Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Hello from Northern Calif.

gasquetmike

Reaction score
New member as of today. I'm just about to jump in and buy an Evo but i have a question. I have been flying a Parrot bebop2 for 194 crash free, fly away free flights. I love my bebop but I"m getting some beautiful flights with not the best video quality. I also have run into a few instances where i tried to reach something to video and couldn't quite reach it height wise. Now for the question. I fly with VR goggles almost 100% of the time. The quality of the bebop VR isnt the greatest, probably 720, but i have no lag issues which is important too! I havent seen any info out there on the quality of the video you see using the Autel explorer app, split screen. or the lag while using it? I see the app has smooth, hidef and normal modes. What one would be the best, with the best vision and least lag? I almost bought a Mavic 2 pro, the goggles are pretty dang good, but the No fly zones are becoming really stupid. That and customer service and constant updates has driven me away from DJI....hope someone out there has a answer for me and i hope its what i want to hear...thanks......Mike

Reactions: Autelguy
I find that normal mode has the least latency of them all. I also fly DJI and got my Autel because of the Geofencing. Never had problems with customer service. Can't speak about VR. I don't consider that viable for solo flying, which I do 99% of the time.

Welcome from Alaska. Never done any VR with the Evo but plenty with my BB2. I can tell you there is no such thing as a GeoFence with the Evo, nothing but freedom!
Yes, and that’s REALLY a key point. In Hilo, Hi, with a DJI, you must drive many miles out of town to fly. There aren’t that many roads. The flights paths for lightly used Hilo Airport’s one runway are very clear in any weather, but the FAA’s 5-mile zone covers the entire town past the ends of most of the roads. Planes would crash into hillsides if the flight paths weren’t over Hilo Bay and the southeast ocean. It’s incredibly easy to determine safe flight from unsafe flight. I flew an XSP many times on the coastline 300 yards off the side of the runway (never over 100’) because it’s impossible for any plane to fly in that area unless it’s out-of-control crashing into the sea. DJI’s Geofencing is totalitarian...

Last edited:
Yes, and that’s REALLY a key point. In Hilo, Hi, with a DJI, you must drive many miles out of town to fly. There aren’t that many roads. The flights paths for lightly used Hilo Airport’s one runway are very clear in any weather, but the FAA’s 5-mile zone covers the entire town past the ends of most of the roads. Planes would crash into hillsides if the flight paths weren’t over Hilo Bay and the southeast ocean. It’s incredibly easy to determine safe flight from unsafe flight. I flew an XSP many times on the coastline 300 yards off the side of the runway (never over 100’) because it’s impossible for any plane to fly in that area unless it’s out-of-control crashing into the sea. DJI’s Geofencing is totalitarian...
With Geofencing 2.0, they take into account the take off and landing routes. You can fly near an airport without permision as long as you are not involved in this path. What it does do is prevent you from going above certain height. The red areas are permision exclusive where you cannot fly unless you have a waiver from both DJI and the FAA and need previous approval from DJI to get unlock. The blue areas, you need FAA approval, but can unlock flight with your phone number or credit card information and like I stated before, you are restricted to a certain height (this is determined by area). On yellow areas, you get a warning that you are flying near an airport and that you are solely responsible for any mishaps. I don't remember what the orange was for, as I have yet to try a flight there.
Screenshot_20190130-231152.jpg

With Geofencing 2.0, they take into account the take off and landing routes. You can fly near an airport without permision as long as you are not involved in this path. What it does do is prevent you from going above certain height. The red areas are permision exclusive where you cannot fly unless you have a waiver from both DJI and the FAA and need previous approval from DJI to get unlock. The blue areas, you need FAA approval, but can unlock flight with your phone number or credit card information and like I stated before, you are restricted to a certain height (this is determined by area). On yellow areas, you get a warning that you are flying near an airport and that you are solely responsible for any mishaps. I don't remember what the orange was for, as I have yet to try a flight there.
View attachment 3385

Great post. I've always wanted a straight forward answer to the way their Geofencing works. Now I know. I also know I'd never buy DJI. The best marketing decision Autel ever made was to ditch GF and allowed us to fly responsibly. Thanks for the clear and concise explanation.

New member as of today. I'm just about to jump in and buy an Evo but i have a question. I have been flying a Parrot bebop2 for 194 crash free, fly away free flights. I love my bebop but I"m getting some beautiful flights with not the best video quality. I also have run into a few instances where i tried to reach something to video and couldn't quite reach it height wise. Now for the question. I fly with VR goggles almost 100% of the time. The quality of the bebop VR isnt the greatest, probably 720, but i have no lag issues which is important too! I havent seen any info out there on the quality of the video you see using the Autel explorer app, split screen. or the lag while using it? I see the app has smooth, hidef and normal modes. What one would be the best, with the best vision and least lag? I almost bought a Mavic 2 pro, the goggles are pretty dang good, but the No fly zones are becoming really stupid. That and customer service and constant updates has driven me away from DJI....hope someone out there has a answer for me and i hope its what i want to hear...thanks......Mike

Welcome Mike. There are a lot of awesome folks on this forum. I'm sure with your experience, you'll bring a lot to the table.

Reactions: gasquetmike
Hey Augustine, have you pulled the trigger on buying an Evo? Curious if you're holding off for a 1" like me

The EVO is nice because it is portable but the video quality has not improved so much over the X-Star that I want to run out and get it. I will wait for the next generation of EVO's what ever that might be. Over the last 6 years I have owned 5 different UAV's, I think its time to take a rest and see what the future holds. :) Maybe I should get one of these LOL
Introducing the Alta Pro line of Multirotor Drones - sUAS News - The Business of Drones

The EVO is nice because it is portable but the video quality has not improved so much over the X-Star that I want to run out and get it. I will wait for the next generation of EVO's what ever that might be. Over the last 6 years I have owned 5 different UAV's, I think its time to take a rest and see what the future holds. :) Maybe I should get one of these LOL
Introducing the Alta Pro line of Multirotor Drones - sUAS News - The Business of Drones
Holy _____. The next version will probably have a seat for a cinematographer, albeit a small one ;)

View attachment 3385
That’s certainly better than the earlier versions which won’t let you take-off period. I had guys come over and ask me how I’m able to fly — they thought I hacked it since an XSP looks like a DJI. Autel lets me make all those decisions myself...

I don't know what tha huge bird is, but I want one!
eFfmdb3.jpg

LOL
Ya I am sure you would need a lot of the green stuff to get into this rig and a tone more for the cameras. :)
Look at the different payloads being used and recognize that any true commercial rig requires the ability to change payloads to suit the task at hand. Lacking payload variety limits your ability. This is why a lot of us that were waiting for the X-Star to come out with different camera options are very disappointed on what Autel ended up producing and not fulfilling their promise of camera options. Yes they had to move forward to keep up but they have now seemed to have stalled again. Like I said I will wait for the next generation if Autel makes one. Till then I am happy with the X-Star and does all that I need.

LOL
Ya I am sure you would need a lot of the green stuff to get into this rig and a tone more for the cameras. :)
Look at the different payloads being used and recognize that any true commercial rig requires the ability to change payloads to suit the task at hand. Lacking payload variety limits your ability. This is why a lot of us that were waiting for the X-Star to come out with different camera options are very disappointed on what Autel ended up producing and not fulfilling their promise of camera options. Yes they had to move forward to keep up but they have now seemed to have stalled again. Like I said I will wait for the next generation if Autel makes one. Till then I am happy with the X-Star and does all that I need.
I am curious on what their business plan is. Recently they closed their autelrobotics.com webpage and now you are redirected to the store (auteldrones.com) were you can buy the Evo, accesories for both drones, a beanie hat and an lanyard. I haven't looked hard, but they removed all mention of the Kresler and the Sky Shark or however the other one is called. No mention about the new controller and/or other accesories shown in CES 19'.

I did not notice that, interesting. I see they have listed outside retailers in a big way. Maybe trying to lower their overhead and downsize some more or just going completely in a different direction. noidea (1).gif Who knows.
Hope someone in that company has their waypoints all set out for them to succeed. :)

Opera Snapshot_2019-01-31_110434_auteldrones.com.png

LOL
It’s a really nice rig... I have 8 DSLR’s, 6 can shoot 4K video, I’d love to see one that can handle them. A D5500 is super-light, would take fantastic 24MP photos. I’ve got 30+ Nikon lenses ..... although the 600mm f4 probably weighs too much for a drone :)

I was hoping the Walkera QR 800X would develop into one, but I think they went away...36061DFE-3FB4-4A06-9866-08AA8CEDFFE4.jpeg

Planes would crash into hillsides if the flight paths weren’t over Hilo Bay and the southeast ocean. It’s impossible for any plane to fly in that area unless it’s out-of-control crashing into the sea. DJI’s Geofencing is totalitarian...

I have a similar situation here in CarsonCity. I sometimes fly less than a mile from the airport, which is behind a mountain from my takeoff point. Here too, if I was in the flight path of a plane it would be because he was headed for a huge crash into the side of the mountain.

Welcome to the group gasquemike!

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonhenkelman