Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

4k editing

Spappy

Reaction score
For those who film their footage in 4k, what software are you using to edit and produce your videos in 4k?
I purchased the Cyberlink upgrade from version 15 to 17 for my laptop.
My first couple videos turned out ok, but one project in particular just will not cooperate.
I've sent many emails, screenshots, packed projects, etc. to the techs at Cyberlink to no avail, so I'm on the lookout for another program to edit my 4k footage in.
And I really don't want to dump a ton of moolah into it.
LOL

Reactions: norman.hicks.35
Related to the 4k editing. Would anyone have any recommendations for the hardware side of editing 4k. I am looking to upgrade my old computer that doesn't show video without skipping, to something that would be adequate but not break the bank. I am currently running a 64-bit HP laptop with a (first generation) i5 Intel at 2.27ghz with 4gb ram. What should be the minimum?

Thanks,

Has anyone tried Hitfilm Express? I think I heard it recommended on the Tube.
I had a go with it but it's a little too advanced for my skills so for now i'm sticking with Wondershare Filmora till I get better. Then I'll probably go to Adobe After Effects.

Reactions: Nightbat2
I use Premiere Pro myself. Yes it's subscription based, but for $53 a month, you get all of the Creative Cloud software including Photoshop, Lightroom, Premiere Pro, After Effects and much more. There is a business price of $34 a month per user but I'm not sure if there's a minimum amount of users. Luckily for me, my day job gives me access to Creative Cloud on 2 machines so I have it at work and on my iMac Pro at home. I also sometimes use a free version of DaVinci Resolve for color grading. I'm sure there's a lot of free video editing software out there as well. I just like the choices of formats that Premiere will let me output, all at the same time from Media Encoder.

Reactions: jcommstudios
I use Premiere Pro myself. Yes it's subscription based, but for $53 a month, you get all of the Creative Cloud software including Photoshop, Lightroom, Premiere Pro, After Effects and much more. There is a business price of $34 a month per user but I'm not sure if there's a minimum amount of users. Luckily for me, my day job gives me access to Creative Cloud on 2 machines so I have it at work and on my iMac Pro at home. I also sometimes use a free version of DaVinci Resolve for color grading. I'm sure there's a lot of free video editing software out there as well. I just like the choices of formats that Premiere will let me output, all at the same time from Media Encoder.
The only problem with Adobe software is that you never own anything. It is like renting software. This is why I bought a MacPro 2010 and upgraded the processor and memory. Then I bought final cut pro. Investment in total was around a $1000 dollars. I never have issues with my MacPro or final cut pro. The good thing is that you don't rent anything. Everything is yours. Calculating you spend... $52 a month is $624 a year, just for premiere. Final cut pro cost $299.

Reactions: Marcle
The only problem with Adobe software is that you never own anything. It is like renting software. This is why I bought a MacPro 2010 and upgraded the processor and memory. Then I bought final cut pro. Investment in total was around a $1000 dollars. I never have issues with my MacPro or final cut pro. The good thing is that you don't rent anything. Everything is yours. Calculating you spend... $52 a month is $624 a year, just for premiere. Final cut pro cost $299.

You are correct, but the one thing I would say is that it gets upgraded all the time (for better or worse). I am fortunate to have an Enterprise account through work and get it on 2 machines (I'm not sure how the other accounts work though). Plus you get a lot more than just one program, there's Photoshop, Audition (professional sound mixing and creation software), After Effects, etc.

You are correct, but the one thing I would say is that it gets upgraded all the time (for better or worse). I am fortunate to have an Enterprise account through work and get it on 2 machines (I'm not sure how the other accounts work though). Plus you get a lot more than just one program, there's Photoshop, Audition (professional sound mixing and creation software), After Effects, etc.
That's good and looks like a great deal but honestly I don't trust Adobe. I don't trust that you need to have a Adobe account online to activate the software and even if you activate the software. Everytime it start the software, it check first to see if you are online and then it will open up. I don't trust this type of software service. It have a very deep dependency on the internet to just work. I personally will never pay anything to Adobe even if the deal involved a bundle of softwares.

That's good and looks like a great deal but honestly I don't trust Adobe. I don't trust that you need to have a Adobe account online to activate the software and even if you activate the software. Everytime it start the software, it check first to see if you are online and then it will open up. I don't trust this type of software service. It have a very deep dependency on the internet to just work. I personally will never pay anything to Adobe even if the deal involved a bundle of softwares.

The software will work for 30 days without calling home (supposedly, I've never actually tried it out). As I say, it's supposed to...;)

Reactions: macoman
Related to the 4k editing. Would anyone have any recommendations for the hardware side of editing 4k. I am looking to upgrade my old computer that doesn't show video without skipping, to something that would be adequate but not break the bank. I am currently running a 64-bit HP laptop with a (first generation) i5 Intel at 2.27ghz with 4gb ram. What should be the minimum?

Thanks,
@Mike9903 ... Intel i7 (or better yet Xeon) with a minimum 6 cores 12 threads - nvidia 1070 graphics card with at least 8 gigs on board RAM - minimum of 32 gigs of RAM - 1/2 TB solid state program drive - 2/4 TB 7,200 or 10,000 rpm drives. UHD monitor.

I had a go with it but it's a little too advanced for my skills so for now i'm sticking with Wondershare Filmora till I get better. Then I'll probably go to Adobe After Effects.
@Tufargon AE will confuse you lol. If you decide to use Adobe get Premiere. I have been a pro editor for..well forever.. Started with Premiere 2.0 (not Pro just 2.0) in the dark ages and did beta testing for Miro capture cards who were eventually purchased a couple times and ended up as an AVID acquisition. I stuck with Premiere and I currently use the Premier suite. It is one of the industry standards. You might want to try the free version of DaVinci Resolve if your system is beefy enough. Good luck!

Reactions: Tufargon and Marcle
I like Premiere but I find with every update Adobe puts out my system is really starting to feel it. A couple of times I have been editing my videos and all of sudden I get that circle of death just spinning around and forcing me to close down Premiere :eek:
I also use DaVinci Resolve which I find runs smoother on my computer but it is a learning curve for sure. The last update for DaVinci Resolve has made it a lot more user friendly IMHO.
I tend to switch back and forth depending on what I need from the program.

Fstoppers built the best computer for Premiere, don't think I can afford that one just yet.

@Tufargon AE will confuse you lol. If you decide to use Adobe get Premiere. I have been a pro editor for..well forever.. Started with Premiere 2.0 (not Pro just 2.0) in the dark ages and did beta testing for Miro capture cards who were eventually purchased a couple times and ended up as an AVID acquisition. I stuck with Premiere and I currently use the Premier suite. It is one of the industry standards. You might want to try the free version of DaVinci Resolve if your system is beefy enough. Good luck!
Thank you for that. I have tried all of those but just stuck with Filmora. Filmora just seems so easy and has a ton of effects packs. I may get Premiere again just to mess around.

Thank you for that. I have tried all of those but just stuck with Filmora. Filmora just seems so easy and has a ton of effects packs. I may get Premiere again just to mess around.
@Tufargon People always ask me what the best software is...my standard reply is...the software you know how to use! lol

Reactions: Tufargon
For those who film their footage in 4k, what software are you using to edit and produce your videos in 4k?
I purchased the Cyberlink upgrade from version 15 to 17 for my laptop.
My first couple videos turned out ok, but one project in particular just will not cooperate.
I've sent many emails, screenshots, packed projects, etc. to the techs at Cyberlink to no avail, so I'm on the lookout for another program to edit my 4k footage in.
And I really don't want to dump a ton of moolah into it.
LOL
I tried several apps and the ones with novice and professional features that I most like are VSDC and Filmora. Both have free version and paid subscription. After trying both I kept VSDC. Try it out...

Reactions: Spappy
I like Premiere but I find with every update Adobe puts out my system is really starting to feel it. A couple of times I have been editing my videos and all of sudden I get that circle of death just spinning around and forcing me to close down Premiere :eek:
I also use DaVinci Resolve which I find runs smoother on my computer but it is a learning curve for sure. The last update for DaVinci Resolve has made it a lot more user friendly IMHO.
I tend to switch back and forth depending on what I need from the program.

Fstoppers built the best computer for Premiere, don't think I can afford that one just yet.

@Agustine That is a beast!
We are configuring a system tomorrow that should be pretty quick. Running the Premier Suite and some other software I use. Refurbed - HP Z420 6-Core Xeon E5-1650 3.2GHz CPU. Nvidia GTX 1080 w/8 Gigs RAM. 64 Gigs of ECC RAM. 512 Gig SSD. 7,200 rpm 4 Terabyte HDD and an LG Bluray burner. Also picked up a Samsung U28E570D 4K 28" monitor.
Kind of like Christmas Eve here at my place...lol........
Update... the system is up and running. It is handling full 4K UHD 2160 .movs at 100mbps with ease!

Attachments

• DSCN6905B.jpg
    DSCN6905B.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
As someone said earlier, it’s a two part answer—software and hardware. I have an older iMac with 8gb of RAM and a Terabyte drive which is only half-full (caches cleared, etc etc). It runs the last version of Final Cut Pro that came on DVD and a bunch of other programs. BUT—it stutters and burps with 4k @ 25fps, let alone 60fps, so I’ve given up and haven’t yet decided whether to get a newer Mac or bite the Windows bullet. In the meantime, my 2nd generation iPad Pro handles 4k at 25fps with ease. I have been using iMovie and something called Videoshop for simple efforts. If I need to put something together that’s a little more complicated I can get my wife to edit it on her much newer iMac which includes the full Adobe Suite (she edits stuff for her projects). The iPad Pro is amazing and I wonder what new latest one with the A12 Bionic chip and ‘neural engine’ might be like. There are a couple of other iOS apps I could try, but at the moment the learning curves I’m on Wordpress, Elementor, Real Estate marketing and acrylic art) are enough to tax my feeble brain!

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials