usual DJI's nannyware turns a useful tool into a barely useful toy.

Yes I do have the Fly App and I think it is terrible compared to the DJI Go App and no it is not useful for professional work. It's a forum, the entire purpose of a forum is to discuss like and differing viewpoints, what works for you doesn't mean it works for everyone; and no that's not just the way it is, if I want a fully functional app for all of the drones I own I can simply choose not to own DJI drones and stick with the Autel ecosystem.

Also, unless you are a DJI employee you have no idea if it will "mature" or if this is a new approach by DJI to protect their enterprise and professional grade of drones. I can tell you even if I were considering purchasing the M3 the fact that it is limited to the Fly App would prevent me from considering it as a drone for my business and personally I find this extremely useful information that anyone considering the M3 for professional work should be aware of; if it does not interest or apply to your use cases you can always just click "next".
I am just going to stick you with this before I leave .I kinda think I know what a purpose of a forum is for,so please
save the minor insult,and that's the way I am taking it.
Moving along, yes the fly app is going to mature in time,and I do not have to be a DJI employee to figure that out.
DJI did not become the best for no reason.If you do not have the M3 then why are you whining about it.I basically disagree with everything you have said which I might add is not too hard to do.
Outta here

I am just going to stick you with this before I leave .I kinda think I know what a purpose of a forum is for,so please
save the minor insult,and that's the way I am taking it.
Moving along, yes the fly app is going to mature in time,and I do not have to be a DJI employee to figure that out.
DJI did not become the best for no reason.If you do not have the M3 then why are you whining about it.I basically disagree with everything you have said which I might add is not too hard to do.
Outta here

No one in their right mind would buy a tool they need to use professionally today while "hoping" that the App used to control it "might" mature at some point in the future to the point to where they can "possibly" use it for what they intended. Clearly your definition of whining is discussing the pros and cons of a drone ecosystem to include its App limitations so anything that comes before or after that statement is impossible to take seriously.

I get that the basic functionality of the Fly App meets your needs but as I previously stated; that does not mean its limitations aren't there for people who need more than the basic app provides. The app is fine for hobbyists, insufficient for prosumers/professionals, your agreement/disagreement/opinion does not change that fact.

The whole point of discussions like these is so that people who are doing the research on their possible future purchase have the information they need to make an informed buying decision, a point that also seems to be lost on you as well. So saying I have to own a product to have an opinion on its limitations based on well documented specifications (not to mention I actually have and have used the app in question) is quite delusional to say the least.

Use whatever works for you, it is completely irrelevant to me, but for me and many others, it is just one more example that shows us Autel owners that we aren't missing anything by using the Autel drone ecosystem.

No reason to argue one against other, as this is a forum for free opinions...
Yesterday I had a sad experience with Autel Explorer:
I have started a Timelapse with horizon line at 0...was calibrated, was ok....after each 5 sec photo, camera start tilting more and more...at end I have a 45degree angle at picture....
I use last official firmware and Beta AE as official on Android 11 does not work...
This is all about...a good drone, a (Mod Removed Language) app...made by idiots, as even with 2 IT developers, Autel should test this soft comprehensive, because the software was every time their "Achile" weak point...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: herein2021
I have started a Timelapse with horizon line at 0...was calibrated, was ok....after each 5 sec photo, camera start tilting more and more...at end I have a 45degree angle at picture....
I use last official firmware and Beta AE as official on Android 11 does not work...
This is all about...a good drone, a (Mod Removed Language)app...made by idiots, as even with 2 IT developers, Autel should test this soft comprehensive, because the software was every time their "Achile" weak point...

:) no arguing here, sometimes it is fun to keep feeding the trolls facts and watch them respond with nonsense, but it can get tiring.

That is a really odd outcome for the timelapse, it sounds like the app is getting worse not better; it is a real shame that they don't put more effort into QC and app development. I am still running almost the original version of the FW because based on the reports on this forum it does not seem to be getting any better. One step forward and three back is not what I consider forward progress.

Reactions: Tufargon
This is all about...a good drone, a (Mod Removed Language) app...made by idiots, as even with 2 IT developers, Autel should test this soft comprehensive, because the software was every time their "Achile" weak point...
No one in their right mind would buy a tool they need to use professionally today while "hoping" that the App used to control it "might" mature at some point in the future to the point to where they can "possibly" use it for what they intended. Clearly your definition of whining is discussing the pros and cons of a drone ecosystem to include its App limitations so anything that comes before or after that statement is impossible to take seriously.

I get that the basic functionality of the Fly App meets your needs but as I previously stated; that does not mean its limitations aren't there for people who need more than the basic app provides. The app is fine for hobbyists, insufficient for prosumers/professionals, your agreement/disagreement/opinion does not change that fact.

The whole point of discussions like these is so that people who are doing the research on their possible future purchase have the information they need to make an informed buying decision, a point that also seems to be lost on you as well. So saying I have to own a product to have an opinion on its limitations based on well documented specifications (not to mention I actually have and have used the app in question) is quite delusional to say the least.

Use whatever works for you, it is completely irrelevant to me, but for me and many others, it is just one more example that shows us Autel owners that we aren't missing anything by using the Autel drone ecosystem.
I will call this fair enough,and a difference of a few opinions ,not like that is the first time it's happened
on here.No harm no foul.
Have a good one

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller