Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Lightning storm

Spappy

Reaction score
I took the EVO up to see if I could capture a few good strikes before the rains hit - I was able get 4.
I showed each strike in real time and then replayed it in slo-mo right after the real time strike.
I was filming in 1080@120 fps.
Hope you all enjoy!

PS - having the gimbal extent upwards sure would have been handy! ;)

Nice captures, but jeez, gotta be safe out there in those conditions!
Oh believe me, I was quite a ways away from the storm!
I would never subject my EVO to a potentially fatal situation!
:D

That is a great video...and good idea filming at that speed. I would like to try this too sometime. Thanks!

• Love
Reactions: Spappy
That is a great video...and good idea filming at that speed. I would like to try this too sometime. Thanks!
Thank you! I've wanted to try it for a long time but never got the right opportunity so last night I just did it.
I'm glad I did!

Florida? My friend from Tampa called me on Saturday and said a thunderstorm was coming. Great video.
Thank you! No, not Florida unfortunately, I live in Central Oregon.
:D

Good approach. The best application I have found to monitor lightning activity is Lightning & Thunderstorms - World Map
There are several pre made maps you can use but you can also use their Lightning Vector Map and zoom in to just the area you want. It is in real time with hundreds of time stamped lightning detectors around the world. The servers do all the time stamp triangulation calculations and then rapidly display accurate locations on the map in near real time (maybe 1 to 8 second delay). This will show you how far away the activity is and when it is getting too close to fly.

Reactions: Spappy
Good approach. The best application I have found to monitor lightning activity is Lightning & Thunderstorms - World Map
There are several pre made maps you can use but you can also use their Lightning Vector Map and zoom in to just the area you want. It is in real time with hundreds of time stamped lightning detectors around the world. The servers do all the time stamp triangulation calculations and then rapidly display accurate locations on the map in near real time (maybe 1 to 8 second delay). This will show you how far away the activity is and when it is getting too close to fly.
Good info!
It wasn't the lightning I was worried about, but the torrential downpour that was rapidly approaching!

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmanvm