Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

MAVIC 3....a Huge dissapointment! AUTEL, this is your chance ! Do not Blow it !

The point is that I have tested M3 and E2P....
The camera from both is pretty close at performance, Sony IMX383 is still a competitor in this...
The only problem that I see at Autel is their software division...
As Autel Explorer is full of bugs eve now, at more than 1 year after release...They added things on it? Yes...and good things...But come on, not to have -1 at Contrast settings working in any Android release? Because is doing Nothing...
And is used, as I use for night the HDR profile on Normal, with -1 at Sharpness, -2 at Contrast (should use -1 but that is not working) and 0 at Saturation...and is (Mod Removed Language)good, at ISO 1600 is giving a very promising quality in very dark areas.
So AUTEL does nothing to do now but this:
1. Fix Autel Explorer as now is BETA
2. Start a campaign for Evo2Pro and what is doing with all Missions, Waypoint, and so on...

And they will get a lot of customers from DJI....The DJI forum where I am also (Yes, I also have DJI products, a lot) is full with Not so happy people that expected a lot more from Mavic 3...
So...it is up to Autel to make a move...a Smart one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: herein2021
The point is that I have tested M3 and E2P....
The camera from both is pretty close at performance, Sony IMX383 is still a competitor in this...
The only problem that I see at Autel is their software division...
As Autel Explorer is full of bugs eve now, at more than 1 year after release...They added things on it? Yes...and good things...But come on, not to have -1 at Contrast settings working in any Android release? Because is doing Nothing...
And is used, as I use for night the HDR profile on Normal, with -1 at Sharpness, -2 at Contrast (should use -1 but that is not working) and 0 at Saturation...and is (Mod Removed Language)good, at ISO 1600 is giving a very promising quality in very dark areas.
So AUTEL does nothing to do now but this:
1. Fix Autel Explorer as now is BETA
2. Start a campaign for Evo2Pro and what is doing with all Missions, Waypoint, and so on...

And they will get a lot of customers from DJI....The DJI forum where I am also (Yes, I also have DJI products, a lot) is full with Not so happy people that expected a lot more from Mavic 3...
So...it is up to Autel to make a move...a Smart one.

I honestly haven't even bothered updating mine since I got it, I have watched all of the problems people are having with the new versions of the firmware and I check the firmware notes for each release and so far they have not addressed any of the problems that I have found or added any of the features that I want so I see no point in upgrading.

By now I know how to work around all of the bugs and problems in my version so I would rather do that then have a new set of problems in the new firmware.

I definitely agree with you, the Autel app still has a long way to go, but it gets the drone in the air and back safely each time so I can live with that.

The point has been missed.
This is what DJI does.
It releases a half-baked cookie, then sits back for a few months and listens to what people complain about.
Then they go to work and release 80% + fixes for the complaints.
It's a good strategy for DJI, shitty for the consumer as they should release a fully baked cookie, then listen and add sprinkles.

Regardless of your ownership of DJI or Autel. You have a cookie. Stop complaining.

• Haha
Reactions: PingSpike and G_G
The point has been missed.
This is what DJI does.
It releases a half-baked cookie, then sits back for a few months and listens to what people complain about.
Then they go to work and release 80% + fixes for the complaints.
It's a good strategy for DJI, shitty for the consumer as they should release a fully baked cookie, then listen and add sprinkles.

Regardless of your ownership of DJI or Autel. You have a cookie. Stop complaining.
I did not followed you at last part...
What is the proper acting? Sit and be quiet? Obey to producers for giving you something that you buy with your worked money?
Please be more specific.
Thanks.

I'm saying, nothing to do but wait.
Wait till after January to buy a Mavic 3 to see what they fix.
Wait to see what the Nano and Lite look like from Autel and eventually the Evo III

Or

Buy and fly what's out there now. They are literally state of the art and best in class.
Even if that class has flaws.

That's what I'm saying.

Reactions: G_G
True...still, the ones that already have Autel Evo 2 still waits for fix in AE.
And those that have the Evo 2 Pro V1 and the Mavic 3 await for both to be "fixed" while working within their existing limitations (even with aftermarket solutions like the Alientech Pro). Both aircraft have their current strengths and weaknesses. It also helps to have mature aircraft like the Mavic 2 Pro, Mavic 2 Zoom, Air 2S, Mini 2, and P4P that are already complete, while waiting. If you are going to play in this arena, it helps to have multiple tools, because that's all the aircraft are. What you create with your tools is what it is really all about! There is no "one size fits all" perfect tool. The tool you have with you, that works today, and gets the job done, is always the best one. It's a series of compromises, like everything else in life!

And those that have the Evo 2 Pro V1 and the Mavic 3 await for both to be "fixed" while working within their existing limitations (even with aftermarket solutions like the Alientech Pro). Both aircraft have their current strengths and weaknesses. It also helps to have mature aircraft like the Mavic 2 Pro, Mavic 2 Zoom, Air 2S, Mini 2, and P4P that are already complete, while waiting. If you are going to play in this arena, it helps to have multiple tools, because that's all the aircraft are. What you create with your tools is what it is really all about! There is no "one size fits all" perfect tool. The tool you have with you, that works today, and gets the job done, is always the best one. It's a series of compromises, like everything else in life!
Well stated... that's how I've looked at them... Tools; The SW tools at the other end of project included. I've preferred one aerial brand due to it's strengths, although looking at other brands isn't out of the question if "tool" design & features meets the "needs".

Similarly, I used to be strong on Dewalt, now have a little more Brand mix for same rational.

exactly what i have done: i am waiting until after january to consider the mavic 3 cine purchase. most likely won't happen until march. has nothing to do with evo 3 but more to do with what will be fixed and updated with mavic 3. on the other hand, there is nothing that i am waiting for with regards to evo 2 pro and ae and sc. although it would be nice, if i never get another fix or update for these, i will be fine and will move forward to enjoy and implement it as is....for as long as i can. i understand others have open issues and gripes but for me personally, i'm there.

exactly what i have done: i am waiting until after january to consider the mavic 3 cine purchase. most likely won't happen until march. has nothing to do with evo 3 but more to do with what will be fixed and updated with mavic 3. on the other hand, there is nothing that i am waiting for with regards to evo 2 pro and ae and sc. although it would be nice, if i never get another fix or update for these, i will be fine and will move forward to enjoy and implement it as is....for as long as i can. i understand others have open issues and gripes but for me personally, i'm there.
Generally speaking, for a most pleasant droning experience, it has always been good advice to wait 6 months to a year after the release of any new DJI drone, by which time it is mature and bug free, letting the early adopters find all the issues, and giving DJI time to fix them, while also adding in all the promised features. The same can be said for Autel Robotics, and any new product. Stay 6 months behind the curve to avoid the bleeding edge! By then, the SDK is also available to 3rd party developers, and you'll have a wide choice of cases and mounts specifically designed for the drone, as it takes 6 months for everyone else to catch up.

Reactions: kenautelevo2pro
Generally speaking, for a most pleasant droning experience, it has always been good advice to wait 6 months to a year after the release of any new DJI drone, by which time it is mature and bug free, letting the early adopters find all the issues, and giving DJI time to fix them, while also adding in all the promised features. The same can be said for Autel Robotics, and any new product. Stay 6 months behind the curve to avoid the bleeding edge! By then, the SDK is also available to 3rd party developers, and you'll have a wide choice of cases and mounts specifically designed for the drone, as it takes 6 months for everyone else to catch up.
agreed. since i have mostly gotten over the early adopter phase of my life, i can do this. but today, i have these uneasy feeling around product availability due to sanctions and shortages, price increases due to tariffs, and the overall instability in the drone regulation world. under those conditions, you can't wait forever so timing is critical. there is no mavic 4 on the near horizon so technically i want to wait to see how the mavic 3 compares to the evo 3....right now, my date is spring 2022. seems the mavic 3 will really need that sdk more than ever.

After I have seen all tests and downloaded the M3 video (raw), is clear to me a few things:
1. The Sony IMX camera from Evo2PRO is at least same quality as this 4/3 sensor...
2. The FLY app will not support Missions !!!!! Also will not support waypoints for video ! A huge mistake from DJI !!!!
3. If AUTEL is moving now just to optimize the AUTEL EXPLORER APP and fix all bugs and also help with a little improvements like ones asked in here, DJI have lost it's battle with M3...as a lot of owners will suck it when will see same quality but less performance...

AUTEL, THIS IS YOUR WINDOW OF OPPORTUNITY AND WILL CLOSE IN 1-2 MONTHS...
TAKE IT !
Autel blew their chance with me with the abandonment of EVO 1 customers. I know you are tired of hearing it but I'm never tired of saying it.

Reactions: G_G and PingSpike
agreed. since i have mostly gotten over the early adopter phase of my life, i can do this. but today, i have these uneasy feeling around product availability due to sanctions and shortages, price increases due to tariffs, and the overall instability in the drone regulation world. under those conditions, you can't wait forever so timing is critical. there is no mavic 4 on the near horizon so technically i want to wait to see how the mavic 3 compares to the evo 3....right now, my date is spring 2022. seems the mavic 3 will really need that sdk more than ever.
The biggest differentiator currently is that all DJI drones come with mandatory GEO, while Autel Robotics still hasn't made their included GEO mandatory. However, the latter could change at any time, especially if there is any widely published incident involving an Autel Robotics drone in an NFZ, where Autel Robotics becomes the scapegoat.

The sweet spot for DJI drones is at about 6 months after release. By then, the FW is stable, the features have been implemented, SDK is usually available, and the user base is large enough that there will be no surprises. Spring 2022 is a good target date for a happy Mavic 3 experience, but probably still too early for knowing what the EVO 3 will truly deliver, as 12 months seems to be their sweet spot!

Reactions: honkihonk
The biggest differentiator currently is that all DJI drones come with mandatory GEO, while Autel Robotics still hasn't made their included GEO mandatory. However, the latter could change at any time, especially if there is any widely published incident involving an Autel Robotics drone in an NFZ, where Autel Robotics becomes the scapegoat.

The sweet spot for DJI drones is at about 6 months after release. By then, the FW is stable, the features have been implemented, SDK is usually available, and the user base is large enough that there will be no surprises. Spring 2022 is a good target date for a happy Mavic 3 experience, but probably still too early for knowing what the EVO 3 will truly deliver, as 12 months seems to be their sweet spot!
I was close to buy it...but is pointless as seems to be restrained by the Fly app and it's limits (No waypoints and missions, no controls over ISO in LOG, no controls in sharpness and contrast. I don't care about Mastershots as this never worked in my A2S, as here a lot of areas are yellow and MS are blocked (we need to ask every time for authorization from DJI at take off)...almost 40% of country is colored...so Mastershots is useless...
But course lock, waypoints, missions, controls for image...this is a minimal demand...

I was close to buy it...but is pointless as seems to be restrained by the Fly app and it's limits (No waypoints and missions, no controls over ISO in LOG, no controls in sharpness and contrast. I don't care about Mastershots as this never worked in my A2S, as here a lot of areas are yellow and MS are blocked (we need to ask every time for authorization from DJI at take off)...almost 40% of country is colored...so Mastershots is useless...
But course lock, waypoints, missions, controls for image...this is a minimal demand...
You can get a 1 year unlock from DJI for up to 5 authorization zones. I needed one just to fly from my own rooftop deck, even though the lower rear house deck is outside the authorization zone and unaffected! The boundary of the recently added blue authorization zone now literally goes right through my house! You can then add these approved unlocks to all the DJI aircraft serial numbers you own. Took one email and I had a response within an hour adding the new Mavic 3, and extending all unlocks by another year.

You can get a 1 year unlock from DJI for up to 5 authorization zones. I needed one just to fly from my own rooftop deck, even though the lower rear house deck is outside the authorization zone and unaffected! The boundary of the recently added blue authorization zone now literally goes right through my house! You can then add these approved unlocks to all the DJI aircraft serial numbers you own. Took one email and I had a response within an hour adding the new Mavic 3, and extending all unlocks by another year.
We have unlocks, still Mastershots is not working in areas that are manually unlocked or with unlock codes from DJI.
Just says 0 meters at Mastershots and does not work.

Another review of Mavic 3 versus Autel Evo2Pro

After I have seen all tests and downloaded the M3 video (raw), is clear to me a few things:
1. The Sony IMX camera from Evo2PRO is at least same quality as this 4/3 sensor...
2. The FLY app will not support Missions !!!!! Also will not support waypoints for video ! A huge mistake from DJI !!!!
3. If AUTEL is moving now just to optimize the AUTEL EXPLORER APP and fix all bugs and also help with a little improvements like ones asked in here, DJI have lost it's battle with M3...as a lot of owners will suck it when will see same quality but less performance...

AUTEL, THIS IS YOUR WINDOW OF OPPORTUNITY AND WILL CLOSE IN 1-2 MONTHS...
TAKE IT !
By the time Autel would announce a Mavic 3 competitor and when finally the autel product would get in customers hands
DJI would already have a mavic 4 out.
There is no competition for DJI,never will be.
Autel has to learn to have their products ready to ship out even before launch day.
Yes the mavic 3 has some missing features that will be taken care of in Jan.2022.
but at least they had the product ready to ship out on launch day.
Done

let's not forget the original dji sc is not compatible with the m3. if you want to use a smart controller, you have to pay for the dji sc pro which is $1,200. so far there are no indications that dji has plans to make it compatible so they are breaking their promise which said the sc will be compatible with future drones. the dji fanboys are totally up in arms and are complaining the only reason why they bought the sc in 2020 and 2021 was so they could use it for a future drone. sounds familiar?

but dji will get a pass because they haven't come up and said it absolutely will never work. instead they will have to be bombarded with emails, endless posts containing complaints on their forum, emails and phone calls and petitions....and then they MIGHT release it. autel pilots are not happy that the autel sc v2 does not work with nano/lite; same thing. i just hope autel pilots recognize autel is not the only manufacturer breaking promises.

the dji sc and sc pro are practically the same controller with some differences and a huge price difference. dji strategy is to try to get people onto the new controller because the older controller is sub-standard and less "modern" and dji would prefer to stop supporting older equipment having to keep the software updated and compatible, parts, etc. if they light up thousands of old sc nobody will buy the sc pro, there's nothing to be gained for $500 more. i don't blame dji for wanting all drones work with one sc. so they launch the sc pro and it works with exactly one drone, the m3. won't work with mini, m2, m2p, ma2, ma2s but i believe they will make it happen. and then by the summer, they MIGHT get around to original sc. until then, it is obsolete and so are the goggles. dji big huge company with their pulse on the drone community....and we point to autel mistakes?

let's not even start talking about active track and waypoints and obstacle avoidance and other missing features. can you really call it a "launch" when the product is 70% ready? i bet the nano/lite is 70%+ ready right now. i understand you can't wait until a product is perfect but depending on what type of company you are, 80% to 90% is a better target. ymmv

btw, autel will not be able to take advantage. 1 or 2 months is not enough time....to do anything that is effective. it will take years if not a decade for autel to pull along side dji so they should probably do their own thing and don't hurt themselves trying. dji can get away with alot of things that autel cannot. sorry for the long post, lots of dji activity going on right now.
A question,why does it always take Autel months to get the product in customers hands after the paper so called
launch.
The latest nano and lite launch is a perfect example.mentioned in late Sept.
And now may be here by Dec.No excuse for that.
Then we have DJI Mavic 3 launch ( Temp. missing firmware,big deal.)When the M3
was launched the drone was ready to order and ship to customers.
Why is that,I know could it be bad business decisions on Autels part.
I rest my case.
Done

A question,why does it always take Autel months to get the product in customers hands after the paper so called
launch.
The latest nano and lite launch is a perfect example.mentioned in late Sept.
And now may be here by Dec.No excuse for that.
Then we have DJI Mavic 3 launch ( Temp. missing firmware,big deal.)When the M3
was launched the drone was ready to order and ship to customers.
Why is that,I know could it be bad business decisions on Autels part.
I rest my case.
Done
the autel was announced too early. if you are going to launch in december, then you need to announce in november. but that's what i think....some might think the same; others might not. apparently autel thinks differently and wants to announce 90 days in advance. maybe they already have materials ready, all launch activities paid for and locked in....then comes the product delay. you can either cancel and lose everything you paid for or you can go ahead and "talk about it" because talk is cheap and then try to manage the delay. maybe your adverts have already been scheduled and they tell you if you want to re-schedule, we can fit you in around march? in which case you end up with nothing. in any case, the product team tell you the delay is one month....and you believe them, so you announce. one month turns into two....

don't believe the dji lies. dji drones were not ready to order and ship. having a dozen pallets prepositioned in a u.s. warehouse is not ready. maybe the website was open but may people ordered and it was nearly 2 weeks before they shipped or saw movement. some people still haven't shipped. the website says order today and expected shipment is 2-4 weeks. that's not ready. let's be honest. the mavic 3 was launched before it was ready. if we are being honest, the real launch is in january or whenever the drone is complete with the features promised and working with new software. look, some companies launch when everything is ready and when you have enough drones to ship on day one, when you have all the accessories available. and the channels are full so you can go to bestbuy if you have bby gift cards, you can buy from your favorite local retailers, or you can order online from china.

different companies, different business decisions. i suspect the dji drone is expensive and they needed to launch before the holidays. nobody will have $3 to $5k to spend on a drone in jan/feb when it's zero degrees outside. not going to be a lot of new owner videos in january. dji was already months late and they had no choices left. for all we know, they pulled the date back two or more times in 2021 before they finally pulled the trigger. they have their customers fooled into thinking it was a smooth and timely launch and always intended, that's b.s. anybody can see that. not all their fault, covid has something to do with it, but the m3 is half-baked and unfinished....for sure. if you like that.....not me; i refuse to buy one until next spring when they come out of the beta testing phase.

not sure what works for drone. for cars, it's ok to announce a ford electric f150 a year in advance. or a telsa cybertruck years in advance that might not ever come. consumer need to learn to separate the announcements and leaks, etc from the product cycles and availability. difficult to do with the internet, i get that. but 95% of the people who will ultimately buy the next autel drones have no idea about the announcement even though it is all over their website. they buy it when it shows up. forget about calling the announcement a success and focus on teh product launch and that way you can tell a disaster like the m3 from what we are hoping is a relatively clean autel launch....when the product is actually ready.

the autel was announced too early. if you are going to launch in december, then you need to announce in november. but that's what i think....some might think the same; others might not. apparently autel thinks differently and wants to announce 90 days in advance. maybe they already have materials ready, all launch activities paid for and locked in....then comes the product delay. you can either cancel and lose everything you paid for or you can go ahead and "talk about it" because talk is cheap and then try to manage the delay. maybe your adverts have already been scheduled and they tell you if you want to re-schedule, we can fit you in around march? in which case you end up with nothing. in any case, the product team tell you the delay is one month....and you believe them, so you announce. one month turns into two....

don't believe the dji lies. dji drones were not ready to order and ship. having a dozen pallets prepositioned in a u.s. warehouse is not ready. maybe the website was open but may people ordered and it was nearly 2 weeks before they shipped or saw movement. some people still haven't shipped. the website says order today and expected shipment is 2-4 weeks. that's not ready. let's be honest. the mavic 3 was launched before it was ready. if we are being honest, the real launch is in january or whenever the drone is complete with the features promised and working with new software. look, some companies launch when everything is ready and when you have enough drones to ship on day one, when you have all the accessories available. and the channels are full so you can go to bestbuy if you have bby gift cards, you can buy from your favorite local retailers, or you can order online from china.

different companies, different business decisions. i suspect the dji drone is expensive and they needed to launch before the holidays. nobody will have $3 to $5k to spend on a drone in jan/feb when it's zero degrees outside. not going to be a lot of new owner videos in january. dji was already months late and they had no choices left. for all we know, they pulled the date back two or more times in 2021 before they finally pulled the trigger. they have their customers fooled into thinking it was a smooth and timely launch and always intended, that's b.s. anybody can see that. not all their fault, covid has something to do with it, but the m3 is half-baked and unfinished....for sure. if you like that.....not me; i refuse to buy one until next spring when they come out of the beta testing phase.

not sure what works for drone. for cars, it's ok to announce a ford electric f150 a year in advance. or a telsa cybertruck years in advance that might not ever come. consumer need to learn to separate the announcements and leaks, etc from the product cycles and availability. difficult to do with the internet, i get that. but 95% of the people who will ultimately buy the next autel drones have no idea about the announcement even though it is all over their website. they buy it when it shows up. forget about calling the announcement a success and focus on teh product launch and that way you can tell a disaster like the m3 from what we are hoping is a relatively clean autel launch....when the product is actually ready.
I respectfully disagree on most of what you said sorry,the big name US dealers already had the M3 in stock even before
launch day.It was not nearly 2 weeks for shipping on first orders.
Back to Autel and I am sticking to my guns on this,there should not have been any nano or lite announcement of any kind
until the products were built and in dealers hands and ready to fulfill orders.
The Mavic 3 when fully updated with firmware early next year will be untouchable by any other company period.
Autel knows they can never even try to compete with DJI,because it is a lost battle before it began.
Now I am done.

Reactions: PingSpike

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo