Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Evo 2 Pro Photo Settings Video/Manual Focus App Bug

atortaloha

Reaction score
So I recorded a video for YouTube per some requests on photo settings and my setup for taking pictures as a still photographer with my Evo 2 Pro 6K drone. This video is mainly about that. But I have been having all kinds of weird connectivity issues with my remote and iPhone 12 Pro Max and Autel Support both said they are aware of connectivity issues hence the new smart controller may be a great improvement for some while others at Autel Support made it sound like I am the only one experiencing these issues which I find hard to believe. I am running 14.5 now and a brand new iPhone 12 Pro Max. Many times my settings won't stick and take. For example scroll to apertures and click on one and it won't select it. This video shows me selecting Manual focus Mode for example and it won't show the manual focus controls which is really bizarre. It does on occasion and then doesn't and really messes with me flying this drone always fumbling around trying to figure out why things are not behaving the way they should. Anyway I have chapter markers in there and hope this helps some and also shows that the Autel Explorer app to some is very buggy and hardly an ideal flying experience. Aloha.

Reactions: PTBperegrine
So I recorded a video for YouTube per some requests on photo settings and my setup for taking pictures as a still photographer with my Evo 2 Pro 6K drone. This video is mainly about that. But I have been having all kinds of weird connectivity issues with my remote and iPhone 12 Pro Max and Autel Support both said they are aware of connectivity issues hence the new smart controller may be a great improvement for some while others at Autel Support made it sound like I am the only one experiencing these issues which I find hard to believe. I am running 14.5 now and a brand new iPhone 12 Pro Max. Many times my settings won't stick and take. For example scroll to apertures and click on one and it won't select it. This video shows me selecting Manual focus Mode for example and it won't show the manual focus controls which is really bizarre. It does on occasion and then doesn't and really messes with me flying this drone always fumbling around trying to figure out why things are not behaving the way they should. Anyway I have chapter markers in there and hope this helps some and also shows that the Autel Explorer app to some is very buggy and hardly an ideal flying experience. Aloha.

I have always had issues with the settings in the app. Sometimes the manual exposure settings menu won't come up at all, other times I am unable to select specific items in the menu. Also, some settings don't seem to stick either due to a lag in the app or due to a lag in the response from the drone. For example, I've picked Ludicrous mode and the desired speed before but it doesn't take and reverts back to regular mode. Trying to disable the lights has the same problem....sometimes it sticks sometimes it does not.

I use a dedicated iPad mini for the Autel and I have none of these problems in the DJI app. What I have found when the manual camera settings will not come up is sometimes you need to use the controller's button instead to get it to come up then use the menu exit button on the controller to get it to exit the sub menu. Usually with a few button presses on the controller combined with tapping the screen I can get the manual exposure menu to work as designed.

BTW, this problem gets worse the more interference there is between the EVO and the controller. It seems the menu system is tied to waiting on a response from the EVO before it will update the setting on the screen so if the drone isn't responding neither will the display on the screen. So what I do is I try to set all of my exposure settings while the drone is close by before sending it farther away; typically the exposure doesn't change much in that scenario.

For me it really isn't that big of a deal; ideal definitely not, buggy definitely, but a show stopper...not so far. The main trick is to also use the buttons on the controller to try to navigate the onscreen exposure settings if the app is unresponsive.

Oh and BTW...if Autel Support said you need the new Smart Controller to fix these issues that's a complete BS answer if you ask me. No way should I need a $1200 device to fix basic functionality within their app.

I have always had issues with the settings in the app. Sometimes the manual exposure settings menu won't come up at all, other times I am unable to select specific items in the menu. Also, some settings don't seem to stick either due to a lag in the app or due to a lag in the response from the drone. For example, I've picked Ludicrous mode and the desired speed before but it doesn't take and reverts back to regular mode. Trying to disable the lights has the same problem....sometimes it sticks sometimes it does not.

I use a dedicated iPad mini for the Autel and I have none of these problems in the DJI app. What I have found when the manual camera settings will not come up is sometimes you need to use the controller's button instead to get it to come up then use the menu exit button on the controller to get it to exit the sub menu. Usually with a few button presses on the controller combined with tapping the screen I can get the manual exposure menu to work as designed.

BTW, this problem gets worse the more interference there is between the EVO and the controller. It seems the menu system is tied to waiting on a response from the EVO before it will update the setting on the screen so if the drone isn't responding neither will the display on the screen. So what I do is I try to set all of my exposure settings while the drone is close by before sending it farther away; typically the exposure doesn't change much in that scenario.

For me it really isn't that big of a deal; ideal definitely not, buggy definitely, but a show stopper...not so far. The main trick is to also use the buttons on the controller to try to navigate the onscreen exposure settings if the app is unresponsive.

Oh and BTW...if Autel Support said you need the new Smart Controller to fix these issues that's a complete BS answer if you ask me. No way should I need a $1200 device to fix basic functionality within their app.
I agree completely about your last statement for sure hardly acceptable and NO you should need need to dish out another $1200 on a controller to solve an app connectivity issue. They need an entirely new app in my opinion it sucks. The Fly App to me is amazingly simple and works and they should strive for something like that. I guess I am glad others are experiencing similar issues too even though not good. If you guys are on YouTube feel free to subscribe I am going to be getting a smart controller and we shall see what happens with that. Aloha

I agree completely about your last statement for sure hardly acceptable and NO you should need need to dish out another $1200 on a controller to solve an app connectivity issue. They need an entirely new app in my opinion it sucks. The Fly App to me is amazingly simple and works and they should strive for something like that. I guess I am glad others are experiencing similar issues too even though not good. If you guys are on YouTube feel free to subscribe I am going to be getting a smart controller and we shall see what happens with that. Aloha
Yes, I would subscribe to your YT channel if I knew your channel name (atortaloha doesn't work).

Reactions: atortaloha
I've had similar problems with my iPad Mini 5. I just thought it was an iPad problem or perhaps the screen protector was blocking my touches. The controller menu roller/button works consistently, though. That would indicate that the problem is not related to signal strength or distance. It looks more like a communication problem between the controller and iPad Mini 5.

I've had similar problems with my iPad Mini 5. I just thought it was an iPad problem or perhaps the screen protector was blocking my touches. The controller menu roller/button works consistently, though. That would indicate that the problem is not related to signal strength or distance. It looks more like a communication problem between the controller and iPad Mini 5.

I have had problems with the button as well, not as many as with the app but sometimes I have to press the menu button a few times on the controller and sometimes there is a delay when I turn the wheel or press the back button. Fortunately it is bearable and nothing that can bring the drone to the ground (like DJI's geofencing), but annoying nonetheless.

I have had problems with the button as well, not as many as with the app but sometimes I have to press the menu button a few times on the controller and sometimes there is a delay when I turn the wheel or press the back button. Fortunately it is bearable and nothing that can bring the drone to the ground (like DJI's geofencing), but annoying nonetheless.
I mean you could clearly see in this video if I were wanting to use manual focus mode I basically couldn't which is unacceptable. Not being able to use a feature because of some app bugs or issues just is not a fun part of the flying experience. Autel really needs to figure this stuff out because when I call them they basically don't seem to feel it's that big of a deal and maybe it's not in a way, but it is to me and many especially coming from DJI which doesn't have any of these issues. If they expect to get DJI people to use Autel and actually enjoy the experience the same as their DJI drones they better have these kinks worked out to me otherwise going to fail.

Yup it's a communication issue for sure between the devices and the remote and app and needs to be sorted out. I hope Autel pays attention to these forums and see these posts.

Just subscribed saw it today earlier on the tube and bam here I am again - deja vu all over - good job!

Good time of day! A month ago I bought the Evo 2 pro, experience is not enough, since this is my first quadrocopter. Constantly shows an error. "Bottom-view calibration error, please download calibration tool from the official website for calibration" I calibrated the camera and did not notice any complaints in the work. I will be happy to advise you on how to resolve this issue.

Good time of day! A month ago I bought the Evo 2 pro, experience is not enough, since this is my first quadrocopter. Constantly shows an error. "Bottom-view calibration error, please download calibration tool from the official website for calibration" I calibrated the camera and did not notice any complaints in the work. I will be happy to advise you on how to resolve this issue.
Thank you, it will help someone for sure!

Hi all! I got my Evo 2 Pro 2 weeks ago and I'm running into major issues with my autofocus. It comes and goes during video and most of the time when I switch to taking photos I encounter issues with autofocus. When I attempts to switch to manual focus it's hopeless and I can't even select it. The button seems frozen (not grayed out). Any idea if Autel is working on an update to address this?

Try disconnecting then reconnecting the gimbal connection strip - 4 screws - see gimbal removal and its quite simple - it might be a connection issue, if not that Im toast out of idea for you.

Reactions: Anthonydotcom
No likes for me sadly - keep trying and advise what the issue was please.
It's going to Autel for a warranty repair. I tried just about everything. Manually re-flashed the firmware. I tried a different SD card. I tried recording to internal storage. Honestly, I found myself having issues when I wasn't even recording.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo