Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

EVO II Took Off on It's Own

REStewart

Reaction score
Website
capturedmemoriesphoto.smugmug.com
Was getting ready to fly my EVO II on Thanksgiving day and noticed there was a firmware update available. I downloaded it to my RC connected to my Android with the Autel EVO app on it. Knowing the drone has to be on to upload the firmware I turned it on (first mistake) indoors. Without any input from me the drone took off from my dining room table and (second mistake) I grabbed for it. Finally I got hold of it turned it on it side and it stopped. Off to the ER and 20+ stiches later decided to try again, this time outside. Again, it took off and went into a hover about 4 feet off the launch location. No response from the control sticks. Hit RTH and up it went to the RTH altitude and descended and landed in a normal RTH mode. The only thing I can figure is that the new firmware download had not finished downloading (giving rise to not being able to control it) but nothing I have found explains why it took off. I don't think I accidently hit the UP/DOWN automatic takeoff/land button, and I certainly didn't hit it on both occasions.

I let the firmware get completely processed via the controller/smartphone and got the ready to upload screen. Turned the drone on and it went through the upload process in what seemed like a normal manner. From that point it responded and flew normally.

Scoured the manual and the only thing I saw (p59 Chapter 5 Maintenance and Service) was that I initiated the firmware update via the controller/android rather than downloading to the SD card and inserting in the aircraft.

Has anyone else had any similar experience or can explain what I did wrong. (OK, in retrospect I probably should have not grabbed for it as it has omnidirectional obstacle avoidance and would have probably just hovered until I figured it out; but I wasn't thinking that quick)

Was getting ready to fly my EVO II on Thanksgiving day and noticed there was a firmware update available. I downloaded it to my RC connected to my Android with the Autel EVO app on it. Knowing the drone has to be on to upload the firmware I turned it on (first mistake) indoors. Without any input from me the drone took off from my dining room table and (second mistake) I grabbed for it. Finally I got hold of it turned it on it side and it stopped. Off to the ER and 20+ stiches later decided to try again, this time outside. Again, it took off and went into a hover about 4 feet off the launch location. No response from the control sticks. Hit RTH and up it went to the RTH altitude and descended and landed in a normal RTH mode. The only thing I can figure is that the new firmware download had not finished downloading (giving rise to not being able to control it) but nothing I have found explains why it took off. I don't think I accidently hit the UP/DOWN automatic takeoff/land button, and I certainly didn't hit it on both occasions.

I let the firmware get completely processed via the controller/smartphone and got the ready to upload screen. Turned the drone on and it went through the upload process in what seemed like a normal manner. From that point it responded and flew normally.

Scoured the manual and the only thing I saw (p59 Chapter 5 Maintenance and Service) was that I initiated the firmware update via the controller/android rather than downloading to the SD card and inserting in the aircraft.

Has anyone else had any similar experience or can explain what I did wrong. (OK, in retrospect I probably should have not grabbed for it as it has omnidirectional obstacle avoidance and would have probably just hovered until I figured it out; but I wasn't thinking that quick)
Yikes! Sorry to hear about the ER visit - hope you heal quickly. Best thing is to remove the props before powering that puppy up indoors, just in case...

Sorry to hear you had serious issues and serious injury from this recent update, that’s terrible and twice it did the same.

Recently, Maybe few days ago did the same update. Everything went smooth, no issues. Did fly yesterday to see if bugs had been fixed, Only seen one bug still there but doesn’t mean I’m 100% sure the remaining bugs have been fixed. One particular bug, that was definitely fixed was from the recent previous updates my Evo 2 would sway/weave side to side with speed slowing down when using RTH mode. That wasn’t the case yesterday, ran two batteries to make sure didn’t see this issue anymore.

I’m still seeing the Gimbal warning (gimbal not ready), but it clears itself from returning after liftoff. Doesn’t return during flight, That’s one bug definitely needs to be addressed. Other than that, didn’t see anymore bugs.

Hope your future flights are safe, pongnut and Parkgt suggested maybe remove props on future updates.

Paul

Reactions: TravisPNW
Thanks guys. I've been flying since 2017 (also have DJI P4P) Yes, I knew better than to energize indoors with the props on. No excuse there. But I have updated firmware before (outside when it was warmer) and the drone never started up therefore the unwarranted false sense of security. I have sent a report to Autel, basically the same as here and hope they can shed some light on what happened (I'm sure they will scold me too about the props). However, a bird should NEVER fly without a command from the PIC. Fortunately the injuries were very clean and are healing fast so the main thing that was hurt was my claim of having good sense.

Wow...sorry for that incident...that sounds painful. Glad you are healing ok! I agree...never should be a take off command sent to the drone by the RC when updating, or by any firmware update on the drone itself. OUCH! Lets see with Autel says.

Wow, sorry about the experience. Well,, at least one good thing came out of this. I certainly won't keep the props on during any updates or sensor calibrations. Thanks for sharing.. Glad you're ok.

Reactions: TravisPNW

Yes, the exact same thing happened to me during an upgrade in my lounge room, and, like you I tried to grab it because it wouldn't stop. Sliced through the top of my finger and knuckle, however I wasn't prepared to go to hospital, so I used super glue.

Attachments

• IMG20201024115104.jpg
    IMG20201024115104.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 35
THIS HAPPENED TO ME TOO LOL. I also grabbed for the drone, and yes, i also got absolutely shreded.... basically cut the tip of my thumb off and i got the same type of cut. This was like one or 2 days after. I also decided against going to the ER for stitches and I just used butterfly bandaids to set it, and then kept it bound pretty tightly. I just took a picture of it now(2nd picture below) and its actually healed astonishingly well....

Attachments

• 126137741_176359600793786_8700721285059500330_n.jpg
    126137741_176359600793786_8700721285059500330_n.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 130143613_372227094078423_163591139873002526_n.png
    130143613_372227094078423_163591139873002526_n.png
    418.6 KB · Views: 23
note to self...this is seriously not a game. you guys are braver than me, I would go to the ER for sure.

note to self...this is seriously not a game. you guys are braver than me, I would go to the ER for sure.
To be honest- I wasn't sure if I would have to get stiches or not. I've never had them in my life, and I suppose I was a little scaredy cat about it, so I was just going to see if I could stop the bleeding myself. If i wasn't able to, I definitely would of gone to the ER. My girlfriend wanted to use superglue on me, but I wasn't quite ready to go that far lol

Reactions: REStewart
To be honest- I wasn't sure if I would have to get stiches or not. I've never had them in my life, and I suppose I was a little scaredy cat about it, so I was just going to see if I could stop the bleeding myself. If i wasn't able to, I definitely would of gone to the ER. My girlfriend wanted to use superglue on me, but I wasn't quite ready to go that far lol
I recently had a Skill Saw take 3 gashes of skin through the tip of my middle finger. Theses gashes were like an 8th of an inch thick. its like i had six pieces of flesh to put back together like a puzzle. I was lucky enough that the gashed parts of the skin were still hanging and attached. I cleaned the wound with copious amount of dish soap and water, until the bleeding slowed, then pushed the hanging skin back into place. I let it dry a little, so the blood would hold the skin in place then gently wrapped it in a large band aid. It took 4 weeks before I could bump the wound without it bleeding. I didn't go to the ER because I am a medical doctor and I knew what they would do. Sewing my finger was out of the question. So I did a fancy plastic surgery job on it. Because I didn't use sutures or glue, I had to be very careful with the wound for 3 months. Now it looks like it never happened.

THIS HAPPENED TO ME TOO LOL. I also grabbed for the drone, and yes, i also got absolutely shreded.... basically cut the tip of my thumb off and i got the same type of cut. This was like one or 2 days after. I also decided against going to the ER for stitches and I just used butterfly bandaids to set it, and then kept it bound pretty tightly. I just took a picture of it now(2nd picture below) and its actually healed astonishingly well....
awwwweee yuk. As I was fighting my drone, which had a mind of its own, blood and dust was being blown around my lounge floor and walls, looked like a crime scene.

I recently had a Skill Saw take 3 gashes of skin through the tip of my middle finger. Theses gashes were like an 8th of an inch thick. its like i had six pieces of flesh to put back together like a puzzle. I was lucky enough that the gashed parts of the skin were still hanging and attached. I cleaned the wound with copious amount of dish soap and water, until the bleeding slowed, then pushed the hanging skin back into place. I let it dry a little, so the blood would hold the skin in place then gently wrapped it in a large band aid. It took 4 weeks before I could bump the wound without it bleeding. I didn't go to the ER because I am a medical doctor and I knew what they would do. Sewing my finger was out of the question. So I did a fancy plastic surgery job on it. Because I didn't use sutures or glue, I had to be very careful with the wound for 3 months. Now it looks like it never happened.
faaaaaaack man. that sounds absolutely gnarly. i haven't had a serious injury like this in a long time- it really makes me marvel a bit at our healing abilities. when it first happened and i realized just how big and deep it opened my finger i was definitely panicking a bit. yours was much worse obviously. i think its taken about 2 weeks to go from the inital to the 2nd picture i showed on my msg. i really under estimated the power of the props on this thing

Looks like your camera focused on the background, instead of your hand. You hand is bluured out. Can't see anything.

Thanks again guys. Appreciate the information and particularly the confirmation by blusti and piperz that their drones also launched without command. Have been in touch with Autel and they want the drone back for evaluation but I'm not sure I want to do that. It's operating perfectly now and I am inclined to believe the anomaly is related to energizing the drone while a download is in progress on the remote and phone (my phone is android based with service provided by Verizon). I've asked Autel to try to simulate in the lab but have not received a comment on that. Hopefully, they will look at this thread and see I am not the only one.

And the comic relief albeit grizzly, is pretty good too. The crime scene comment was very relevant in my case too. The props blew blood all over the room and blew a bowl of cereal off the table into the wall and onto the floor. While tempted, we did not not call CSI since intellect degradation is not a crime. Again, thanks.

Reactions: bluesti
And the lesson learned? Anyone? Never update ANY drone's firmware with props on...come one....common sense, and it takes seconds, not minutes to do.
Yes, we have ALL done it. Not anymore for me, after seeing and reading this. Yuuck. These things are not really the "toys" we think they are....

Yikes! Sorry to hear about the ER visit - hope you heal quickly. Best thing is to remove the props before powering that puppy up indoors, just in case...
And the lesson learned? Anyone? Never update ANY drone's firmware with props on...come one....common sense, and it takes seconds, not minutes to do.
Yes, we have ALL done it. Not anymore for me, after seeing and reading this. Yuuck. These things are not really the "toys" we think they are....

Glad you're OK OP... and no I've never had mine take off like that.

I actually upgraded to the latest firmware this morning... and had to do it multiple times for each of my 4 batteries. I'm sitting at the PC doing some unrelated work while just powering up the controller and powering up the drone on the floor and then letting it do its thing.

Well... when the 3rd battery was done and I was half paying attention to the drone and to my PC instead of hitting the "hold to power off/on button on the controller" I accidentally hit the "hold to take off/land" button next to it... :eek::oops:

... it powered up to fly but didn't go anywhere because the props weren't on it.

Something I always do... remove the props and only install them when I'm outside and ready to fly. :)

Reactions: bluesti
from now on as a rule, I will remove the props from all of my drones when working with them...except for the screw on props for the mini. I've always practiced similar to what I've done with guns. don't put any body parts into or in front of the barrel and if you drop the gun, don't try to grab it or pick it up. meaning, don't go anywhere near those props and if it does fly, you go in the opposite direction. however, it is infinitely better to just remove the props just like you would unload the gun. apologies for the analogy.

also I don't understand the obsession with hand launching and landing. clearly you want to do it in an emergency or when you have no choice but why anyone would reach out or go anywhere near those moving blades when an accident could happen....I don't get it, it's not that cool.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MountainDroneTN