Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Help Hand Catching?

shwiz

Reaction score
Why did boat mode get removed? Does anyone have a reliable way of hand catching the Evo II Pro? I have hardware mounted underneath so the downward facing obstacle avoidance makes it impossible to land normally. I have to hand catch it, however even when I turn obstacle avoidance off and hold the landing button the props will fight me. The last flight I had to yank the battery to get the drone to power down and sliced my hand open pretty badly.

Anyone have any reliable means to hand catch the Evo II? Any kind of setting configuration or command to kill power remotely would be fine with me as well.

Best,
Ashwin

I can't comment on any past features as I've just received my Evo 2 Pro Enterprise.

For hand catching, it seems to respond exactly like all my other craft with OA. Just fly the drone down to what ever level you prefer, I have it just over head height. Then, step up to it, grasp it from underneath and at the same time, apply full down throttle (left stick if on Mode 2). The drone will slightly increase power for an instant as you grasp it, but if you are calm and still, it then shuts down the motors within seconds. Do not try to grab and pull down. That will cause the craft to fight you. Grasp, hold steady, power down.

I can't comment on any past features as I've just received my Evo 2 Pro Enterprise.

For hand catching, it seems to respond exactly like all my other craft with OA. Just fly the drone down to what ever level you prefer, I have it just over head height. Then, step up to it, grasp it from underneath and at the same time, apply full down throttle (left stick if on Mode 2). The drone will slightly increase power for an instant as you grasp it, but if you are calm and still, it then shuts down the motors within seconds. Do not try to grab and pull down. That will cause the craft to fight you. Grasp, hold steady, power down.

And let's not forget: "talk calmly and with a nice voice with your drone, in order not to start being aggressive with your hand"... :))))

Why did boat mode get removed? Does anyone have a reliable way of hand catching the Evo II Pro? I have hardware mounted underneath so the downward facing obstacle avoidance makes it impossible to land normally. I have to hand catch it, however even when I turn obstacle avoidance off and hold the landing button the props will fight me. The last flight I had to yank the battery to get the drone to power down and sliced my hand open pretty badly.

Anyone have any reliable means to hand catch the Evo II? Any kind of setting configuration or command to kill power remotely would be fine with me as well.

Best,
Ashwin
While I have not had a problem with getting the motors to shut down quickly by holding the down stick down (and I just hold my hand underneath the EVO without grasping with my claws), I do find it far easier to do when I have my controller mounted in my LifThor tablet mount and my lanyard attached, so I don't also have to grip the controller as tightly and hold the stick down...

Reactions: MNT DRONE SOLUTIONS
Easiest way is to hold your hand a good ways under the drone, once your drone senses your hand underneath it and levels out, just hold the down stick until begins to land. At that point, let go of the down stick and let it land in your hand on it’s own and the motors will automatically shut off quickly on their own. No need to keep holding the down throttle once it goes into the auto land sequence. It’s imperative that you keep you hand still and do not move during this process. Hope it helps.

View attachment 12003View attachment 12004
I had that experience as well. I think I pulled down before the motors stopped. Keep you hand completely still until the motors shut off and it works.
In hindsight I wish I had just let go, but it all happened so quickly.
Stitches on my nose, skin glue on the hand. Glasses saved my eye. Broke off a prop arm. Magnetic interference made it freak out! Wish I'd got Skydio II instead, before they raised the price.

This is quite similar to the discussion Emergency Shut Down on this forum. There seem to be multiple ways to avoid ending up with bleeding fingers when hand catching your drone.

Reactions: aebiv
View attachment 12003View attachment 12004
I had that experience as well. I think I pulled down before the motors stopped. Keep you hand completely still until the motors shut off and it works.
In hindsight I wish I had just let go, but it all happened so quickly.
Ouch! Been there done that a few times - I've also been thinking about the best way to do this. I'm thinking the EVO Nano + night be the bast option.

$20 for a set of prop guards is cheaper than an ER visit for stitches
The Propeller Guards do not protect anything or anyone toward the body of the aircraft. Especially the places wher you would normally reach for the battery or where you would typically grab the drone. Therefor I really liked the suggestion in the other thread to get some motor cycle gloves and practice hand catching scenarios with the people involved in your team. Should the time come for applying this knowledge everyone knows how the react and more important should know wat not to do for killing the motors and for avoiding ER visits and stitches.

Last edited:
Reactions: aebiv
For info: I never grab it....I just put my hand under it, start landing...And not moving the hand, not trying to grab it...just like it lands on earth...
Never had an issue about it....for extra safe, just curve the palm in order to give to the drone an extra fit in your hand, but DO NOT put your fingers up...or will be "eaten"...
When I needed to put a 360 camera under it, I have the same procedure, but keep the fingers on sides in order to slide between them the Qoocam 8K...and after slides, i just wait for drone to get in my palm...
PS. Switch to Precision flight if you have no experience on it...

Reactions: uas_gian and aebiv
According to a phone call to Autel, boat mode was removed because standard mode now does everything that it did (just lowered gimbal sensitivity)

Hand-catching the Evo 2 is something that is hard to recommend. While I've done it many times out of necessity, there's no way to sugarcoat it: this is a dangerous operation. Unless your location's terrain prevents safe landing or there is a strong likelihood of damage to the drone (such as a sandy beach), or an emergency is imminent, I'd strongly suggest not doing it and find a place where you can use a pad. A lanyard is virtually a requirement to perform a hand catch safely.

The props being at different levels with such a long span to the blades provides very little room for error, especially if it is windy and the drone cannot maintain a rock solid hover. You must catch it at the center of gravity and at the same time cut throttle, again use a lanyard for the RC. Make sure that your head is always lower than the position of the drone's props...

Be very careful.

Last edited:
According to a phone call to Autel, boat mode was removed because standard mode now does everything that it did (just lowered gimbal sensitivity)

Hand-catching the Evo 2 is something that is hard to recommend. While I've done it many times out of necessity, there's no way to sugarcoat it: this is a dangerous operation. Unless your location's terrain prevents safe landing or there is a strong likelihood of damage to the drone (such as a sandy beach), or an emergency is imminent, I'd strongly suggest not doing it and find a place where you can use a pad. A lanyard is virtually a requirement to perform a hand catch safely.

The props being at different levels with such a long span to the blades provides very little room for error, especially if it is windy and the drone cannot maintain a rock solid hover. You must catch it at the center of gravity and at the same time cut throttle, again use a lanyard for the RC. Make sure that your head is always lower than the position of the drone's props...

Be very careful.
completely agree. unfortunately hand catching is cool so there are some folks who will never land their drone on the ground. only a nasty mishap will get them to think about changing their mind. but im old school. for example, i will never ever approach a whirling helicopter without ducking regardless the height of the blades. it is something that was "drilled" into me.

completely agree. unfortunately hand catching is cool so there are some folks who will never land their drone on the ground. only a nasty mishap will get them to think about changing their mind. but im old school. for example, i will never ever approach a whirling helicopter without ducking regardless the height of the blades. it is something that was "drilled" into me.
I used to hand catch my old Mini 2 all the time but I agree I do feel safer landing on a flat surface - the EVO 2 pro is very accurate when you let it auto land so I dont see a reason to hand catch and risk bloody knuckles and fingers.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MountainDroneTN