Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

EVO 2 Aircraft itself is shaking when hovering. It stays in place but it's shaking like 1/2 to 1cm roll. (((( )))) It looks like a very nervous person

quinn karter

Reaction score
I recently recalibrated my IMU, but now the drone is shaking. It shaking all around like something is trying to destabilize it's hover and then the drone quickly compensates. It doesn't drift or anything. Just shaking maybe 1/2 to 1 cm. The Gimbal compensates for the shake, so the video is fine. But I'm afraid whatever is causing the shake, may cause a crash. After I noticed the shake I did another IMU calibration and I replaced the props. These procedures did not correct or reduce the problem. Has anyone seen this happen to an EVO2 before? Do you know why it's happening, or how it can be fixed? How to fix? Has anyone had success having it sent in to a drone repair center, if so which drone repair center was it?

I recently recalibrated my IMU, but now the drone is shaking. It shaking all around like something is trying to destabilize it's hover and then the drone quickly compensates. It doesn't drift or anything. Just shaking maybe 1/2 to 1 cm. The Gimbal compensates for the shake, so the video is fine. But I'm afraid whatever is causing the shake, may cause a crash. After I noticed the shake I did another IMU calibration and I replaced the props. These procedures did not correct or reduce the problem. Has anyone seen this happen to an EVO2 before? Do you know why it's happening, or how it can be fixed? How to fix? Has anyone had success having it sent in to a drone repair center, if so which drone repair center was it?
ISSUE FIXED: I opened my Autel EVO2 to find that the IMU was actually lose inside the canopy of the aircraft. Just to make sure that was the problem. I used tape to hold it in place. THE SHAKING STOPPPED. Then I used hot melt glue to permanently fix it into place. NO MORE SHAKING. I'd like to thank all of you , but mostly myself for finding the issue and fixing it. Well, If your reading this and you find you EVO2 shaking during a hover. Well then it could be a lose IMU. When I look back, I know how it got lose. If you really want to know I'll tell you. I thought that if I removed that black piece of plastic that looks like an air vent on the top front on the evo 2, I would keep the internal parts and batterries cooler. But the IMU is right next to that black piece of plastic. So When I removed the plastic, I jarred the IMU lose from it's fixed position (looks like it is on rubber dampeners). OOPS. So when It was flying the IMU would shake around inside the canopy causing the computer to think the Aircraft was shaking, but the IMU was shaking, causing the aircraft to shake, causing a feedback loop of the shakes. It was a very nervous EVO2.

Last edited:
I had a prop do the same thing. the rivets holding the blades were "loose" compared to the other 3, swapped prop, no more shakes

ISSUE FIXED: I opened my Autel EVO2 to find that the IMU was actually lose inside the canopy of the aircraft. Just to make sure that was the problem. I used tape to hold it in place. THE SHAKING STOPPPED. Then I used hot melt glue to permanently fix it into place. NO MORE SHAKING. I'd like to thank all of you , but mostly myself for finding the issue and fixing it. Well, If your reading this and you find you EVO2 shaking during a hover. Well then it could be a lose IMU. When I look back, I know how it got lose. If you really want to know I'll tell you. I thought that if I removed that black piece of plastic that looks like an air vent on the top front on the evo 2, I would keep the internal parts and batterries cooler. But the IMU is right next to that black piece of plastic. So When I removed the plastic, I jarred the IMU lose from it's fixed position (looks like it is on rubber dampeners). OOPS. So when It was flying the IMU would shake around inside the canopy causing the computer to think the Aircraft was shaking, but the IMU was shaking, causing the aircraft to shake, causing a feedback loop of the shakes. It was a very nervous EVO2.
Can you make a video of this for better illustrations? I am having the same issue.

Can you please make a video and share it for better illustrations? I am having same issue as you did.

Can you please make a video and share it for better illustrations? I am having same issue as you did.
I wish I could, but I put the drone canopy back together after I re-affixed the IMU into it's little black frame. I attached a video on how to take the orange canopy off. It's time consuming. You have to take the bottom off first, then the top.
In this video you can see the IMU with a bluish checkmark on it, at exactly the 6:44 mark in this video. The IMU should be firmly fixed in that little black dampener frame. It should not be lose inside that box.

I wish I could, but I put the drone canopy back together after I re-affixed the IMU into it's little black frame. I attached a video on how to take the orange canopy off. It's time consuming. You have to take the bottom off first, then the top.
In this video you can see the IMU with a bluish checkmark on it, at exactly the 6:44 mark in this video. The IMU should be firmly fixed in that little black dampener frame. It should not be lose inside that box.
Thank you.....video great help.

just a side note: Will the internal temperature of the EVO II not get hot and melt your "hot melt glue"? Not sure how hot the drone's internal components gets when flying for a few hours in a row. It always got me wondered why the fan noise needs to blow at maximum even when it is just sitting on the desk connected to a PC or laptop via USB doing nothing else than USB transfer. Just curious if "hot melt glue" is really safe.

just a side note: Will the internal temperature of the EVO II not get hot and melt your "hot melt glue"? Not sure how hot the drone's internal components gets when flying for a few hours in a row. It always got me wondered why the fan noise needs to blow at maximum even when it is just sitting on the desk connected to a PC or laptop via USB doing nothing else than USB transfer. Just curious if "hot melt glue" is really safe.
The top of the drone and IMU stay cool. The glue won't melt and release itself. All the heat in the drone stays in the battery and in the lectronics below it, otherwise the electronics and parts on top remain cool.
Anyway, I didn't want to use something too strong to hold the imu in place. A few months later I actually pulled the hot melt glue off and fit a rubber dampener, replacing the hot melt glue. It absorbed the vibration better, and levelled the IMU to spec. All is good now.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials