Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Do you regret buying an Autel and think you should have bought MP2?

We bought a couple EVOs for the company. We had initially purchased M2P's but the lens issues DJI claimed normal and other issues had us return them. That was nearly 4 grand for a pair of M2P FMC's. We already had 2 P4P's, MP's as well. Was unsure the Evo would do as well as it has. It is our go to drone. The app is solid, the aircraft is well made and performs nicely. The camera is comparable if not better than the P4P. Video quality to me is better than the M2P's we had which we had to really work more to get a natural appearance. Great if you prefer exaggerated contrast and color.

I also purchased my own Evo after flying the ones at work. DJI locks out a lot of areas we need to fly. Many times rural and nothing near a NFZ but some airport is marked anyway. We used to wait hours for an approval code. Now we just put the Evo up, do the job, and get out. You can fly with oru without a tablet or phone. I like that!! See something you want to quickly shoot, it's faster with Evo than most drones I have flown. Connectivity on Evo is also very good and stable. I've had many flights I thought I'd get disconnected, and it never did. Like other drone users, I'm sure results vary there too.

I am not biased when it comes to drones. I use many of them. Anafi, MP, P4P, Spark, Evo, Hubsan, Syma, and other home made sport quads. What sets the Evo apart for me are a few things. The quality in video, ease of flight, (super fast to get in the air) app that works without issues after issues (cough Go4 sucks cough). Build quality is what I expect at each price level. IOW, for $899 Evo I don't expect build quality of one brand of drone to another brand $500 or more in price. That's just being crazy. That said, Evo shocks me with it's build quality and overall stabilization.

Meh to OA. I never use it. I find it a hindrance on any flight. I also don't fly around trees and cross my fingers that OA will work. I scout the area I fly for problems and avoid those problems. My camera work is almost always manual and custom settings, so I care less about auto modes, AWB etc, again that gets in the way more than it does help, especially with changing daylight, partly cloudy days where the sun peaks in and out. Manual mode for me.

Evo has a more impressive wider FOV and the focus all around is great. The 4K60 is super smooth. One drawback is in a few months you can fill an 4TB external drive when shooting at that spec. Good thing Ext drives are cheaper and now 3.0 or faster.

Coming from DJI or Anafi or Typhoon, the Evo sticks are different. You have to finesse them a bit more than others, but that can be a good thing. I know guys that fly DJI is hyper EXP modes that really have a tough time transitioning. It's muscle memory, and you will adapt.
Agree on several areas, question a few... maybe more apparent in performing post image work. I’ve not owned a P4P, but own several larger MFT & FF sensor drones. You indicate the EVO’s camera is comparable if not better than a P4P. The P4P is not only a larger sensor but also a global shutter which is superior for GEO & Terrain Mapping purposes. The smaller EVO sensor and shutter design don’t provide the same quality simply by design limitations.

I’m not overly familiar with the EVO yet, I mainly purchased for 2 primary reasons, a few minor other reasons. The absence of geo fencing NFZ and a very nice package price were incentive to purchase. It’s a great little compact craft that has it’s advantages, although other platforms continue to have theirs too.

You make some great points I hadn’t really focused on the EVO features and agree these are nice assets or differences to other platforms.

Glad to have the EVO in my inventory and hope Autel continues to improve the software and brings out additional cameras or models.

Reactions: MTPro and mamanes
Why in the hell would you ask a stupid question like that on an Autel website? Go play with your MP2, we like our Autel products!! :)

This isn't the first time with helmet man..he doesn't GET IT

I had a totally unwarranted run in with him a week ago

There was a post with 2 women and an old Corvette...i made a comment about the girls (having distracted me from the business at hand) and he mentioned that i should stop thinking with my ***** or something along those lines...totally off the wall and unacceptable and he just doesn't seem to get it

I commented on a picture 2 women in a picture that someone posted
Hahah! Apparently, you love your Evo.

I tend to develop brand loyalty when a company has an amazing product plus amazing support.

This is Autel Pilots

we discuss anything and everything EVO

and the support IS amazing

sadly i had a crash (by my failure to spread the Antennae before flight) and had to send it to be repaired

total communication daily..all questions answered swiftly...(PAID Shipping and RETURN by Fed Ex)

many Phone calls...patience...informative...so very well handled

I am sure that i will get satisfaction at a fair price and i would buy Evo again...if and when it was needed

That's an interesting question. I would say you will find the answer to be a resounding no.. You are on an Autel page. I just picked up an EVO for $650 with an extra battery. After the X-star BS I said I would never buy again from Autel. I went back and forth on Mavic 2 Pro and Evo. Bought a new M2P w /SmartController $$$ and then found a deal on a used EVO. Couldn't pass it up. I won't comment on the Mavic, there is another page for that but I feel I have the best of both worlds. A primary and a secondary. I use one for my PRO work, take more chances with the EVO it's simple and just works. Replacing an EVO is relatively cheap.

WHERE did you get that deal > ? THAT is the best of ALL that i heard of

I think if I end up flying commercially I'll have to get a DJI because of their 3rd party app support, like mapping.

Yes I regret purchasing my EVO. I may be in the minority here but I love flying autonomous waypoint missions. The Evo's app (Autel Explorer)for waypoint missions is sorely lacking. I have a Bepop 2 Power, the App (FreeFlight Pro) is way more advanced. I would not buy a DJI product either. I would purchase a Parrot Anafi.
My Evo is for sale!

Don't let your posts get out of hand. We talk about a lot of things on the forum. People have many interests. As for this post it should have been posted in the Pilots Off Topic section where it is going now. If I see any bashing of members just because their opinion differs from yours this topic will be closed.
Now carry one and enjoy what ever you fly.

I am not into a specific brand. I have DJI drones too but also love my Evo. I usually buy drones that I find it interesting and better, not matter the brand.
Couldn't agree more!
Every platform I have... last check about 10 different models across 4 brands all perform a little differently or provide a unique specialty or feature.

Reactions: macoman

There was a post with 2 women and an old Corvette...i made a comment about the girls (having distracted me from the business at hand) and he mentioned that i should stop thinking with my ***** or something along those lines...totally off the wall and unacceptable and he just doesn't seem to get it

LOL... I enjoy working, love to build & fly sUAV's... and I still enjoy "Eye Candy"!!

Reactions: swings16
I already owned an M2P when I bought my EVO. Needed a portable Mavic-like back up bird to my P4P for 4K 60fps that would fly anywhere (M2 can't do 60fps in 4K). They complement each other. If you are a serious amateur or professional, you'll want both. I prefer the Zoom camera on the M2 for the zoom flexibility, and bought one that I put on the M2P instead. It's a game changer. Digital zoom on the EVO in 4K 60fps is helpful, but lack of a scroll wheel prevents it from being used as a smooth zoom (it's an awkward stepped zoom), and it does not compress the depth of field like a true optical zoom. EVO camera has an incredible dynamic range rivaling the M2P. Each has their place in the tool box.

I need both. Geo-fencing is the biggest difference for me. This is where Evo rocks but A good back-up is MP2

Reactions: G_G

I appreciate everyone taking their time sharing perspectives on their EVO purchasing remorsefulness. The majority obviously is FOR the EVO, and I certainly hope that Autel is listening to this thread. We are all voicing our opinions and while there are opportunities, Autel can benefit from our voices and stay ahead of their level of 'Customer Satisfaction' compared with DJI or other brands on the market today!

swings16,

I hope you and Orange Crush resolved your issues... :);)

I appreciate everyone taking their time sharing perspectives on their EVO purchasing remorsefulness. The majority obviously is FOR the EVO, and I certainly hope that Autel is listening to this thread. We are all voicing our opinions and while there are opportunities, Autel can benefit from our voices and stay ahead of their level of 'Customer Satisfaction' compared with DJI or other brands on the market today!
This all sounds like deja-vu lol. :(

I do not regret buying my Evo even a little bit, even though I have just purchased a M2P. The Evo has been a rock solid flyer and performer for me. I have very few gripes about the bird and controller, but wished a year in, that Autel would have stepped up by now with some serious firmware advancements. I am passing my Evo on to my 27 year old son, as I feel the M2P will better suit my needs going forward. I appreciate Autel's customer service and dread that of DJI, which is why I will call "Jake" from State Farm and insure my new $2,400 M2P smart controller bundle out the wazoo. Will I regret this decision? Perhaps I will...But if that's the case, I will sell my M2P and buy the next generation of the Evo without hesitation.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigmaxsg