Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Flying over Night Fog Charlotte, NC

If you don't want to watch the entire video, you can start at minute 21 for clarification about rain and fog.
Thanks I will definitely check that out!
I loved meteorology in college. The power of "The latent heat of condensation" :)

If you don't want to watch the entire video, you can start at minute 21 for clarification about rain and fog.

I loved meteorology in college. The power of "The latent heat of condensation" :)
Funny you should mention that, we are wrestling with the latent heat of fusion with respect to tomorrow morning's freezing rain event rolling into my coverage area. As you know when water freezes it gives off heat and conversely when ice melts it extracts heat thus locking us in right at the equilibrium point of 32 degrees. We are trying to decide if there is enough cold air intrusion to overcome the latent heat of fusion and setup significant freezing rain in our immediate area.

Reactions: ducatstrada
Funny you should mention that, we are wrestling with the latent heat of fusion with respect to tomorrow morning's freezing rain event rolling into my coverage area. As you know when water freezes it gives off heat and conversely when ice melts it extracts heat thus locking us in right at the equilibrium point of 32 degrees. We are trying to decide if there is enough cold air intrusion to overcome the latent heat of fusion and setup significant freezing rain in our immediate area.
Very cool!

Thanks very much, and count me in as one more on the learning curve!!! I'm glad the video didn't get me kicked off the forum!

Reactions: ducatstrada
Were your calculations correct on the freezing rain event? I see the North East is getting it.

Were your calculations correct on the freezing rain event? I see the North East is getting it.
Yes, we said Charlotte would miss it and we did as the ice remained confined to the foothills and mountains. Amounts were on the low end of our range, but 1/10, 1/8, 1/4 of an inch don't make much difference, any ice is hazardous to travel on. It's only when you exceed 1/4" that you move into the next area of concern which are power outages. By the way, I answered you on the Latent Heat of Fusion thread you started... making sure you saw that.

Haha! There you go the coefficient of static friction versus the coefficient a kinetic friction. So if you stand still and don't move you'll be fine!

I agree with your understanding of the recreational flying rules as they are very vague however the 107 rules prohibit flying closer then 500 ft below clouds and 2000ft horizontally from clouds. You know all about dew point and points differential to measure cloud base so a point spread less then 2.3 means no fly for a 107 remote pilot without a wavier.

I'm envious of you video cause i have always wanted to do that. Vary awesome video so please fly safe and be glad a police helicopter didn't come popping up out of the fog at 300 knots.

fly safe

Reactions: tvwxman

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy