Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

My evo 2 occasionally won't shut down it's motors when it lands. Does anyone else have this occasional issue happen to them?

quinn karter

Reaction score
On rare occassions, with no payloads or attachments to block the sensors, my drone will land, but it's motors won't shut down. It's like it doesn't know it has landed. Then, the motors kind of speed up and slow down and just keep doing that. I am able to turn them off, by taking off again and relanding the drone, but when it takes off with it's motors running at a higher than normal rate, the drone doesn't go straight up. It moves like a foot away from the take off point, creating a potential to hit something during the relaunch. It makes me nervous. Has anyone had this happen to them?

Reactions: Ann2Howard
On rare occassions, with no payloads or attachments to block the sensors, my drone will land, but it's motors won't shut down. It's like it doesn't know it has landed. Then, the motors kind of speed up and slow down and just keep doing that. I am able to turn them off, by taking off again and relanding the drone, but when it takes off with it's motors running at a higher than normal rate, the drone doesn't go straight up. It moves like a foot away from the take off point, creating a potential to hit something during the relaunch. It makes me nervous. Has anyone had this happen to them?

Mine has never done that, definitely sounds like a problem. Have you tried bringing both sticks down and towards the center to try to get it to shut down? I would try an IMU and compass calibration, maybe it thinks it is not level.

I have had mine seem to take a long time to shut down, sometimes I have had to speed up the process by holding both sticks down or down and to the center, but it has not exhibited the exact behavior that you describe.

Mine has never done that, definitely sounds like a problem. Have you tried bringing both sticks down and towards the center to try to get it to shut down? I would try an IMU and compass calibration, maybe it thinks it is not level.

I have had mine seem to take a long time to shut down, sometimes I have had to speed up the process by holding both sticks down or down and to the center, but it has not exhibited the exact behavior that you describe.
I haven't tried bringing both sticks down and to center. The next time it happens, I try doing that. I have a feeling it may work. If it does or doesn't I'll post the result, the next time it happens. It's infrequent, so don't hold your breath for an update.

I haven't had this happen with the E2P but I have been having this issue with the Air 2S but only when hand catching. If I land on the ground it shuts down right away.

I haven't had this happen with the E2P but I have been having this issue with the Air 2S but only when hand catching. If I land on the ground it shuts down right away.
When you hand catch, put your hand under it, pull the stick down to land, grab it, BUT MAKE SURE, you don't move you hand, arm or body in any direction after it lands in your hand. The drone will think it moved and try to position itself back to the position where it remembers where you caught it i.e. recorded a landing position. Any deviation from that spot will cause the drone to try to pull away from you. If you freak out, just let go of it. It will probably just hover, if not just raise the altitude stick and try again.

REGARDING MY ORIGINAL POST: I tried pulling the sticks down and to the center,all that did was make the drone flip to one side. Luckily no damage. Not gonna do that again.
IMPORTANT THING I FORGOT TO ADD: I put extra long leg extenders on my EVO2, it raises the drone about 7 inches off the ground. PERHAPS THIS IS WHY THE DRONE ISN'T SURE IF IT HAS LANDED OR NOT.? Thoughts?.

An easy way to find out is to remove the extension and try landing.

An easy way to find out is to remove the extension and try landing.
That's true, but they are partially permanently fixed in place. I made them myself and used hot melt glue to stick them on. The glue is easily removed, but I don't feel like re-gluing the legs back on. ANYWAY, IF I HAD TO GUESS, IT'S PROBABLY THE LEG EXTENSIONS. No one else has this issue, because they probably have never put leg extensions, as long as the ones I made, on their drones. I'll chaulk the problem up to the leg extensions. I did try, once picking the drone up and covering the bottom sensors, because, I thought maybe the drone didn't think it was close enough to the ground, but that didn't work. I'll just keep doing the takeoff and re-landing procedure. It doesn't happen very often, like once a month maybe, so I don't mind it so much. Thanks for the input.

you really need to have your drone shut off the props when you execute the stick movement on the controller: down and towards the center. I believe that is a setting? to me, that's a safety feature. maybe I read your post incorrectly but you said it does not cut the motor? if not, that's a problem and it's not related to the leg extensions.

When you hand catch, put your hand under it, pull the stick down to land, grab it, BUT MAKE SURE, you don't move you hand, arm or body in any direction after it lands in your hand. The drone will think it moved and try to position itself back to the position where it remembers where you caught it i.e. recorded a landing position. Any deviation from that spot will cause the drone to try to pull away from you. If you freak out, just let go of it. It will probably just hover, if not just raise the altitude stick and try again.

REGARDING MY ORIGINAL POST: I tried pulling the sticks down and to the center,all that did was make the drone flip to one side. Luckily no damage. Not gonna do that again.
IMPORTANT THING I FORGOT TO ADD: I put extra long leg extenders on my EVO2, it raises the drone about 7 inches off the ground. PERHAPS THIS IS WHY THE DRONE ISN'T SURE IF IT HAS LANDED OR NOT.? Thoughts?.

That makes sense then, the drone probably detects it is still too far away from the ground. That would explain why the sticks down and to the center does not work either. It probably happens infrequently because it probably depends on how reflective or contrasty the ground is below it. If it is marginal and not reflecting enough light (or too much light depending on how the sensors work), then the drone detects it is not as close to the ground as it expects and instead attempts to hover.

Simple answer: If you encounter, simply move sticks inward and downward.

I have had something similar happen, iirc maybe less than 5 out of 250 flights, aircraft landed and props kept spinning. First time used the both sticks inward and downward to shutdown. Have also tried moving throttle stick down and inward.

Having experienced it a few times, last time it happened waited to see how it would take care of itself and after a few seconds, it did shutdown.

Btw, fwiw, should you need (or want) to hand catch/land, figure out and practice ahead of time how you will use one hand to catch, the other to throttle down...

I have the same issue, on rare ocassions.
Sometimes it happens 3 consecutive flights.

I don't use any leg extensions, but still get the issue.

That makes sense then, the drone probably detects it is still too far away from the ground. That would explain why the sticks down and to the center does not work either. It probably happens infrequently because it probably depends on how reflective or contrasty the ground is below it. If it is marginal and not reflecting enough light (or too much light depending on how the sensors work), then the drone detects it is not as close to the ground as it expects and instead attempts to hover.
This is why the drone has ultrasonic sensors too... This shouldnt affect it.

This is why the drone has ultrasonic sensors too... This shouldnt affect it.
Interesting. My drone still does it on occasion but I'm noticing a pattern. If I begin my landing from 5-6 feet and it lands, the motors will often stay on, but if I begin a landing from 1-2 feet the motors always turn off. If they don't the only way I can fix it, is by taking off again, to about 1 foot, then hover and then push the stick down to initiate the landing again. This works every time.

Please do a cold imu calibration.
I booted the remote and drone up cold. Went to IMU calibration. It executed successfully. I fly pretty frequently and will perform some test flights and landings from different heights. If the issue happens again, I'll recalibrate one more time. If it continues to show this behavior I'll let you know. Thanks for the advice.

Perfect.. if it continues put the drone in the fridge (without battery) and cool it down for about a half. Then get everyone booted before powering on the drone. Then power drone up and do the calibration as fast as possible.

once that is done we know you have a very solid imu cal. Next I would try to calibrate vision sensors via the calibration tool.

Perfect.. if it continues put the drone in the fridge (without battery) and cool it down for about a half. Then get everyone booted before powering on the drone. Then power drone up and do the calibration as fast as possible.

once that is done we know you have a very solid imu cal. Next I would try to calibrate vision sensors via the calibration tool.
Got it

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but this still happens. Is anyone at Autel looking into this? My Evo 2 was close to ramming into a tree this morning.

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but this still happens. Is anyone at Autel looking into this? My Evo 2 was close to ramming into a tree this morning.
By drifting or not shutting down the motors? Are you holding down the throttle until motors disarm?

By drifting or not shutting down the motors? Are you holding down the throttle until motors disarm?
Well, both. It doesn't shut down the motors when I land it using the throttle stick, and I'm basically forced to bring it back up. When I bring it up again, even if I barely move the throttle up, it gains altitude really fast. Because of this, sometimes it doesn't go straight up, and goes in one side.

I did calibrate it in the cold (it's 5 degrees Celsius outside, and did the calibration there), but there's no change.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials