Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

July 4th 2019 local Fireworks with my EVO

Atomic08

Reaction score
...Not to take away from Franlac's Fireworks Video, but here is my first Fireworks video with my EVO.
Run Time 14 min.
I just got My EVO back from repair July 2nd, so not much time to prepare.
OA off, LED lights Off.
I used my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro for Viewing the Explorer App, and a sound recorder app to capture the explosions at the same time.
I shot/flew 24 minutes of Video on one battery, and those are the highlights.'
I shot three different setting, all standard 1080 p F30fps

First segment was all AUTO Exposure
Second Segment was ISO 800 and 1600
and the third was Manual ISO 1600 30fps
I shot a segment at 60 FPS, but it didn't turn out that great and the sound track didn't keep up with the video, so I did not post it.

In the past, I shot one Fireworks with my Phantom and three with my TYPHOON H, All in the same location as I did with the EVO.
I think my Typhoon videos came out better because of the narrower lens and better Auto setings
Check out the last Typhoon H Fireworks video it you want for comparison.
I think the Colors where more vibrant with the H, but again I didn't have much time to play with settings on the EVO.
Enjoy !

I shot three different setting, all standard 1080 p F30fps

First segment was all AUTO Exposure
Second Segment was ISO 800 and 1600
and the third was Manual ISO 1600 30fps
I shot a segment at 60 FPS, but it didn't turn out that great and the sound track didn't keep up with the video, so I did not post it.
I have a couple of mid-winter celebrations in my town that have fireworks I plan to film with the EVO this winter. One of the FW displays has their mortars set up in a gravel pit just 300 yards from my house so I have a ring side seat.

I might suggest that in your future FW shoots you set your camera to Cinematic mode which is the 24 fps speed. This may allow a little better color depth and saturation. You could also set the camera to Vivid color grading style which should intensify the color saturation. (Many DSLR cams and cell phones have a fireworks color style which is basically vivid.) And lastly set your shutter speed to manual at 1/25th second which is the longest exposure in video mode and will produce longer streaks of the explosions.

Did you notice someone was "shooting" your drone with that green laser light @10:55? They probably keyed on your LED lights on the drone for aiming. Lasers can damage the CMOS imaging sensor so if you encounter that in the future be sure to turn the camera lens away from the source.

Hopefully I'll have something to post around New Year's and beyond.

TROX...thanks for the tips, I copied and filed your settings for later fireworks displays, we only get one a year around here..
I had just got my EVO three days before this video and had really not had much time to research better settings. I have shot fireworks with my DSLR's for years and usually shoot RAW and do a lot of post to get what some nice shots. I usually print 16x20 on metallic paper for some nice displays.
Yes, I noticed that someone shot me with a laser and I posted just after I posted that video
Some one shot a Laser at my EVO

Looking forward to your fireworks videos !

Reactions: Trox
TROX...thanks for the tips, I copied and filed your settings for later fireworks displays, we only get one a year around here..
I had just got my EVO three days before this video and had really not had much time to research better settings. I have shot fireworks with my DSLR's for years and usually shoot RAW and do a lot of post to get what some nice shots. I usually print 16x20 on metallic paper for some nice displays.
Yes, I noticed that someone shot me with a laser and I posted just after I posted that video
Some one shot a Laser at my EVO

Looking forward to your fireworks videos !
We don't have any New Year's celebration fireworks officially but most residents stock up on their own mortars and aerials to do their own shows. Myself included. And since those are not commercial grade mortars their altitudes are limited to a couple hundred feet. So I'm hoping that at 400 feet straight over my own display I can get some unusual footage too. Not crazy enough to fly in them like some pilots have done.

A few years ago I was at a friend's for New Year's Eve combining our thousand dollars worth of explosives (yes I'm a fireworks addict) for a grand event on the frozen lake. There was a group across the lake that were "launching" a bunch of those hot air sky lanterns and I just happened to have one of my own 5 mile green lasers. As the balloons would start crossing the lake I'd start shooting them with the laser like a Star Wars battle against alien invaders. Everyone got a kick out of that! Looks pretty cool actually.

Cool !...when I got my first drone, a DJI P 2V3, a friend and I taped a pen laser on the skids with a propeller in
front of the lens and flew it around shooting whatever ! It was neat at the time with a range of 1500 Ft !
I'll have to look up in my files and see if I can find some video !
ha ! 60 YO kids !

Reactions: Trox
Cool !...when I got my first drone, a DJI P 2V3, a friend and I taped a pen laser on the skids with a propeller in
front of the lens and flew it around shooting whatever ! It was neat at the time with a range of 1500 Ft !
I'll have to look up in my files and see if I can find some video !
ha ! 60 YO kids !
Now that laser pen is a great idea with the prop. Depending on how fast or slow you fly you can regulate the speed of the shots. I have a couple of those red laser pens and although you can see them reflect off a road sign from 1000 feet you really can't see my beam in the air. The green ones, oh yeah the beam shows very good but they weigh about 3X more than the pens so it might be too heavy to loft a green one.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skygod34