Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Evo wall crash - gimbal issue

Icaris19

Reaction score
So of course I was using the Evo in my first week of receiving it and while at my In-laws I was showing them how nice everything worked and of course went too close to the front of the house after turning off the sensors and clipped the drone into the front wall. It was about 8 ft off the ground, battery came off and drone hit the grass. I inspected everything and aside from a scuff on the front of the camera lense and the front right foot, everything seems ok. Upon power I noticed the gimble would keep trying to calibrate every 7 seconds or so. Connection and video are still clear but it fails to calibrate. Drone flies just like normal and all sensors work. However the gimbal just continues to try and calibrate - lenses ends at a slightly tilted angle and then it waits 7 seconds and tries again. Gimbal moves smoothly and the tethers are all still in good condition. Any ideas on how to manually calibrate, or is it possible the lenses was tilted off its "zero" position from the impact and now cant find the level position to finish calibrating? Thanks for any info ! And I guess its a good reason to not try turning off the sensors when you feel like you have mastered something in the first 3 hours of flight time.

Welcome to the forums.

From what you say, it appears one of the gimbal motors is hurt, therefore it won't calibrate properly. You will have to send it in for repairs.

Is there a way to reset the gimbal or is the only option to select calibrate in the menu? Thanks again!

Welcome to the forums.

From what you say, it appears one of the gimbal motors is hurt, therefore it won't calibrate properly. You will have to send it in for repairs.

I believe part of the coils of the motor bent upon impact. This is why the camera never returns to original position and tries to recalibrate. If you know what you are doing, you can try to repair it, but my advice is leave it to the pros and send it in.

It is a common occurence, since the camera gimbal is the weakest link.

Wanted to post a video of the calibration loop if that helps at all - video still comes through clear on the remote and phone, connection still normal but it will keep doing this.
And ANSIA thanks for all your info thus far - appreciate the help

Reactions: Ansia
Interesting. It seems as the pitch gimbal motor stops working, forcing the gimbal to recalibrate. I thought it was the yaw gimbal motor where your problem was. You can try and manually force the camera to the original position and see if by a miracle that fixes it.

Sending mine in tomorrow. I was 50 feet from home point hovering infront of me no more that 3 feet above ground 5 feet from myself. Brought the bird in low and was manually landing as the battery was low.... zoom!!! Darn thing shot straight up into a tree as it was returning to home, fell 12-15 feet and landed on a sidewalk. Damaged the gimbal, a prop, and the undercarriage. My kids all stood there waiting for my reaction. “Huh... well no we’ve learned to not stand under a tree EVER.” We retrieved the evo and battery, powered it up, the gimbal went into a seizure back and forth in all directions clanking the camera and gimbal together.

No amount of calibration will fix it, Alan sent the fedex form to send it back. It’s only traveling 2 hours to Autel in Bothell. Hopefully it won’t be gone too long.

Reactions: Justin Moline
Sending mine in tomorrow. I was 50 feet from home point hovering infront of me no more that 3 feet above ground 5 feet from myself. Brought the bird in low and was manually landing as the battery was low.... zoom!!! Darn thing shot straight up into a tree as it was returning to home, fell 12-15 feet and landed on a sidewalk. Damaged the gimbal, a prop, and the undercarriage. My kids all stood there waiting for my reaction. “Huh... well no we’ve learned to not stand under a tree EVER.” We retrieved the evo and battery, powered it up, the gimbal went into a seizure back and forth in all directions clanking the camera and gimbal together.

No amount of calibration will fix it, Alan sent the fedex form to send it back. It’s only traveling 2 hours to Autel in Bothell. Hopefully it won’t be gone too long.
Sounds like you broke a gimbal ribbon cable. By the way, if anyone ever needs a spare gimbal, there is one on ebay right now for $300

FYI if your bird is trying to return home on a lower battery, you have to press AND HOLD the pause button until the return home function is canceled. Trying to descend with toggle sticks will not work.

that was my lesson to learn, of course it shot up into a tree, the pause button would’ve yielded the same results. Don’t fly under objects! Lesson number two.

Final results
Just a hair 300.00
Accident happened 9/1
Sent from Yakima, WA to Bothell, WA 9/9
Arrived 9/11
Shipped back 9/23
Arrived 9/24

replaced complete gimbal assembly, left the broken assembly in the box as well. Great work, great, lesson learned.

Reactions: Justin Moline
Interesting. It seems as the pitch gimbal motor stops working, forcing the gimbal to recalibrate. I thought it was the yaw gimbal motor where your problem was. You can try and manually force the camera to the original position and see if by a miracle that fixes it.
Hi Ansia, are you still around? I'd welcome your diagnosis of my similar but violent gimbal behaviour. App can't calibrate the gimbal because it reports that the unit is shaking…

Hi Ansia, are you still around? I'd welcome your diagnosis of my similar but violent gimbal behaviour. App can't calibrate the gimbal because it reports that the unit is shaking…
Did you figure out what exactly was the problem? If so let me know please

Wanted to post a video of the calibration loop if that helps at all - video still comes through clear on the remote and phone, connection still normal but it will keep doing this.
And ANSIA thanks for all your info thus far - appreciate the help
Did you figure it out? I have the same issue and of course, Autel has discontinued the drone and won’t fix it

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MountainDroneTN