Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

GPS

steve2497

Reaction score
Does anyone use a gps tracker out of interes? Just got one from Amazon for £49 and is the smallest in the marketplace , worth it’s weight in gold, you just call the sim number, hang up and it texts you the exact current position. Had a fly away yesterday and it would have been a complete loss without it.

Does anyone use a gps tracker out of interes? Just got one from Amazon for £49 and is the smallest in the marketplace , worth it’s weight in gold, you just call the sim number, hang up and it texts you the exact current position. Had a fly away yesterday and it would have been a complete loss without it.
Which one did you get? And how did you attach it?

I don't use GPS locators, but I do use a high pitched sound alarm to tell me when I am getting close to the drone. It starts sounding after 2 minutes of immobility. TELL ME, In what condition did you find you drone after a fly away. where there obstacles or trees or a poor landing area, or did you get lucky?

Reactions: PingSpike
Which one did you get? And how did you attach it?
sorry for the delayed response, here is the link to the one I got:

I just attached it with a velcro pad, its up to you where it goes, either on a leg or on top of the drone itself.

All you need once you have bought this GPS thing in a PAYG sim which I also got from Amazon, note not all SIMS will work as they need to be compatible with 2G network. The one I had from Three did not work, below is the link:

It will work no matter how far away your drone flies, so lets say you loose all control and it eventually lands 10 miles away when it gets to the emergency battery level you can still find it. It's basically like phoning someone on their mobile.

All you have to do is call the number that is for your SIM, hang up when you hear it ring, and then within 30-60 seconds you get a text from it which contains a google maps link.

When I had my flyaway I even used the google maps link on my iphone as the sat nav destination!!

As I say worth its weight in gold. If anyone has come across anything that is even smaller than this I'd love to hear about it!

sorry for the delayed response, here is the link to the one I got:

I just attached it with a velcro pad, its up to you where it goes, either on a leg or on top of the drone itself.

All you need once you have bought this GPS thing in a PAYG sim which I also got from Amazon, note not all SIMS will work as they need to be compatible with 2G network. The one I had from Three did not work, below is the link:

It will work no matter how far away your drone flies, so lets say you loose all control and it eventually lands 10 miles away when it gets to the emergency battery level you can still find it. It's basically like phoning someone on their mobile.

All you have to do is call the number that is for your SIM, hang up when you hear it ring, and then within 30-60 seconds you get a text from it which contains a google maps link.

When I had my flyaway I even used the google maps link on my iphone as the sat nav destination!!

As I say worth its weight in gold. If anyone has come across anything that is even smaller than this I'd love to hear about it!
That sounds really good. I’m interested to learn more about Apples new thing and how they compare.

Another research project!

I'll admit I've never used one but I've also never had a flyaway since 2014. Did you happen to take off from a concrete surface when the flyaway occured?

I'll admit I've never used one but I've also never had a flyaway since 2014. Did you happen to take off from a concrete surface when the flyaway occured?
Yes I did take off from concrete in my drive but the flyaway was completely my fault, I underestimated the strong wind coming back which resulted in it landing short in someone's front garden, I just drove the car there picked it up and came home within 10 minutes. Without the GPS I would not have a clue where it went.

Yes I did take off from concrete in my drive but the flyaway was completely my fault, I underestimated the strong wind coming back which resulted in it landing short in someone's front garden, I just drove the car there picked it up and came home within 10 minutes. Without the GPS I would not have a clue where it went.

Yes, that will do it too. I live in FL, we have strong winds quite often so I am very careful when it is windy. One trick I use is to fly a very short distance downwind then see how well it can overcome the wind travelling upwind before actually trusting that I can get it back with the headwind. I also use Ludicrous mode as well in this scenario to give it more power.

I do recommend always taking off from the top of the case and from grass if at all possible to give yourself as much distance as possible from things that could be in the ground that could affect the compass. IMO rebar in cement is the main cause of actual compass related fly aways.

I must say, that's impressive that it managed to navigate a safe landing even in a headwind and with obstructions around.

I've bought a pack of four Apple Airtags.

Crowd-sourced location finding, it's genius.

Going to put one on the drone and one on my dogs collar too!

These have just become available, thanks for sharing! Looks much smaller than what I found, also water resistant, sends out a sound as well and there is precision find.

My only worry is it says it is blue tooth and relies on other people's devices to pick it up - but what if I am 10 miles out in the middle of the country side and no one else is there?

Reactions: UasDriver
Then Airtags are not for you.

What if you crash just 50m away from your takeoff point in to some woods and your other tracker solution doesn't have a mobile signal in the British countryside In order to report its location.

Unlimited what-ifs mate :)

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller