Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Fitting Smart Controller to Rugged Case

MattMPA

Reaction score
I have the two layer rugged case, with the 2 full layers. Meaning, not the one for the Lifthor.

If the handle of the S/C is removed, it will fit in the lower level. I figure I can notch the bottom of the top layer for the joysticks to clear.

I also cannot tell how thick the very bottom layer of foam may be, but I don't think it's deep enough for the handle.

Glad for your thoughts.

I have the two layer rugged case, with the 2 full layers. Meaning, not the one for the Lifthor.

If the handle of the S/C is removed, it will fit in the lower level. I figure I can notch the bottom of the top layer for the joysticks to clear.

I also cannot tell how thick the very bottom layer of foam may be, but I don't think it's deep enough for the handle.

Glad for your thoughts.
could you share some pictures of how it fits in your case?

Of course! With the handle removed, I believe a couple of notches on the bottom of the upper layer will allow this to work.

But...if I want to use the handle or the lanyard, it would to be put back on. (I don't know that I will....) Looking into a pair of thumbscrews to attach quickly if needed/wanted..

Was able to determine that the very bottom layer of foam is 1/4". Not enough for the handle to fit..

Attachments

• IMG_9129.JPG
    IMG_9129.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 66
Of course! With the handle removed, I believe a couple of notches on the bottom of the upper layer will allow this to work.

But...if I want to use the handle or the lanyard, it would to be put back on. (I don't know that I will....)

Was able to determine that the very bottom layer of foam is 1/4". Not enough for the handle to fit..
so, it fits perfectly without the handle. But if you want to use the lanyard, you have to figure out how to attach it to the SC.?

so, it fits perfectly without the handle. But if you want to use the lanyard, you have to figure out how to attach it to the SC.?
With the joysticks off, yes. I plan to make a couple small spots in the bottom of the top layer for the joysticks.

Reactions: edgardcafe
I understand .. but how about if you want to use the lanyard, is there a place to attach the lanyard clip?
Nope...the lanyard attaches to the hook at the bottom and onto the handle. I'm looking for a set of thumbscrews that would allow the handle to be put back on quickly..just in case.

Well, here’s what I did. It’s not my most elegant piece of work but it works. Where you see the small hole go completely through, is under the standard controller. (Bottom left. The hole to the right is factory placed for the a/c.) The controller rests on it’s folded in arms, so it won’t contact the joystick. I decided to go all the way through just so I can ensure the joystick wasn’t touching the bottom of the foam.
The other hole goes under one of the batteries. I removed that entire first layer.

I suppose I’ll put a microfiber towel or something over the controller while it’s in there, but perhaps an idea would be to glue a thin piece of foam On the bottom of the top layer to protect the controllers screen.

I ordered a couple thumb screws today and will update the group once they’re in. They should allow rapid installation of the handle should I want to use it.

Attachments

• 8415E65E-BC81-48B9-AC12-CDE9CF3646A4.jpeg
    8415E65E-BC81-48B9-AC12-CDE9CF3646A4.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:
One more update. From the top, the only evidence of a change is if the standard control is removed you can see the joystick underneath.

Attachments

• BB91DB4D-C3F4-43D5-9E22-3A700BD1A220.jpeg
    BB91DB4D-C3F4-43D5-9E22-3A700BD1A220.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 44
Yesterday, I was looking for a Rugged Case and have found a good deal at Empire drones store for $179 (25%Off of $239.95). Just in case someone is looking for it.

Is placing the controller in the case face-down an option?

In my own case, I have a generic hard case from Harbor Freight that I'll try to fit out for everything EVO II related once I receive and decide to keep the SC,
If you remove the joysticks, yes. I didn't want to do that. The bottom foam is only .25" thick, no real help to trim there.

I'm thinking of gluing a couple strips of foam to the lid that could gently hold the controller just below the Home & Pause buttons, avoiding any screen contact.

I have a few of the HF cases for other gear. I looked into using one of the 4800 models for the Evo. I use those for both a camera stabilizer and Sony camera. It's just not big enough for the drone and S/C. If the case were a bit deeper, one could place the S/C vertically, which would help.

I did reach out to both Advexure and GPC. Both said that there could be either a new case, or replacement foam to fit the S/c at some point in the future.

If you remove the joysticks, yes. I didn't want to do that. The bottom foam is only .25" thick, no real help to trim there.

I'm thinking of gluing a couple strips of foam to the lid that could gently hold the controller just below the Home & Pause buttons, avoiding any screen contact.

I have a few of the HF cases for other gear. I looked into using one of the 4800 model for the Evo. It's just not big enough. If the case were a bit deeper, one could place the S/C vertically...
I think that's the model I have. My mind's eye has me digging out two recesses concentrically and putting the stock controller in one, and the SC on top of it lying flat. But if it doesn't fit, no big deal. I have other stuff I need to schlep around I can use the case for.

I'm also looking for a decent backpack. Most of the drone-specific ones are well-designed in terms of fitting the drone and paraphernalia, but poorly-designed in terms of being backpacks for the kind of trails I have to hike. So I'm looking for something that's a good backpack first, even if it's less-than-perfect in terms of fitment. Probably a large DSLR backpack would be a better bet.

I think that's the model I have. My mind's eye has me digging out two recesses concentrically and putting the stock controller in one, and the SC on top of it lying flat. But if it doesn't fit, no big deal. I have other stuff I need to schlep around I can use the case for.

I'm also looking for a decent backpack. Most of the drone-specific ones are well-designed in terms of fitting the drone and paraphernalia, but poorly-designed in terms of being backpacks for the kind of trails I have to hike. So I'm looking for something that's a good backpack first, even if it's less-than-perfect in terms of fitment. Probably a large DSLR backpack would be a better bet.
The 4800 is the one with 4 latches. I have 2 of these, one for the stabilizer and 1 for my Sony. I manage to get batteries, monitor, etc for each piece of gear into these cases. This is the one I tried for the Evo2. Since the S/C is too tall to stand vertically in the case...it must lay flat. This and the folder Evo2 use the entire footprint.

A bit off topic, but here's the HF case for my a6400.

Attachments

• IMG_9134.JPG
    IMG_9134.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
Reactions: GeekOnTheWing
The 4800 is the one with 4 latches. I have 2 of these, one for the stabilizer and 1 for my Sony. I manage to get batteries, monitor, etc for each piece of gear into these cases. This is the one I tried for the Evo2. Since the S/C is too tall to stand vertically in the case...it must lay flat. This and the folder Evo2 use the entire footprint.

A bit off topic, but here's the HF case for my a6400.
Yeah, that's the one I have, except in orange. (That's not to match the drone. I just like orange.)

Unless the SC is absurdly huge, I think I can fit the drone and controller, with the batteries lying flat under the controller, plus carve out a space for the filters. I don't think I can fit the four-way charger, nor the stock controller if I put the batteries under the SC. But I need to have everything in my hands to know for sure.

If I can fit the batteries, SC, and the drone, I'll be happy with that. That's all I would need for most missions. Otherwise I have other uses I can make of it.

Yep..S/C is big. Here's the 4800 that I used for my stabilizer, with the folded Evo2 & S/C...

I built this case as the factory case requires the stabilizer to be folded flat...I wanted it to remain balanced..

Attachments

• IMG_9136.JPG
    IMG_9136.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 33
Yep..S/C is big. Here's the 4800 that I used for my stabilizer, with the folded Evo2 & S/C...
Thanks. That makes things easier to visualize.

That's actually smaller than I thought from the way people have been talking. Using the way you have it arranged as a guide, if I can get the batteries under the controller (I have six, so five with one in the bird), I may be able to get the charger between the bird and the controller, plus carve out a well for the charging cables.

We'll see. If I get it figgered out I'll start a new thread with pictures.

I'll be glad to see your progress...and one tip. Once you get the upper layer of foam the way you want....place it upside down on a sheet of thin, craft foam. You can buy it in rolls. Trim out the holes...and hot glue into position. Looks good and keeps the pick n peel from, well, peeling...

I'll be glad to see your progress...and one tip. Once you get the upper layer of foam the way you want....place it upside down on a sheet of thin, craft foam. You can buy it in rolls. Trim out the holes...and hot glue into position. Looks good and keeps the pick n peel from, well, peeling...
Will do. I have to wait until I get the SC, of course. It's supposed to be shipped Thursday and is in-state, so there's an off chance for Saturday; but early next week is more realistic.

Reactions: advexure

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo