Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Do you regret buying an Autel and think you should have bought MP2?

Agree, EVO & MP2 aren't in the same bracket. The EVO resides in the middle between M1-MA and MP2.
For what it is, and it's SW limitations and lack of 3rd party support... it's a great little craft to get around NFZ when needed. If Litchi, AutoPilot or others would support, it'd probably be a lot better... similar to the MA gaining several features, including Waypoints via 3rd Party.

At the same time, I personally enjoy 3rd party tools for my large & small platforms. Over the development path, several features introduced by 3rd Party (Litchi, Autopilot, FPV, mapping tools, terrain modeling, etc) have later been adopted by DJI tools. Most of the time their DJI equivalents are less than the offerings by 3rd Party in the manor how the features are implemented or used. Another advantage to 3rd party, several use their own core kernel inplace of using DJI SDK which releases many restrictions within DJI software.

Overall, the 3rd party tools improve DJI toolsets, which is a gain for those that only use DJI tools.

On the OSMO, as of today they released a new Osmo Action to directly compete with GoPro.

If you could use the 3rd party tools completely apart from the DJI app it would be one thing, but as I understand it you have to connect with the DJI app. Start Litchi, force close the DJI app and then go. That is a poor user experience. I've been tempted to try 3rd party apps with the drones, but have stuck to 3rd party OSMO apps.

The OSMO Action is intriguing, but I have one question about it which I can't find yet. One of the (incredibly stupid) things about the GoPro is it can't shoot 4k in linear mode. The new OSMO has an equivalent of linear mode, but is it locked out at some resolutions and functions like the GoPro?

Everyone can compare but there is no argument that most serious drone owners will buy an Evo, you just do not get the freedom,portability and customer service with any other drone.

If you could use the 3rd party tools completely apart from the DJI app it would be one thing, but as I understand it you have to connect with the DJI app. Start Litchi, force close the DJI app and then go. That is a poor user experience. I've been tempted to try 3rd party apps with the drones, but have stuck to 3rd party OSMO apps.

The OSMO Action is intriguing, but I have one question about it which I can't find yet. One of the (incredibly stupid) things about the GoPro is it can't shoot 4k in linear mode. The new OSMO has an equivalent of linear mode, but is it locked out at some resolutions and functions like the GoPro?
Actually that was partly true for older 3rd party tools.
They suggest you start with DJI GO apps (3 or 4) not to initiate the 3rd Party app or the connection for 3rd party app. The Connection is with Radio, not software. It's mainly because 3rd party apps don't write in the DJI parts that check firmware, versions, updates, etc. To insure craft it up to date they encourage GoApp connections for the logistics component. When you Unload / Kill the DJI Go App you remove all instances and start the 3rd party app since only 1 can run at time. The 3rd party App doesn't ever know you've started the DJI Go App previously even if you did start & verify.

But AutoPilot for example does not even use DJI code, it's all 3rd party. Litchi on the other hand used DJI SDK code... two different animals. One difference, DJI SDK allows you to fly connected with updated instructions and pause program, tweak and re-upload. AutoPilot you upload code and it doesn't use DJI restrictions but you can't modify either.. you have to terminate, reload, and start again. Pro & Cons of both.

Several others don't use DJI core kernel either... some similar to Litchi and other similar to AutoPilot's scheme of control & coding.

Osmo... the Action should be an interesting one to watch and get updated a few times in FW. I'm not a much of an Osmo user.... have a few Osmo for the X5 camera but don't really use. Looked at the new mini Osmo but just don't know where I'd use it yet.

Everyone can compare but there is no argument that most serious drone owners will buy an Evo, you just do not get the freedom,portability and customer service with any other drone.
Interesting... good positive outlook but not accurate. The consumer sales (Evo & Mavic), DJI takes a huge market share, the ProSumer or Enterprise sales (Inspire & Matrice 200 or 600) Autel does not even compete and has zero market share. DJI owns & controls many of the variable that Autel even relies on to have production... such as the IC Chip factory & warehouses. Autel is hanging on, but so far hasn't become a threat or concern for other manufactures. The EVO is a nice craft, I like it a lot... it has a few features like no restricted NFZ that gives it worth, but professionally not too many used in any of the prosumer or enterprise fields.

Interesting... good positive outlook but not accurate. The consumer sales (Evo & Mavic), DJI takes a huge market share, the ProSumer or Enterprise sales (Inspire & Matrice 200 or 600) Autel does not even compete and has zero market share. DJI owns & controls many of the variable that Autel even relies on to have production... such as the IC Chip factor & warehouses. Autel is hanging on, but so far hasn't become a threat or concern for other manufactures. The EVO is a nice craft, I like it a lot... it has a few features like no restricted NFZ that gives it worth, but professionally not too many used in any of the prosumer or enterprise fields.
I have see pro drone pilots using the Evo before in risky areas that are very small for a phantom or inspire to take video from it.

I have see pro drone pilots using the Evo before in some videos that have risky video footages that are very small for a phantom or inspire.
As stated... they have a few nice uses, but splitting hairs... a few doesn't even hit 0.1 on the market share.
If cinema action, the Inpire 2 is needed for speed and the larger format MFT or Full 35 Camera.
Terrain mapping, need accurate stable platform with proper cameras that use 3rd Party specialty tools.
3D Modeling, or High End photo work requires a Full Frame Camera... all above the EVO design limits.

Mavic Air's are used in similar fashion... a roof inspection to fly between tree limbs & roof... small works great! Comes down to a craft they are willing to loose without concern. Mavic Airs and EVO are used in Tower Inspections for one purpose... send them up and see if EMI or Radar emissions are unsafe before you send up the $25-35K platform (platform, cameras, sensors, Thermo, etc).

On a Larger ProSumer Production scale, even the Inspire & Matrices aren't at the top but way lower cost option than other options of $25K upwards for platform only.

On the EVO's consumer market, it's a great aircraft!

I may not explained well. What I mean is that some pro drone pilots use small drones like the Evo or mavic in video shoot that it's inside of a very limited space and an inspire or phantom is kind of big and very risky to use it.

I may not explained well. What I mean is that some pro drone pilots use small drones like the Evo or mavic in video shoot that it's inside of a very limited space and an inspire or phantom is kind of big and very risky to use it.
Yep you're correct and I understood you... but my apology, I was condensing response into a smaller format and focused more on another tangent. The main focus was Pros, and the wide spectrum of sUAV professional fields that require platforms well out of the reach of a EVO & 1/2.3 sensor.

The smaller crafts are used at times, although many cinema shoots require a media size format that only Inspire2 with X7 35mm format or other crafts will provide and they won't accept the small 1/2.3 sensors. In a apartment or small area, a hand / rail gimbal are often used in place of drones. The hi-end Pros won't even consider DJI platforms, they use custom made low production quantity, extremely pricey drones that can go from a very powerfull Y-frame with 3 to 6 coaxial motors to a 12-frame with 30-60lbs RED cameras. Chatted to a on-site sUAV crew that was visiting my area of country, I inquired on the gear. They used 2 platforms, with 2 spares for each (6 total) and the platforms were above $30K each without the Cameras and Electronics. They were shooting car commercials and various product ads.

No argument, the EVO & MA have a specific use that some are utilizing.

Not to compare, but an Inspire 2 in a enclosed room... concert hall, stadium, arena perform & handle extremely well.

Reactions: macoman

Yep you're correct and I understood you... but my apology, I was condensing response into a smaller format and focused more on another tangent. The main focus was Pros, and the wide spectrum of sUAV professional fields that require platforms well out of the reach of a EVO & 1/2.3 sensor.
I'll stand corrected... a little ;)
I'll reinforce your Pro usage, I came across an example a few months ago. A pro that normally used large specialty hi-end platforms was experimenting with M2P and I think a EVO. He had a scene on a high rise apartment's itty bitty balcony and he didn't want to remake and shoot the scene low. He wanted the high altitude visual, so he used a M2P (maybe EVO) to start just inside the balcony, drift sideways past couple (main focus) and continue the side drift on couple as drone went out of balcony 20-40 feet away from building. That scene would be very scary for the actors to have an Inspire 2's props a few feet from you. Granted he could have shot it on the ground level and used gimbal rails, but would have had to combine several sections for the same production effect. His choice of small format & rescale over multiple shots.

So ya, some Pro's are finding unique uses for the small ones.

I'll stand corrected... a little ;)
I'll reinforce your Pro usage, I came across an example a few months ago. A pro that normally used large specialty hi-end platforms was experimenting with M2P and I think a EVO. He had a scene on a high rise apartment's itty bitty balcony and he didn't want to remake and shoot the scene low. He wanted the high altitude visual, so he used a M2P (maybe EVO) to start just inside the balcony, drift sideways past couple (main focus) and continue the side drift on couple as drone went out of balcony 20-40 feet away from building. That scene would be very scary for the actors to have an Inspire 2's props a few feet from you. Granted he could have shot it on the ground level and used gimbal rails, but would have had to combine several sections for the same production effect. His choice of small format & rescale over multiple shots.

So ya, some Pro's are finding unique uses for the small ones.
Did u saw the same scene as me? Are we susbcribe to the same drone pilot pro in YouTube? :)

Reactions: Dougcjohn
If you could use the 3rd party tools completely apart from the DJI app it would be one thing,

Got news for you. You can use Litchi without DJI GO. There was a time when you had to fire up go to calibrate etc.. that was way back on the Phantom series. Now Litchi works without starting go.

Got news for you. You can use Litchi without DJI GO. There was a time when you had to fire up go to calibrate etc.. that was way back on the Phantom series. Now Litchi works without starting go.
Yep, glad you 2nd that message! Post #63
None of the 3rd party need Go App except for DJI updates or FW.

Thanks for letting me know that. That might change my approach.

There is some truth to that. Most Evo users I know here have DJI products as well. Evo doesn't have the same OA and other tricks, but the fact is it works and does not hinder the professional use. 4K 60 for $1000 is awesome. If you know how to fly, you don't care about a lot of crap that DJI has. I bought an Evo and Anafi. Get really cool shots with the 180 tilt camera. I can't find 4K 60 in a foldable system even with M2P which imo has a crap lens. Others don't mind.

Most guys I know that did weddings etc that used Typhoon jumped at Evo. ANDROID device users jumped all over Evo when DJI intentionally ruined the fw and Go4 app that supported dozens of common Android tablets. They partnered with Apple, and f'd the Android community over. Autel started Android only which pissed off iOS users. Explorer app for Android just worked. No fancy crap, just works as intended even on devices that would never run late versions of Go4. Typhoons are still huge with pro guys here. They just like the additional motors and stability. The ones I've used are dead steady.

DJI even pulled the Apple routine damn near ruining the experience for Mini4 users knowing the next models were due. Pixelation or black boxes in video feed. Even I was like WTF !! So after a few weeks of Go4 being trashed for iOS and M4 users, amazingle it worked again.

Go4 for Android is still hit and miss with certain devices, but they have not trashed it as badly as they did last year for 7 months. That was a huge reason our Co went with Autel and I did as well. iOS are good, but extreme temps are not iOS friend at all. Have to have alternatives.

Am I upset I didn't get tiny planet in Explorer? No. I never use that stuff. Otoh there are apps that can stitch shots for most purposes.

Reactions: Madhungarian
There is some truth to that. Most Evo users I know here have DJI products as well. Evo doesn't have the same OA and other tricks, but the fact is it works and does not hinder the professional use. 4K 60 for $1000 is awesome. If you know how to fly, you don't care about a lot of crap that DJI has. I bought an Evo and Anafi. Get really cool shots with the 180 tilt camera. I can't find 4K 60 in a foldable system even with M2P which imo has a crap lens. Others don't mind.

Most guys I know that did weddings etc that used Typhoon jumped at Evo. ANDROID device users jumped all over Evo when DJI intentionally ruined the fw and Go4 app that supported dozens of common Android tablets. They partnered with Apple, and f'd the Android community over. Autel started Android only which pissed off iOS users. Explorer app for Android just worked. No fancy crap, just works as intended even on devices that would never run late versions of Go4. Typhoons are still huge with pro guys here. They just like the additional motors and stability. The ones I've used are dead steady.

DJI even pulled the Apple routine damn near ruining the experience for Mini4 users knowing the next models were due. Pixelation or black boxes in video feed. Even I was like WTF !! So after a few weeks of Go4 being trashed for iOS and M4 users, amazingle it worked again.

Go4 for Android is still hit and miss with certain devices, but they have not trashed it as badly as they did last year for 7 months. That was a huge reason our Co went with Autel and I did as well. iOS are good, but extreme temps are not iOS friend at all. Have to have alternatives.

Am I upset I didn't get tiny planet in Explorer? No. I never use that stuff. Otoh there are apps that can stitch shots for most purposes.
The EVO is a great little craft... for a small sensor it's probably one of the better ones.
In comparison to larger sensors or larger cameras, doesn't compare. The H480 is a nice craft, but it's CGO camera is also same size sensor. If you're meaning the Typhoon H PLUS... it's actually the H520 platform, slightly different electronics and using a C23 (E90 camera) that has a larger sensor. I will agree, the Hex is quite and smooth... the EVO isn't a quite craft, not ideal for several projects. The Yuneec products lack 3rd party support, and to many that's a major disadvantage... others, it's not a problem.

On the Android vs iOS... that was discussed either above or other thread... but it's normally not the software, it's the Android hardware, and limitations on upper end and not average hardware. The Apple tablet does good because it's hardware is upper end and the iOS software is specifically made for the hardware. Android's biggest problem is it's open architecture, it doesn't limit the crap or low quality hardware. Great for low prices and various apps... but often bad for other hardware.

As far as Hardware & apps... I use both Android & iOS on my DJI platforms with no issues. My Tablets are iPad Pro 10" and Samsung Tab S4, both similar in quality and performance. I use several 3rd party programs focused toward DJI platform and several are only made for Android since most European developers focus on Android and these apps are more processor intensive than DJI GO Apps (3 or 4). Extreme Heat or Cold effects most tablets... again, the upper end effected less... the iPad Pro endures hot sunny days better than an iPad Air, and the Tab S4 endures well too.

The DJI CrystalSky hardware is Android and all DJI apps perform very well on it. It's only major negative is that's a closed Android platform, preventing several other apps from being loaded.

The X5Raw or X5S are pretty hard to beat in quality, color, EV range, etc and a much larger MFT Sensor with multiple lens options.

You mentioned the Anafi, I personally think that is a superb ultra small, quiet platform with a nice camera. I'm considering the Anafi Thermo as a small close range platform.

They all have their strengths, the EVO has it's strengths but it won't replace any of my DJI or Yuneec platforms from small to large. One of EVO 'current' strengths is no NFZ limitations... and a nice camera.
If Autonomous Programs are needed, the DJI platforms have more 3rd party developers than any other brand currently... that may be a factor for many, as myself.

Agree the EVO is a great platform, but sadly I don't think we'll see a whole lot of new development or at a competitive pace from Autel.

Reactions: MTPro
The EVO is a great little craft... for a small sensor it's probably one of the better ones.
In comparison to larger sensors or larger cameras, doesn't compare. The H480 is a nice craft, but it's CGO camera is also same size sensor. If you're meaning the Typhoon H PLUS... it's actually the H520 platform, slightly different electronics and using a C23 (E90 camera) that has a larger sensor. I will agree, the Hex is quite and smooth... the EVO isn't a quite craft, not ideal for several projects. The Yuneec products lack 3rd party support, and to many that's a major disadvantage... others, it's not a problem.

On the Android vs iOS... that was discussed either above or other thread... but it's normally not the software, it's the Android hardware, and limitations on upper end and not average hardware. The Apple tablet does good because it's hardware is upper end and the iOS software is specifically made for the hardware. Android's biggest problem is it's open architecture, it doesn't limit the crap or low quality hardware. Great for low prices and various apps... but often bad for other hardware.

As far as Hardware & apps... I use both Android & iOS on my DJI platforms with no issues. My Tablets are iPad Pro 10" and Samsung Tab S4, both similar in quality and performance. I use several 3rd party programs focused toward DJI platform and several are only made for Android since most European developers focus on Android and these apps are more processor intensive than DJI GO Apps (3 or 4). Extreme Heat or Cold effects most tablets... again, the upper end effected less... the iPad Pro endures hot sunny days better than an iPad Air, and the Tab S4 endures well too.

The DJI CrystalSky hardware is Android and all DJI apps perform very well on it. It's only major negative is that's a closed Android platform, preventing several other apps from being loaded.

The X5Raw or X5S are pretty hard to beat in quality, color, EV range, etc and a much larger MFT Sensor with multiple lens options.

You mentioned the Anafi, I personally think that is a superb ultra small, quiet platform with a nice camera. I'm considering the Anafi Thermo as a small close range platform.

They all have their strengths, the EVO has it's strengths but it won't replace any of my DJI or Yuneec platforms from small to large. One of EVO 'current' strengths is no NFZ limitations... and a nice camera.
If Autonomous Programs are needed, the DJI platforms have more 3rd party developers than any other brand currently... that may be a factor for many, as myself.

Agree the EVO is a great platform, but sadly I don't think we'll see a whole lot of new development or at a competitive pace from Autel.
We use the same tablets. IPP, and Sam Tab S4. For those hot days we flew last year our IPP's shut down in less than a min of the sun baking them. One would not even turn on. S4's worked the entire session. 98 deg. Surprised us all. Similar this winter with sub freezing temps in NE Oh and MI. I'm sure results vary, but it was nice to have the option. We considered trying a CS but didn't want to spend for something as untested. Our next accessory will probably be the Live Deck. I think that should work with the newer Feelworld 2000 nits monitors via hdmi. Good option better than just tablets when you have clients peering over your shoulder.

Autel did something with the limited sensor. Same used in many birds and dslr's, but it looks really good on the Autel. Hats off to them for that. To get 4K 60 as clean is amazing, and low light is twice as good as MP. Probably was better they did not have tap to focus on this. One of the bigger issues with MP was focus hunting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Madhungarian
We use the same tablets. IPP, and Sam Tab S4. For those hot days we flew last year our IPP's shut down in less than a min of the sun baking them. One would not even turn on. S4's worked the entire session. 98 deg. Surprised us all. Similar this winter with sub freezing temps in NE Oh and MI. I'm sure results vary, but it was nice to have the option. We considered trying a CS but didn't want to spend for something as untested. Our next accessory will probably be the Live Deck. I think that should work with the newer Feelworld 2000 nits monitors via hdmi. Good option better than just tablets when you have clients peering over your shoulder.

Autel did something with the limited sensor. Same used in many birds and dslr's, but it looks really good on the Autel. Hats off to them for that. To get 4K 60 as clean is amazing, and low light is twice as good as MP. Probably was better they did not have tap to focus on this. One of the bigger issues with MP was focus hunting.
I hear ya on the heat or cold... Des Moines, IA area. I personally think it's more humidity heat & Direct Sun Heat than temp of day. I've used the Hoodman's Hoods to keep sun off and to provide a complete bright screen view on bright days... on same high temp days, with Hoodman found no problems. The cold, the Tab S4 endures a little longer before it acts up... both have issues in below zero (F) temps... so do my fingers! The Hoodman provide an excellent bright screen, but they do require you to look into the snorkel... that's technically a No-No without VO.

Have CS Ultra, first one lasted a few hours and cooked with black screen death... known back Ultra motherboard issue in early units. DJI repaired/replaced for free with updated motherboard and it's been great in heat since... but Fans Never shut off, constantly running if high 80's or above. The the Ultra is a great screen for bright days!

As mentioned, the CS are closed Android... so it's basially DJI apps or Litchi. You can't use the Google Playstore, but you can Install the Amazon Android App Store, and it has a Litchi and a few others. But Drone Harmony and UgCS have to be side-door loaded and they work but generate a few startup Android errors that both companies indicate to ignore. I already owned Litchi for both iOS & Android, but had to Re-Purchase on Amazon App Store for CS, contacted Litchi and they indicated wasn't a work around, required separate purchases since Amazon Apps don't sync with Google Store apps.

For the Autel EVO... did you get the Tablet mount by LiftThor? I was looking at that, but considered getting it with the CS mount so I could use my other tablet mounts.

LiftThor for CS OEM mount

Conversion Mount to hold CS or Tablet Mount on Standard RC's

CS Tablet Holder mount

Tablet Extension

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials