Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

For those with experience using both the 640T and Mavic 2 Enterprise Advanced

SARty

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've got another question about some of the differences I'm noticing in the few Youtube videos out there comparing the 640T and M2EA. This time, I'm hoping to get feedback about the differences in thermal image quality.

I noticed a couple of you have posted comments about having experience with both platforms and I'm hoping you'd be willing to share some of your thoughts here. Especially re using them for Public Safety.

Airworx posted a couple of videos (linked below) that show a substantial difference in image quality between the 640T and M2EA (as well as the Boson Dual). Specifically the 640T's tonal contrast, apparent resolution (I'm aware it's technically the same on paper), and edge definition appears markedly better. The 640T almost has an MSX look to it (which I expect will change depending on the scene, time of day, and lighting conditions).

I'm aware that some folks are reporting that the 640T and M2EA use the same sensor - but regardless of what can potentially be accomplished later through post processing, I'm interested in finding out which platform performs best right out of the box (for SAR missions).

I'm also curious which image holds up better when zooming in 2-4x.

Brief comparison with the M2EA:
Brief comparison with the original Evo II Dual (Boson):

Appreciate any and all thoughts/feedback!

advexure

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
Website
advexure.com
In summary, I would say that we often hear folks say at demo events and other T&E opportunities that they think the 640T output is "better" than the M2EA. FOV certainly has an impact on that as the wider FOV of the M2EA often inherently makes it not look as crisp as the 640T with its narrower FOV. On the other hand I would say that the M2EA holds up a little better zooming with less loss than the 640T.

Reactions: SARty

advexure

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
Website
advexure.com
I will also add that we have about 25X more EVO II Dual 640 in the field currently than 640T given that the 640T was rather recently brought to the US/NA market and our public safety sector has been slow to buy into the 640T given that its been a little bit harder for some agencies to purchase given that it is not part of the "Made in the USA with foreign and domestic parts" campaign.

The "seat of the pants" feel is that the M2EA is not fully tuned and refined yet firmware wise and more can still be done to hone in on its thermal output. We feel the 640/640T is well tuned.

Reactions: SARty

SARty

Reaction score
Your feedback is again well appreciated!

I know there's not a lot to go on in the video linked above (where altitudes appear to have been fairly well adjusted to approximate the same FOV between the 640T and M2EA), but the 640T still appears to have an image quality advantage. Tough to make a call though without seeing it in person or having access to the files. For example, it's easy to over-process an image and make it look good when viewed from afar or at lower resolution...

But you bring up another serious consideration: the M2EA's significantly wider FOV would present issues for us, as we typically fly above 200AGL. 13mm is also too wide at that height, but requires less zooming.

If the crispness of the 640T's image is accomplished in processing (versus a higher quality sensor, lens, etc.), I can easily see how zooming in could potentially make things like over sharpened edges and accompanying noise more apparent. I don't remember what Autel calls the setting, but when that detail enhancement is dialed down, does the image hold up better when zoomed in?

SARty

Reaction score
The "seat of the pants" feel is that the M2EA is not fully tuned and refined yet firmware wise and more can still be done to hone in on its thermal output. We feel the 640/640T is well tuned.

This is very helpful too, thanks. Seems like maybe a similar situation to the M2ED and Anafi, where Parrot was able to squeeze out a much better image (from the same sensor) through processing...

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Don Testme