Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Executive Summary Notice of Proposed Rulemaking on Remote Identification of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (Part 89) December 20, 2019

Too much regulations. I agree with some regulations, but they can go too far with them. Unless DJI, Autel, and other drone companies start bribing and lobbying the politicians...then it will keep getting stricter. Hate to say bribe, but that what it seems like lots of companies do with politicians in other areas....you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours.

Big business is coming after “our” air space and the authorities need to find a way ro accommodate that. Will probably end up something similar to general aviation.

Let's put it this way. Let's be greatful the FAA isn't considering mandatory ADS-B for all drones, like DJI proposed earlier this year.

Here is how much it costs to get a third party ADS-B installed into our drones.

The new remote ID is as follows.

1. You are required to broadcast via wifi spectrum (which the XSP and Evo can do) the information required. This way bystanders can point to the drone and get the information (my guess LEO and not anyone). You are asked to also broadcast your info by internet, but it is not required, since not everyone has internet all the time. If you comply with this, you can follow the current regulations.

Well this is going to be interesting. The place I usually fly does not have internet, or WiFi and if I am standing in the right spot there might be one bar of cell service depending on the direction of the wind.

As I read it I am legal to fly as long as I am broadcasting the ID. It does not matter if there is anyone around to read it.

Well this is going to be interesting. The place I usually fly does not have internet, or WiFi and if I am standing in the right spot there might be one bar of cell service depending on the direction of the wind.

As I read it I am legal to fly as long as I am broadcasting the ID. It does not matter if there is anyone around to read it.
Correct. As long as your drone is broadcasting within the wifi spectrum, you are good to go. My guess is the Explorer app will take care of the internet broadcast. If you cannot broadcast at the moment of the flight, perhaps it will upload the data at a later time? I simply don't know at this point.

FAA will require you to subscribe to a privately-run service. “[E]ach entity operating a UAS would be required to subscribe to a Remote ID USS at a rate of $2.50 per month or $30 per year.” (Page 196) Estimate involves “significant uncertainty” & doesn’t include cellular costs.
Okay, come on. Free leisure!
Spied on and racketeered !

FAA will require you to subscribe to a privately-run service. “[E]ach entity operating a UAS would be required to subscribe to a Remote ID USS at a rate of $2.50 per month or $30 per year.” (Page 196) Estimate involves “significant uncertainty” & doesn’t include cellular costs.
Okay, come on. Free leisure!
Spied on and racketeered !
If so, some politician must have their hands in it and getting their share of the $$$.

I really would not worry about it to much. By the time this is implemented it will have change ten times over. The projected time for this to even get off the ground is 3-5 years from now. Full effect is 36 months after the Rule is final and the FAA has previously said it could take 2 years to get to a final rule.

People, don't panic. The Autel Evo's hardware has the capability for broadcasting Remote ID. In fact, all big consumer players have this capability. I wanted to get home to turn on my Phantom, to show you guys that Remote ID has been around for a while now, but it has not been mandatory. Basically all we need is a software and firmware update to tell the drone to broadcast the information required. Basically Autel just needs to get to work to comply with the new regulations (if they pass).
View attachment 5884
So the evo has the capability to stream the ID In a frequency so we can fly over the 400' range? Or are we limited to phone wifi. To clarify

Sorry if this is a stupid question but is the drone broadcasting or both the drone and RC?
I'm also confused as to whether the 400' is a hard limit. Whatever happens it's a relief to hear my all in Evo investment wont be grounded. I've mainly used it for Church functions with our youth groups and it has worked flawlessly.
I wonder about the Yuneec Breeze that can be flown to its OEM limit, land and then take off again for more distance as it would reset its RTH. Of course that's an aging drone and theres "modified" firmware out there. Still own a bunch of them that I modified with different LED lighting schemes.
I guess I brought up the Breeze as I was wondering if you land other pro-sumer drones and then reset its home point to that position does it still broadcast the correct distance from its RC if you are still at your original home point?

Here is something to consider, are you even going to be interested in the EVO in 6 years or will you have the newest and best updated UAV that passes all the rules?

The FAA rule establishes a three-year transition period, but that period doesn't start until the FAA has accepted public comments on its initial proposal, made appropriate adjustments, and issued a final rule. That rulemaking process can take many months. So the new system won't be fully operational until 2023 at the earliest. After the FAA puts the new rule in place, drone manufacturers have three years to comply. So, right here are six years before we see anyone starting to enforce the new rule. A LOT can and will happen over the next six years.

Reactions: Squaddy
So the evo has the capability to stream the ID In a frequency so we can fly over the 400' range? Or are we limited to phone wifi. To clarify
Evo has the capability to stream the ID.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but is the drone broadcasting or both the drone and RC?
I'm also confused as to whether the 400' is a hard limit. Whatever happens it's a relief to hear my all in Evo investment wont be grounded. I've mainly used it for Church functions with our youth groups and it has worked flawlessly.
I wonder about the Yuneec Breeze that can be flown to its OEM limit, land and then take off again for more distance as it would reset its RTH. Of course that's an aging drone and theres "modified" firmware out there. Still own a bunch of them that I modified with different LED lighting schemes.
I guess I brought up the Breeze as I was wondering if you land other pro-sumer drones and then reset its home point to that position does it still broadcast the correct distance from its RC if you are still at your original home point?
The drone will broadcast via wifi and your cellphone or tablet will broadcast via internet.

The 400' hard limit is if your drone won't broadcast via wifi spectrum. Your Yuneec is able to broadcast.

Reactions: Pman
Maybe I missed it but is this being proposed at the moment strictly for positioning information or can they send your drone a real time signal to make it do something like force land?

Maybe I missed it but is this being proposed at the moment strictly for positioning information or can they send your drone a real time signal to make it do something like force land?

DJI already has that option for TFR's. Not saying Autel will but might be forced to have it also.
This just happened this year. Great example is the guy flying 1/2 mile away over a river / lake when a TFR went into effect. The flight was fine right up until the moment the TFR went live. Then the software said it was time to land (having recognized the TFR going live). The result was a water landing (RIP). A similar scenario could be imagined for a Remote ID USS connect on take off and then software forcing a landing or shutoff when there is a disconnect.

I think he means the wifi spectrum broadcast, if it can be used to take control of your drone. I don't believe so, but with hackers now a days, I can't answer your question.

With the upcoming remote ID... All these new drones for sale now are worthless in a few years when the new regulation take place. I have a Mavic Pro Platinum, Evo and a spark. They will be worthless in a few years and the government only wants drone with the ID remote so they track you where are you flying.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barry.bain