Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Home point issue

macoman

Reaction score
I experienced the first issue with my Evo today. When I took off and went to the river, I got the message that inaccurate home point and was difficult to control the aircraft. But I was able to bring it back and restarted. Then it flew without issues. Why this happened? I took off with GPS signals on.

Last edited:
How many satellites did you have when you took off and the home point was set?
I was using the remote controller screen and I saw GPS with the bar full but it does not says how many satellites were on. How do you set the home point with the remote controller screen?

The drone is suppose to set home point as soon as it gets a good GPS signal. I'm sorry, I was thinking about DJI Go app, which tells you how many satellites are locked into your drone. Anyways, what I'm trying to say, if you lose satellite signal for whatever reason, the drone goes into ATTI mode and loses Home Point. I cannot say this was your case, since I wasn't there, but this is the most logical conclusion I arrived after reading your post.

The drone is suppose to set home point as soon as it gets a good GPS signal. I'm sorry, I was thinking about DJI Go app, which tells you how many satellites are locked into your drone. Anyways, what I'm trying to say, if you lose satellite signal for whatever reason, the drone goes into ATTI mode and loses Home Point. I cannot say this was your case, since I wasn't there, but this is the most logical conclusion I arrived after reading your post.
The strange thing is that when it happened, the drone was going up... not sure if was in ATTI mode but i was eventually able to bring it back to me. I powered off and on and then it was stable again and I was able to go down the river and filmed a beautiful ship tanker and a bridge.

Reactions: Ansia
Think of ATTI like if someone put a bag over your head and left you in a forest without any type of guide. You wouldn't know which way to go. Same happens to the drone. It needs your guide to get back. That is why I hardly use RTH and do most of the flying by my skills.

I purchased a Tello to practice ATTI mode without putting my 1K+ investment in danger. It's fun and it will teach you some skills you can use with your EVO or XSP.

Reactions: Opa43 and macoman
I read some where to let it hover for a few seconds before flying. I developed a habit to do this and have not had this problem. You might try that.
You know what, I think that was my error. I didn't let hover, I just took off and went to the Delaware river and that's when the problem started.

I read some where to let it hover for a few seconds before flying. I developed a habit to do this and have not had this problem. You might try that.

I do the same thing. I let it hover 3 feet over the pad for 10 secs or so before I go on a mission. So far mine has returned to home within inches every time. Well...Low light landings aren't as accurate, but I understand that.

Reactions: macoman
The screen is very generous with bars. You need to wait. Tap on the top bar and you can see the actual number of Sats.
I am wonder how many of you use only the remote controller screen. I even took off the phone holder from the remote controller. Looks really clean and great without the phone holder.

I like using the controller screen when I messing around or just checking an area out. I think it woks very well. But I need the 8 inch screen when i want to do some videos. I am even thinking about the Ipad Air. for a bigger brighter screen.

Reactions: macoman
I like using the controller screen when I messing around or just checking an area out. I think it woks very well. But I need the 8 inch screen when i want to do some videos. I am even thinking about the Ipad Air. for a bigger brighter screen.
The only way I would use a phone its if I need to do some of the automatic fly modes but so far I do not need it. I like to do everything manual and the built in screen works well for my needs.

Reactions: UnRanged and rkyleh
The only way I would use a phone its if I need to do some of the automatic fly modes but so far I do not need it. I like to do everything manual and the built in screen works well for my needs.
I just wish it was bigger. Autel had a prototype fold up controller a few years ago that that would have been slick. To bad they didn't get it to market. It looked better than the one DJI came out with.

I just wish it was bigger. Autel had a prototype fold up controller a few years ago that that would have been slick. To bad they didn't get it to market. It looked better than the one DJI came out with.
You never know if it's in a future product upgrade. DJI already came out with their version. I would assume that Autel is watching and planning something.

Any GPS drone needs to sit a while before taking off to download the almanac if you didn't use it for a while. Always wait until the app tells you it is ready, or else you will have the problem you did. Most pilots have no clue how to actually fly in ATTI mode at all, probably #1 reason for fly aways. Buy a cheap little drone and learn manual control...you will be glad you did.

Reactions: Ansia and macoman

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barry.bain