Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Autel Evo II Pro Jumping out of Focus Mid Video

ceemeebee23

Reaction score
I'm a new owner of an Autel Evo II Pro, and I love it. However, in the last month or so we've been noticing that the video will completely jump focus in the middle of the video. And unfortunately, we don't really notice it until we are back at the studio and view the footage on a computer. We are using Auto Focus, and we aren't touching the screen or pressing any buttons when this happens. We've tested it a few times, and it happens randomly but it occurs almost every time we shoot. Does anyone know what could be going on? We sent the Autel drone in for repairs, and they said there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. I would really appreciate any help or advice you could give. Thanks!

Attachments

• Autel AF Issue_1.jpg
    Autel AF Issue_1.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 18
  • Autel AF Issue_2.jpg
    Autel AF Issue_2.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 17
Does your work involve tracking fast moving objects? If not, I do not think AF does anything for general aerial video. Have you tried disabling AF to see if the issue persists?

This thread seems to go into the issue more extensively...

Evo II Manual Focus Bug

Last edited:
I'm not tracking anything fast-moving. Usually I'm just moving slowly over a resort or piece of architecture I'm featuring. It will be in focus one minute, but jump out of focus in the middle of filming. I can't attach videos, so I've attached a screenshot of a video file I took last weekend. You can see how it jumps focus in a matter of a second.

I've tried using manual focus, but I would love to understand why it's malfunctioning like this. For this reason alone, it's worth going back to DJI. Have you see this before?

Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    595.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 8
I am reading through threads to see what new info I might find. Did you ever resolve the focus issue that was illustrated here? I haven't experienced it, and the only parameter I was thinking about was ROI, which I understand as a concept, but like many things in Autel land, I have little to no technical data, instruction on it's use or if it is even relevant to the 6K camera. I am currious if you got any resolution (pun semi-intentional) to your issue. If Autel wrote the hardware off as "working as designed" then logically it seem to be a software failure or glitch,

Hi,
Try the following: In Manual Focus put it on focus close to "flower"....see if is focusing far away (use Focus Assist)....If it does, your servo from camera is screwed...is a common problem for this cameras, you use it and at one point you see like the focus is "reseting" to nowhere... The Manual focus - macro - will show you if the camera is damaged.
In this cases Autel will change camera, just be sure you explain them all with video posted and all thing.
If camera is working OK in Manual (you have focus on "far away" somewhere at 40-45), try following:
1. Try to set AF - blocked on screen and see if is "reseting" it even so...if it does, you have a camera HW failure = send to Autel. If not:
2. Rewrite firmware - try Beta, copy on SD card and start drone with SD inserted.
3. Recalibrate in following order: IMU -> Compass -> Gimbal.
4. Re-check the focus.
Cheers.

I am having the same problem. This is a new problem for me. Downloaded new firmware but no help.
Joe

UPDATE: After sending it in for repairs once and it being returned with no problems found. We sent it in a second time after continuing to have the same focusing problems, and they found an issue with the camera itself. With the second return, we sent in about 30 images/video clips that clearly showed the problem and they replaced the gimbal/camera for free and now it’s working perfectly. Such a hassle though!

Here is a short video of the issue that I'm having. After a short time of flying , the camera goes out of focus.

Ok. I will contact Autel and see if they can resolve this with a repair.

UPDATE: I contacted Autel and they had me fill out an RMA form. Once I completed the form. They responded and said to send drone in (under warranty). After receiving the drone and conducting a test flight, they said they could not duplicate the issue. They also attached $65 charge for calibrating the gimbal and camera. I explained to Ivan at that I had calibrated the camera.and gumball on numerous occasion and recently on a firmware update.

Autel still has my drone and wants payment prior to returning the drone. They claim that the drone is out of warranty and not waive the charges. I did attach a receipt to the RMA and they should have disclaimed this information prior to me sending the drone in. I have been going back-and-forth via email with Evan and I did explain to him how unhappy I was, especially after just purchasing a Nano Plus. Im probaly going to be done with Autel and will convert over to DJI..My drone is only 15 months old and I have shared this info with Autel on several occasions.

Shame on Autel for charging me for a defective unit.

By the way, there were several phone calls made to Autel during the one year warranty period about the camera and I was told to try several things such as recalibrating the gimbal, resetting the camera and try replace SD card. All without revolving the issue.

UPDATE: I contacted Autel and they had me fill out an RMA form. Once I completed the form. They responded and said to send drone in (under warranty). After receiving the drone and conducting a test flight, they said they could not duplicate the issue. They also attached $65 charge for calibrating the gimbal and camera. I explained to Ivan at that I had calibrated the camera.and gumball on numerous occasion and recently on a firmware update.

Autel still has my drone and wants payment prior to returning the drone. They claim that the drone is out of warranty and not waive the charges. I did attach a receipt to the RMA and they should have disclaimed this information prior to me sending the drone in. I have been going back-and-forth via email with Evan and I did explain to him how unhappy I was, especially after just purchasing a Nano Plus. Im probaly going to be done with Autel and will convert over to DJI..My drone is only 15 months old and I have shared this info with Autel on several occasions.

Shame on Autel for charging me for a defective unit.

By the way, there were several phone calls made to Autel during the one year warranty period about the camera and I was told to try several things such as recalibrating the gimbal, resetting the camera and try replace SD card. All without revolving the issue.
Contact Ken Booth on FB and explain the malfunction if you are in USA.
Is a well known problem with camera and auto-focus on some (not many) units...
If you were in Auto Focus in that video, this can be replicated.

I will.contact Ken this morning. Hopefully he can assist me and point me in the right direction.. I appreciate the information.

UPDATE. I contacted Autel and was asked if I wanted to speak with a Suervisor regarding this matter. Of course I said YES. I have since followed up with several emails and phone calls and I've heard nothing but ccricket from Autel. At this point I just want my drone back.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials