Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Autel Evo Smart Controller Antennas - What's inside?

• Thread starter Deleted member 8818
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 8818

Autel Smart Controller Stock Antenna

What's inside?

Here I compare the stock Autel Smart Controller antenna with a potential upgrade available on Amazon.

Pictures show the stock antenna (White PCB) both sides and the upgrade antenna from Amazon (Yellow PCB) both sides. Both antennas appear to have seperate radiating elements for both the 2.4ghz and 5.8ghz bands.

You can clearly see the size of the radiating elements. I think it's clear which one will transmit and receive better.

My testing for me has proven this out. The Amazon antenna increases transmission strength and range.

Signal strength differnece as seen on the Smart Controller signal strength meter is an increase in the 2.4ghz band from -110 to -90 and in the 5.8ghz band from -110 to -100.

Amazon Anetnna: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CH27HVH/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2X7IHOFTAZ9BA&psc=1

20211021_094331.jpg

20211021_094414.jpg

20211021_094638.jpg

Here's what the Amazon antenna looks like on the Smart Controller

20211019_173301.jpg

20211019_173105.jpg

20211019_173125.jpg

20211019_173203.jpg

20211019_173040.jpg

Hope this helps.

- Hal

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing this. If it's not too early to say, I'm curious to hear your thoughts on how much improvement you're seeing so far with range and signal strength.

Thanks for sharing this. If it's not too early to say, I'm curious to hear your thoughts on how much improvement you're seeing so far with range and signal strength.
Signal, strength is noted in the original post. added 20db in 2.4ghz and 10db in 5.8ghz based on the SC signal meter.

I'd say it added between 50% and 100% range over stock. I've only been able to test in a high interferance area... I'll know more when I can get out to a less radio polluted area.

Reactions: SARty
Signal, strength is noted in the original post. added 20db in 2.4ghz and 10db in 5.8ghz based on the SC signal meter.

Thanks. Sorry, didn't mean in terms of how it measures, but in terms of the quality of the signal in use and if you had more bars when flying around interference and obstructions. I saw your other posts now too. I appreciate what all you guys are doing to help everyone have the best possible setup. A 50-100% improvement is huge, especially from such an inexpensive mod!

Reactions: edgardcafe
Thanks. Sorry, didn't mean in terms of how it measures, but in terms of the quality of the signal in use and if you had more bars when flying around interference and obstructions. I saw your other posts now too. I appreciate what all you guys are doing to help everyone have the best possible setup. A 50-100% improvement is huge, especially from such an inexpensive mod!
Ah right,
So with interferance it helps nicely, with obstructions it really depends. Trees, somewhat. Buildings, not much, Hills and rock and such... very little if any.

I think beyond the size of the antenna radiating surface its also build quality. The stock antennas are super sketchy compared with the upgrade ones.
And yea, it's a super cheap way to improve signal.

Video quality is improved as well (as it would be with the signal clarity and strength.

Another thing to consider is the actual radiation pattern of the antenna... normal horizontal polarity antennas radiate in a donut pattern horizontally perpendicular their length and small spikes along their length... these antennas are no different (either of them). Which is were Autel comes up with "Adjust" for antenna strenght... they expect you to understand what kind of antenna it is and how it works.

A better way would be to explain what I have here an show a diagram about how their antennas are designed to work and the optimal way to use them... though with "omnidirectional" antennas like this with VLOS flying in an open and low interferance area, it doen't really make a lot of difference...

The real advantage comes when other factors come into play that reduce antenna effectiveness.... so it really depends where and how you're flying.

My bottom line is to have the strongest signal in all situations, just in case I need it.

Wow
Ah right,
So with interferance it helps nicely, with obstructions it really depends. Trees, somewhat. Buildings, not much, Hills and rock and such... very little if any.

I think beyond the size of the antenna radiating surface its also build quality. The stock antennas are super sketchy compared with the upgrade ones.
And yea, it's a super cheap way to improve signal.

Video quality is improved as well (as it would be with the signal clarity and strength.

Another thing to consider is the actual radiation pattern of the antenna... normal horizontal polarity antennas radiate in a donut pattern horizontally perpendicular their length and small spikes along their length... these antennas are no different (either of them). Which is were Autel comes up with "Adjust" for antenna strenght... they expect you to understand what kind of antenna it is and how it works.

A better way would be to explain what I have here an show a diagram about how their antennas are designed to work and the optimal way to use them... though with "omnidirectional" antennas like this with VLOS flying in an open and low interferance area, it doen't really make a lot of difference...

The real advantage comes when other factors come into play that reduce antenna effectiveness.... so it really depends where and how you're flying.

My bottom line is to have the strongest signal in all situations, just in case I need
Thank you so much to explain with details. I already bought the antenna and it delivered today. I’m going to install it and test.
Again, thanks for your post! 👍😎

Reactions: SARty
Maybe it is a dumb question but what does it mean high resolution or smooth on image transmission, Which one should I choose?

Attachments

• 5FDDF819-B09C-4A90-86AB-8F640944B214.jpeg
    5FDDF819-B09C-4A90-86AB-8F640944B214.jpeg
    672.9 KB · Views: 17
Maybe it is a dumb question but what does it mean high resolution or smooth on image transmission, Which one should I choose?
High resolution uses a higher bitrate and higher quality for the live video. But using it may introduce more blotchyness and breakup. Smooth uses less bitrate, a lower quality video but less breakup. Try them both and decide.

High resolution uses a higher bitrate and higher quality for the live video. But using it may introduce more blotchyness and breakup. Smooth uses less bitrate, a lower quality video but less breakup. Try them both and decide.
Thank you so much for your explanation! I appreciate it 😎

Today, I have tried the new antenna at the same place that I had poor signal, so I didn’t see any differences. Tomorrow, I’ll do more test.

Last edited:
have you guys tried those antennas for the Smart controller ? I’m thinking to try it, what do you guys think, will it work ?

Attachments

• 1F64E63E-928E-4618-A898-1CE6C0982E2F.png
    1F64E63E-928E-4618-A898-1CE6C0982E2F.png
    606 KB · Views: 19
Today, I have tried the new antenna at the same place that I had poor signal, so I didn’t see any differences. Tomorrow, I’ll do more test.
I even added an amped external antenna setup to the V1 version of the SC. No joy! Same crappy range either way, less than a mile. The advertised 8 mile range is pure fiction! I returned mine!

• Wow
have you guys tried those antennas for the Smart controller ? I’m thinking to try it, what do you guys think, will it work ?
Haven’t tired these yet, but did try the recent recommended antennas this past weekend and they had less signal strength over stock antennas.

Stock antennas are better, going forward leaving stock antennas on.

Reactions: G_G and edgardcafe
Haven’t tired these yet, but did try the recent recommended antennas this past weekend and they had less signal strength over stock antennas.

Stock antennas are better, going forward leaving stock antennas on.
I’ll do the same. The place where I live I don’t have good signal, but last week I went to the beach, and I had excellent signal and reached 11 k feet away and I could go farther because the transmission was still good, but I RTH. Well, We just need to find a good spot. 😎

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
To revive this thread a bit, even though I completely saw the logic of the Amazon antennas, and being a bit of a hot-rodder myself, grabbed a set at the time. I wasn't seeing much difference, in either range or video signal - until... da da da DAAAAAHHH. Out about 2500 feet I got a disconnect, this under "normal" conditions. I don't recall if I was in Auto (Dual), 2.4, or 5.8 (this is a Dual Band V2 E2P/V2 Smart Controller) -but it never reconnected, and took a good 5-6 highly stressed minutes to see the Great Pumpkin riding on $ alone, untethered, yet knowing where home is. I almost hugged him, but thought better of it, being in a tee-shirt and all.

Could have been any number of things, but it wasn't fun, and never occurred before or after on the stock antennas, I put them away and haven't used them again.

Best guess? When I first got the V2 Smart Controller, and would switch from 2.4 default (default is now 5.8) I would get disconnects for a few seconds. I suspect I was in Auto, a band switch occurred and the drone, Controller or both had a handshake failure. Looking back with more experience, today I would probably try manually switching bands manually. It's not like I have much else to do in a similar situation, other than work on my dance moves - and there isn't enough time in the world to help that.

To revive this thread a bit, even though I completely saw the logic of the Amazon antennas, and being a bit of a hot-rodder myself, grabbed a set at the time. I wasn't seeing much difference, in either range or video signal - until... da da da DAAAAAHHH. Out about 2500 feet I got a disconnect, this under "normal" conditions. I don't recall if I was in Auto (Dual), 2.4, or 5.8 (this is a Dual Band V2 E2P/V2 Smart Controller) -but it never reconnected, and took a good 5-6 highly stressed minutes to see the Great Pumpkin riding on $ alone, untethered, yet knowing where home is. I almost hugged him, but thought better of it, being in a tee-shirt and all.

Could have been any number of things, but it wasn't fun, and never occurred before or after on the stock antennas, I put them away and haven't used them again.

Best guess? When I first got the V2 Smart Controller, and would switch from 2.4 default (default is now 5.8) I would get disconnects for a few seconds. I suspect I was in Auto, a band switch occurred and the drone, Controller or both had a handshake failure. Looking back with more experience, today I would probably try manually switching bands manually. It's not like I have much else to do in a similar situation, other than work on my dance moves - and there isn't enough time in the world to help that.
I'd say it's un-related to the antenna's and more likely related on one of the firmware updates, environmental conditions, or something else.

All the antenna's do is radiate the signal and recieve it, they either work or they don't. Still... it's your bird and your risk. Do what you think is safest.

The band switching issue is something that's been around for a bit... 5,8ghz is shorter range than. 2.4ghz. It's there to provide an option if the 2.4ghz band is saturated... but it's not the best band for distance.

I'm an amature so take what I'm saying as such.

- Hal

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo