Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Fitting Smart Controller to Rugged Case

It's just not smooth. Yeah, I guess skipped frames would be a good way to describe it. It doesn't seem to be an RF issue. But as I said in another post, I've encountered this in Android devices before after flashing the ROM, so I wouldn't be surprised if it clears itself up.

I've only seen it when flying, mainly when panning. I wasn't aware that the SC could do playback (playback of what?).
Yep...select clips on your A/C,..and play 'em back on the screen.

Reactions: GeekOnTheWing
Looking good! Makes me want to review doing the same. I've already done a few cases for equipment and enjoy the project.

I've never done the plastic-dip thing, always the foam. I was concerned about how well it could be masked, etc. I'll be watching your progress.
Thanks!

Mask, schmask. I'll just take the foam out of the case and lay it on a piece of cardboard on the grass.

Although the Plasti-Dip might mar the aircraft... I'll have to think about that. Or maybe spray some of the scrap foam and let it dry to see what it's like once it's dry.

It's just not smooth. Yeah, I guess skipped frames would be a good way to describe it. It doesn't seem to be an RF issue. But as I said in another post, I've encountered this in Android devices before after flashing the ROM, so I wouldn't be surprised if it clears itself up.

I've only seen it when flying, mainly when panning. I wasn't aware that the SC could do playback (playback of what?).
Hopefully it clears up for you or gets addressed in FW.

This might not be it at all, but when you mentioned that you mainly see it when panning, it made me wonder about your shutter speed. If you have ND filters or are able to fly early or late in the day, you might want to test some slower shutter speeds (1/120th or slower) to rule it out as the cause. This is probably a long shot, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

Hopefully it clears up for you or gets addressed in FW.

This might not be it at all, but when you mentioned that you mainly see it when panning, it made me wonder about your shutter speed. If you have ND filters or are able to fly early or late in the day, you might want to test some slower shutter speeds (1/120th or slower) to rule it out as the cause. This is probably a long shot (ha!), but it wouldn't hurt to try.
Thanks. I'll give it a shot.

I couldn't find either Plasti-Dip nor a suitable foam pad at any of the hardware stores within 50 miles or so, so I used this stuff

6.jpg

which by all accounts is the same thing.

The foam soaks it up like, well, a sponge, which I guess should surprise no one. This is what it looks like wet after a few coats:

7.jpg

I'm not hugely concerned about the looks. I just want it not to fall apart. I'll give it a couple of days to dry to find out how well it works.

I couldn't find either Plasti-Dip nor a suitable foam pad at any of the hardware stores within 50 miles or so, so I used this stuff

View attachment 11086

which by all accounts is the same thing.

The foam soaks it up like, well, a sponge, which I guess should surprise no one. This is what it looks like wet after a few coats:

View attachment 11087

I'm not hugely concerned about the looks. I just want it not to fall apart. I'll give it a couple of days to dry to find out how well it works.
Glad ya got it done. Did you remove the S/C handle for this case?

Reactions: edgardcafe
Glad ya got it done. Did you remove the S/C handle for this case?
Negative. I just carved out a space for it. It actually fits into the storage well underneath and is supported on the sides.

I may have to do more digging if I decide to use the protective cover for the SC. I'm undecided at this point. But it's easy enough to do.

Reactions: PingSpike
I didn’t measure correctly and made 2 big holes to fit the SC sticks! almost damage my new rugged case ?

Attachments

• 1DEA1EB8-154E-41BC-9745-413A45D22677.jpeg
    1DEA1EB8-154E-41BC-9745-413A45D22677.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • FD1FD0A2-9751-4D12-857C-AE50DA893CED.jpeg
    FD1FD0A2-9751-4D12-857C-AE50DA893CED.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
I didn’t measure correctly and made 2 big holes to fit the SC sticks! almost damage my new rugged case ?
It's easy to get the measurements wrong. The inserts are slightly tapered from top to bottom. If you need measurements....I can take them..just say the word.

Reactions: edgardcafe
One more update. From the top, the only evidence of a change is if the standard control is removed you can see the joystick underneath.
Recently picked up the same case as yours, did some minor foam cutting then patched up with cut pieces to add a slot for my Mavic 2Pro. Not perfect, but overall okay for me.

And Thanks Empire Drone received the case and it’s perfect, definitely a heavy duty rugged case.

Case holds both Evo 2Pro, Mavic 2Pro, Autel SmartController, Stock Evo2 controller, Mavic 2 controller, two sets of 3 batteries, extra sets of propellers for both Models and other stuff. I was looking for a case for both model’s, this wasn’t designed for both but easily became what I was looking for.

Not perfect, good enough through.
Paul

656F7723-8CA6-4657-9A89-84D14EE6EBD2.jpeg59BD744A-4351-4CA5-BE34-6D58FB6BC919.jpegA43C1A72-1A2C-4B67-8111-F9CEBBE0AA66.jpeg

I'm going to call this done.

View attachment 11099

View attachment 11100

I could touch up a few of the seams a bit, but I don't want to make this into a retirement project.

By the way, the rubberized paint doesn't rub off once it's dry. It just becomes ... rubbery.
Definitely done, probably the best Harborfreight controller case I’ve ever seen. The Matte Black finish upped the enhancement, looks factory made right off the assembly line.

Orange color scheme matches Autel brand, Great job professionally done.

Paul

Reactions: Anzacjack
Definitely done, probably the best Harborfreight controller case I’ve ever seen. The Matte Black finish upped the enhancement, looks factory made right off the assembly line.

Orange color scheme matches Autel brand, Great job professionally done.

Paul
Thank you. I'm pretty happy with it.

The orange was more because I like orange than because I cared about matching; but the color match is uncanny nonetheless.

Reactions: Waldo Pepper

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigmaxsg