Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

IMU calibration fails at step 3

gtae07

Reaction score
Just got a Nano plus and took it out of the box to make a test flight. Made sure everything was charged, and then tried to do the calibration. No matter what I've tried it fails at step 3 (place on left side).

I've tried propping it up so it sits properly on the left, and I've tried letting it rest as it wants to (rolled maybe 105 degrees and a bit nose down)
I've tried calibrating the compass and gimbal first.
I tried placing it on its right side figuring maybe someone got the sides mixed up.
I took it inside to calibrate on the table instead of the patio.
I've tried rebooting, I've wiped and reinstalled the app on the advice of the support hotline. Still no luck, and now the compass won't calibrate either.

Appreciate any suggestions you might have, before I call support again..

This is my second attempt at a "nice" drone; I'd previously purchased a DJI mini 2 and it had a busted gimbal (broken off and dangling by a wire) right fresh out of the box. This is not leaving a good taste in my mouth...

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Were you instructed to do a IMU calibration?

Yes, as soon as I powered on and connected everything it popped up as "IMU abnormal" and said calibration was needed.

(also, how did this get into Classifieds? I coulda sworn I'd put it in the nano plus forum 🤔)

Last edited:
I’ll move it to the correct place

Apparently it's a bad-from-stock issue; Support is having me send it in under warranty.

The IMU calibration isn't exactly intuitive, at least for the EVO II which I assume is probably the same for the nano. I was doing it wrong initially until watching some videos, I can't find the one I used, but did find this one today:

Maybe watch this video to verify you did the steps correctly.

SHG

This is a great example of what I was seeing:
I had tried to do exactly like this guy:

Mine got there and they said "after extensive flight testing we find nothing wrong". No idea how they were able to get it to calibrate right.

It's on the way back and should arrive tomorrow. There's only one thing I haven't tried, and that's chilling/refrigerating the drone before calibrating as suggested in one other youtube video (because it's hot down here this time of year). If I can't get it to work right I'm taking it back to Costco and dropping the drone idea.

Reactions: Joe DiMauro
Freaking Fedex kept dropping the ball but it finally showed up yesterday. Popped in a battery and fired it up. No "cal needed" message! Went for a short flight.

Now I need to figure a way to temporarily disable the obstacle protection or otherwise land in tight spots--trying to fly from the back patio I could launch fine, but as I was trying to come back in and land it wouldn't edge back over the patio. I was getting constant proximity alarms and it wouldn't even creep forward. Finally was able to go high and come in sideways...

Edit: found it here: obstacle

Reactions: EBERLS

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skygod34