Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Go Home Height in the mountains

Boojiec

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I need to photo map a piece of private property in the mountains.
The problem I’m worried about is the go home height.
There is only one clearing to take off from at elevation 2000 feet (See “A” on attached flight path map). The rest is all HEAVILY treed with some trees at the top being 100 feet tall.
This means that my highest waypoint “E” will be 3200 feet ( allowing for 100 feet above the trees).
The firmware limits the go home height to 650 feet above home. This would put me in the trees if I lost signal at some waypoints. Is there a way around this? Or some way to increase the the go home height? TIA
(By the way, Flying time wise I’m a relative noob)

IMG_2674.jpg

If you are above the go home height it will not descend to go home. It will stay at the height it's at and come home.

If you are above the go home height it will not descend to go home. It will stay at the height it's at and come home.

Thanks but are you positive about this? Is it documented anywhere?

I ask because when I posed this to Autel support they said if the go home was invoked ( via low battery or or signal loss) it would drop to the go home height ( max 650’). That would put me at 2650’ - still in the trees.

That's the way it works with the XSP and I can't see it being different with the EVO. Easy way to test. Go over your set height and make it return to home to see if it drops. I do it all the time here in the mountains. It should be the same via low battery, signal loss or RTH feature.

Reactions: Boojiec
As others have posted, It will not descend to the GH Alt. I'm using an Android device and it states in the Explorer App:

"The aircraft will fly home using the GO-Home or current altitude, whichever is greater. If Forward/Backward Vision System is enabled, the aircraft will ascend to avoid obstacles when detected."

You can test this feature by simple programming a RTH Alt of 100ft, fly out to say, 200ft and climb to 200ft and enable RTH. Observe what the EVO does.

Reactions: jimzartman
As others have posted, It will not descend to the GH Alt. I'm using an Android device and it states in the Explorer App:

"The aircraft will fly home using the GO-Home or current altitude, whichever is greater. If Forward/Backward Vision System is enabled, the aircraft will ascend to avoid obstacles when detected."

You can test this feature by simple programming a RTH Alt of 100ft, fly out to say, 200ft and climb to 200ft and enable RTH. Observe what the EVO does.

Thank you Elroy. I believe you guys. I’m wondering why Autel support couldn’t tell me this. I think their rep would not SLOW DOWN and listen to my question. A lot of that going around these days.

I don't know much about the XSP. Which of the features mentioned in the video below actually exist?

We never got the exchangeable cameras like the one inch sensor, flir thermal infrared (it is detachable though), retracting landing gear, obstacle avoidance (somewhat, the bottom sensors work with a firmware update) and they never released the SDK like they promised they would. Overall it's a great bird but a lot of people bought it with expectations of all those promises. That's why most of the XSP owners are very hesitant to believe the promises Autel is making now with the EVO. Hope they come through though.

Reactions: Ansia
We've been called butt hurt and jealous etc... But we either learn from the past or we don't. We either listen to the ones with experience or we don't. We only leave our input so maybe others will realize the past. Like I said though, I seriously hope they come through this time.

Reactions: Ansia
So I shouldn't expect the 1" sensor evo, the 360° evo or rear obstacle avoidance.
I'm not saying it won't happen. We never got ours. I'm just saying it never did with the XSP and hopefully promises will be kept this time.
Probably most XSP owners would tell you to not hold your breath.

Confirmed... The Evo does exactly as stated.

Confirmed... The Evo does exactly as stated.
I just found out that it won't ascend while doing waypoints. I purposefully planned an 8 story abandon building in the path and the EVO just stopped, hovered (about 2ft away). I let it sit there for about 1min before canceling and repeating the mission with the same results.

I just found out that it won't ascend while doing waypoints. I purposefully planned an 8 story abandon building in the path and the EVO just stopped, hovered (about 2ft away). I let it sit there for about 1min before canceling and repeating the mission with the same results.
Yeah, the comment "Confirmed... The Evo does exactly as stated " was about return to home height. Waypoints is a different subject. Which I'm about to start flying some waypoints and try and earn me a few bucks... Maybe. Lol

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials