Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

3D Mapping with EVO?

Does DJI include height in their photo metadata on all aircraft models?
I don't know about X-Stars, but the Evo always show height at 0.

Edit: Sorry, for some reason I read Autel and not DJI. Yes they do.

I don't know about X-Stars, but the Evo always show height at 0.

Edit: Sorry, for some reason I read Autel and not DJI. Yes they do.
DJI have removed height from the .SRT video sidecar files on the Mavic 2, and the vision positioning sensors readings are no longer present on the P4P extracted sidecar files. The EVO video sidecar files are a nonstandard .asf as I recall.

On the Evo. It shows as 0.

DJI have removed height from the .SRT video sidecar files on the Mavic 2, and the vision positioning sensors readings are no longer present on the P4P extracted sidecar files. The EVO video sidecar files are a nonstandard .asf as I recall.
DJI drones use barometer for height calculation. VPS won't work after 30'.

On the Evo. It shows as 0.

DJI drones use barometer for height calculation. VPS won't work after 30'.
Understood, but what is DJI using that appears in the photo metadata that is displayed as useful elevation for 3D mapping? The advantage of VPS is that it is far more accurate below 30 feet than the barometer, which often isn't carefully calibrated properly at launch, unless you let it settle in for a minute or two, after booting up. For 3D mapping, I would asume you need AGL values, not barometric changes from the launch point.

If that is from the GPS altitude, it is AGL? Or is it from the barometer, based upon elevation above the launch point?

No idea, there was a post in here some time ago about it. I think most people found it to be out by 50 or so feet from what they were reading on the controller

We also had this post going for a solution for mapping.
Good stuff in that thread of the relevant issues.

Understood, but what is DJI using that appears in the photo metadata that is displayed as useful elevation for 3D mapping? The advantage of VPS is that it is far more accurate below 30 feet than the barometer, which often isn't carefully calibrated properly at launch, unless you let it settle in for a minute or two, after booting up. For 3D mapping, I would asume you need AGL values, not barometric changes from the launch point.
To my understanding, DJI uses input from various sensors. I know that even if VPS isn't used for positioning, it can read it's height in relation to takeoff point ar 100'. This is how the Tello can fly at 100'. My guess is that the electronkcs have some type of math equation, if you are gaining altitude at 3m/s, then after 10 seconds you are at 100' and corroborates this info with it's sensors.

Edit: The Evo can do an orthomosaic no problem.

This is what I'm referring to. These photos were taken from almost the same spot and at the same altitude. As you can see, the Evo gives Altitude as 0, while the Phantom gives 74' as it's height. For 3D mapping, it is very important that the software you are using has height included, since it needs to adjust the photographs to position and height and with the overlapping, it's able to measure and render the model.

I spoke to Autel about this and their reply was "I'll let the engineering team know" that they always say.

Edit: I just stole this from the Mavic forums. I don't know if this is a MA, MP, M2Z, or M2P; but it also contains altitude in it's metadata.
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys I can see you are very experienced! Sorry in advance for my newbiness, but I am buying a drone this week and finally decided on the EVO for a few reasons, including I want to shoot inside warehouses or manufacturing facilities (with no autodetect on or I would get beeps every 5 seconds) less noise, nice solid video (my primary need for Premiere), etc. In addition to B roll for corporate videos my second need is to use it to help their salespeople bid jobs (fly around prospective customer location inside, to create 3d image of the prospective customer's existing machinery to create 3d models to demonstrate how my client can create special guarding (light curtains, physical barriers, etc.) to meet OSHA safety requirements. Also I may have a few Realtors I can hook up with... I was looking at the Parrot Anafi since they seem to have their "Anafi Work" package at B&H which seems to meet this need (the drone, software package, few batteries, etc.) , especially for a newbie, but then I saw the Evo and was just about the pull the plug and get one this week. I've been on countless Youtube videos and looked at a lot of recommendations and reviews but you guys seem to be the "real deal"... Any direction you can drive me in would be appreciated! BTW I'd like to keep the budget around 1K since I'm just getting started...

Thanks guys I can see you are very experienced! Sorry in advance for my newbiness, but I am buying a drone this week and finally decided on the EVO for a few reasons, including I want to shoot inside warehouses or manufacturing facilities (with no autodetect on or I would get beeps every 5 seconds) less noise, nice solid video (my primary need for Premiere), etc. In addition to B roll for corporate videos my second need is to use it to help their salespeople bid jobs (fly around prospective customer location inside, to create 3d image of the prospective customer's existing machinery to create 3d models to demonstrate how my client can create special guarding (light curtains, physical barriers, etc.) to meet OSHA safety requirements. Also I may have a few Realtors I can hook up with... I was looking at the Parrot Anafi since they seem to have their "Anafi Work" package at B&H which seems to meet this need (the drone, software package, few batteries, etc.) , especially for a newbie, but then I saw the Evo and was just about the pull the plug and get one this week. I've been on countless Youtube videos and looked at a lot of recommendations and reviews but you guys seem to be the "real deal"... Any direction you can drive me in would be appreciated! BTW I'd like to keep the budget around 1K since I'm just getting started...
I don't know much about Parrot drones. @Agustine is more of an expert in that area. I can tell you that a Mavic Pro can achieve all your needs in a single drone, but the Evo can't. The Evo exceeds in other areas.

One of the members on ParrotPilots does a lot of indoor flying with the Anafi. He seems to like it for that. Not sure how well it would work for your needs but I would think just as good as any other one you might be considering. And it is a lot cheaper in price.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo