Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

4k editing

Get a macpro 2010 or 2012. They support the latest generation of amd Radeon cards plus you can upgrade the processors easily. I can run final cut pro, 4k, 60fps with no issues.

Currently using Premiere Elements to edit, but it's severely laggy. To do any precise editing would be impossible. Plus, it doesn't handle luts, which I want to play around with.
So, I'm trying to decide between DaVinci Resolve and Filmora9. Both of them recommend using an SSD. Resolve seems more advanced, and Filmora seems more user-friendly. And I'm beginning to realize that software and hardware is just part of video editing. There's also a good deal of personal talent (and experience) required. Not only for artistic choices, but also to recognize what is needed to improve the quality of a video.

IMHO Filmora 8 is more user friendly than 9. I tried it and then didn't upgrade.

Off hand i'm not sure since I never had the free version. Also I don't think all the effects packs are compatible with 9 yet (not positive). I have every effects packs that they made for 8.

I like Premiere but I find with every update Adobe puts out my system is really starting to feel it. A couple of times I have been editing my videos and all of sudden I get that circle of death just spinning around and forcing me to close down Premiere
If you block adobe's call back ip address in your user profile it will never call home to update. ;)

Oh my Host file is full of do not call home Addies. LOL But I do want the newest and best so I download a new copy just to see if I like it or need it.
Oops, that's what I meant. Yeah I have a ton too. Not just Adobe. LOL

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
My first couple videos turned out ok, but one project in particular just will not cooperate.
I've sent many emails, screenshots, packed projects, etc. to the techs at Cyberlink to no avail, so I'm on the lookout for another program to edit my 4k footage in.
And I really don't want to dump a ton of moolah into it.
LOL
Snappy, what sort of problem were you having? I've been using PowerDirector for several years and may have some ideas for you.

Snappy, what sort of problem were you having? I've been using PowerDirector for several years and may have some ideas for you.
When I rendered the video in 4k, the transitions between clips weren't coming out. For example, I did cross-fades between all my clips and a lot of times it wouldn't fade, it would just jump from one clip to another unless I dropped the resolution down to 1080.

When I rendered the video in 4k, the transitions between clips weren't coming out. For example, I did cross-fades between all my clips and a lot of times it wouldn't fade, it would just jump from one clip to another unless I dropped the resolution down to 1080.
OK. I sounds like you may be hardware limited. 4K editing needs plenty of resources, CPU and GPU and RAM (all the acronyms;)). On my 2-1/2 year old PC, I have Windows 10 64-bit, an Intel i7 6700 processor, 16 GB RAM, a 500 GB solid-state drive (for operating system and programs only), an nVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB memory and 22 TB of hard disk space. Many of those things are upgrades that I have added over time.
I assume that you are overlapping the video clips to Crossfade. I use this regularly. It blends image and sound perfectly. You can also try a Fade transition. The Fade transition can be placed at the end of one clip, beginning of the next clip or straddling the intersection line. You get different results with each. I hope you can get this worked out. You get a lot for your money with PowerDirector and it's relatively fast handling 4K video.

OK. I sounds like you may be hardware limited. 4K editing needs plenty of resources, CPU and GPU and RAM (all the acronyms;)). On my 2-1/2 year old PC, I have Windows 10 64-bit, an Intel i7 6700 processor, 16 GB RAM, a 500 GB solid-state drive (for operating system and programs only), an nVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB memory and 22 TB of hard disk space. Many of those things are upgrades that I have added over time.
I assume that you are overlapping the video clips to Crossfade. I use this regularly. It blends image and sound perfectly. You can also try a Fade transition. The Fade transition can be placed at the end of one clip, beginning of the next clip or straddling the intersection line. You get different results with each. I hope you can get this worked out. You get a lot for your money with PowerDirector and it's relatively fast handling 4K video.
I'm not at home right now but when I get home I'll give you the specs on my laptop. When I originally started editing clips I would just drag them over the top of each other and then go back and manually type in the time. then I just started butting the clips up and inserting the fade transition over the top of them in the middle to do a nice Crossfade. that worked most of the time but every once in a while it still has a hiccup and I still haven't figured it out.

Just wondering, today I shot 15 gb of video with my EVO, I am passing everything through HandBrake, a 3.5 gb video takes approx. 1 hour which brings it down to 340 mb file.
This 15 gb of videos has 7 files. So my question should it take over 7 hours to process then there is Youtube . I use HandBrake then Shotcut.
Do you all take this amount of time to process your videos ?
Thanking in advance.

Just wondering, today I shot 15 gb of video with my EVO, I am passing everything through HandBrake, a 3.5 gb video takes approx. 1 hour which brings it down to 340 mb file.
This 15 gb of videos has 7 files. So my question should it take over 7 hours to process then there is Youtube . I use HandBrake then Shotcut.
Do you all take this amount of time to process your videos ?
Thanking in advance.
I have a macpro 2010 desktop and I use final cut pro. What I usually do is from that big 3.5gb file I cut only the most important parts and same for all other 3.5gb files. Then I export a giant MOV file with optimized settings to the desktop... Sometimes it's as big as 48gb. Then I take this huge file and import it to Apple compresor software which transform this giant file to less than 800mb then I export it to YouTube. The whole process can take between 4 to 6 hours. Depends how big the file it's.

Thanks Macoman and it is quite fast for 48 gb. I have a AMD 2.7ghz running win 10 64bits. How do you cut your parts unless it is a Mac software that allows you working with
the raw videos before you would commit to Youtube. A bit jealous I might add of your setup. :)
I am just trying to find what is possible to shorten the necessary time with Win 10 if at all possible.

Last edited:
That's why you need to download a video editing software that works well in the windows 10 environment.

Fine by me and you have a suggestion not costing too much?

Fine by me and you have a suggestion not costing too much?
I use Cyberlink PowerDirector 17 on my Win10 PC. It handles 4K video files from beginning to end. You may want to upgrade your computer if you plan on doing this much. As macoman said, the best thing is to cut out the less interesting stuff. Shorten the scenes to just a few seconds each. Nobody is going to be interested in long scenes where nothing much is changing. In PD17 you can produce the output video in 4K or 1080p with several optional formats. YouTube will handle 4K mp4 files with negligible degradation. YT viewers can chose which resolution works best on their equipment. I look forward to seeing your productions.

Reactions: macoman
I just ordered PD 17 through Amazon I hope it will be faster enabling me to produce more nice vids .
I use Shotcut at the moment which is not bad but for the time element. Will report with PD17.

UPDATE: Will receive my PD17 on Tuesday morning hopefully.

Last edited:
Reactions: macoman and Spappy

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials