Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Beware V2 2.3.8 Firmware - Polygonal Missions

reynolds8126

Reaction score
Beware the V2 2.3.8 firmware release. I upgraded to 2.3.8 a few weeks ago. I use the Evo II Pro with RTK for mapping. The issues I am experiencing with the new firmware include the following:
  1. Neither the rinex file nor the timestamp.mrk file is generated when using the RTK module.
  2. Prior to this update, each individual flight saved the pictures in a unique FTask folder. Now, all images seem to save in the same FTask folder.
  3. I am experiencing several "Failed to Upload Mission" messages when attempting to upload a polygonal mission.
  4. I lose RTK NTRIP connection with every power cycle of the EVO (battery change). I have to re-enter the RTK menu in the Smartcontroller to re-establish the RTK connection. I don't recall having to do this with the prior release.
Autel acknowledges issues 1 and 2 above and have forwarded the issues to their R&D team for a patch.

Version 2.3.8 did correct the elevation optimization issue from the previous release. Also, 2.3.8 fixes the issue where the Smartcontroller loses connection with the Evo when plugged into a power source via USB-C cable.

Version 2.3.8 did correct the elevation optimization issue from the previous release. Also, 2.3.8 fixes the issue where the Smartcontroller loses connection with the Evo when plugged into a power source via USB-C cable.
I'm aware of the issues with 2.3.8 but am interested in the problem with the elevation optimization. What was that? Also, good to know they are on to fixing the simultaneous charging / flying issue.

In my experience, the initial firmware version that introduced the elevation optimization feature did not collect any photographs.

When we attempted to use the elevation optimization, the flight plan created a vector from the end of the mission to a point in the center of the polygonal mission footprint. When the Evo reached the and point of the mission, the gimbal turned up from a Nadir orientation to an oblique angle and the Evo began traveling along the vector toward the center of the mission footprint. The Evo did not record any additional photographs while flying along this vector.

With the release of 2.3.8, the Evo takes a series of photographs while flying the elevation optimization vector.

Interesting, I see on release notes where it was added, but no explanation for what it's supposed to accomplish. So, the craft is supposed to collect oblique images as it flies from the last waypoint to the center of the mission. And, those images added to processing, is supposed to make an accuracy difference? That is a strange approach. Most software that have a similar feature have the craft fly around the perimeter pointing to the center capturing oblique images. It the latter case, the entire area is captured with oblique images. In Autel's implementation you get a dissecting path of images?

Beware the V2 2.3.8 firmware release. I upgraded to 2.3.8 a few weeks ago. I use the Evo II Pro with RTK for mapping. The issues I am experiencing with the new firmware include the following:
  1. Neither the rinex file nor the timestamp.mrk file is generated when using the RTK module.
  2. Prior to this update, each individual flight saved the pictures in a unique FTask folder. Now, all images seem to save in the same FTask folder.
  3. I am experiencing several "Failed to Upload Mission" messages when attempting to upload a polygonal mission.
  4. I lose RTK NTRIP connection with every power cycle of the EVO (battery change). I have to re-enter the RTK menu in the Smartcontroller to re-establish the RTK connection. I don't recall having to do this with the prior release.
Autel acknowledges issues 1 and 2 above and have forwarded the issues to their R&D team for a patch.

After updating to 2.3.8, I had lot of issues with my Enterprise, so I downgrade to 2.2.5. I just hope that Autel won’t forget to keep supporting the Evo 2s/ enterprise because lately I just hear nano+ and lite+ and nothing else.

Reactions: Malli35998
@Dave Pitman I too was surprised by Autel's elevation optimization solution. When I originally selected that option on a waypoint flight and saw the added vector, I expected tie Evo to rotate 360 degrees at the center of the mission footprint, taking a series of oblique images. I don't use this option now as I suspect the benefit is minimal.

@Dave Pitman I too was surprised by Autel's elevation optimization solution. When I originally selected that option on a waypoint flight and saw the added vector, I expected tie Evo to rotate 360 degrees at the center of the mission footprint, taking a series of oblique images. I don't use this option now as I suspect the benefit is minimal.
I have done a little research on "elevation optimization" and it looks like this particular strategy came from the P4RTK. It has had that option for several years. It's purpose is to allow the processing software to better determine the elevation. Even with no GCPs, an RTK or PPK solution does a great job with horizontal accuracy but is a little further off in vertical. The line of oblique images seems to allow the processor to obtain vertical accuracy similar to the horizontal. And similar to if you had included at least 1 GCP. I have not yet tested it myself. But I did see another's test where it was in fact effective while only taking a little longer than a typical single grid pattern flight.

In summary, if the option gets fixed, I would recommend giving it a try. You can then process your image set with and without the added oblique images and see if they help or not. That's what I intend to do.

Reactions: agrofactory
I may do that. We set several GCPs with every flight, using most as check points. Being a Surveyor, verification of my data is critical.

In fact, I did previously map a site with this optimization procedure. I plan to go back and review my processing report and possibly reprocess, paying close attention to the vertical accuracy.

Reactions: yarrr
Hello it appears that firmware version 2.3.13 has been released for evo 2 Enterprise with smart controller and app. 1.0.82 for smart controller v2. I know there is a download link

Reactions: edgardcafe
Yes I know. È una versione beta, l'assistenza italiana di Autel la sta testando e dovrebbe eliminare tutti i problemi della 2.3.8. Se riesco a riceverlo, te lo mando

Reactions: edgardcafe
Yes I know. È una versione beta, l'assistenza italiana di Autel la sta testando e dovrebbe eliminare tutti i problemi della 2.3.8. Se riesco a riceverlo, te lo mando
Davvero! È una buona notizia anche penso di aspettare prima di attualizzare perché sempre ci sono tanti bugs ! Grazie mille per la informazione

I also would love to get that beta firmware because since I need the rinex files that 2.3.8 FW is not providing, I've downgraded to 2.2.5 and I've ended up with the gimbal issue described here🤦‍♂️. Gimbal went super hot.

Thanks.

Attachments

• MIX_0394.JPG
    MIX_0394.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 9
I also would love to get that beta firmware because since I need the rinex files that 2.3.8 FW is not providing, I've downgraded to 2.2.5 and I've ended up with the gimbal issue described here🤦‍♂️. Gimbal went super hot.

Thanks.
Are you processing via PPK or RTK? If you are using RTK and only need the geolocation information (Lat, Long, Ellipsoid Ht, Orthometric Ht), I have found a utility that extracts the geolocation data from the images' metadata and writes out a single .csv.

Reactions: agrofactory
Are you processing via PPK or RTK? If you are using RTK and only need the geolocation information (Lat, Long, Ellipsoid Ht, Orthometric Ht), I have found a utility that extracts the geolocation data from the images' metadata and writes out a single .csv.

I'm currently carrying out some flights to test the accuracy I get following both methods. Would be nice to test that utility you're commenting. Thanks.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58