Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

36km Max Speed in normal mode is only attainable in calm winds

Racharg

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that the max speed in normal mode isn't what's stated. For me, it's that max speed minus whatever it takes to overcome wind conditions.
Oftentimes, if I am flying into a strong wind, my maximum speed is like 10km/h unless I pop it into ludicrous mode. This is true of mission flights as well.
Kinda frustrating, especially when flying video and trying to maintain a constant speed.

Has anyone noticed that the max speed in normal mode isn't what's stated. For me, it's that max speed minus whatever it takes to overcome wind conditions.
Oftentimes, if I am flying into a strong wind, my maximum speed is like 10km/h unless I pop it into ludicrous mode. This is true of mission flights as well.
Kinda frustrating, especially when flying video and trying to maintain a constant speed.

I don't understand how you would think it could possibly be any other way. We are talking about a tiny drone (relatively speaking) flying in up to 30-40mph winds, not only having to keep the craft in the air, but also having to keep the craft as level as possible; what did you think was going to happen when it has to divert power from forward motion to overcoming wind resistance? There is nothing else on this planet that does not perform the same way; try sailing a sailboat into a headwind, try even driving a car to its max speed in a headwind, even a multi-ton car with the benefit of direct ground contact would be unlikely to reach its rated maximum on a windy day. There's a reason why many outdoor sports are cancelled if the wind reaches a certain speed.

On windy days I am just thankful to get the drone into the air and safely back on the ground, speed is the last thing on my mind. Maximum ratings for pretty much everything is based on optimal conditions; for a drone that is with a fresh battery and no wind whatsoever. I definitely fault Autel for many things as you can read here, but the EVO II is excellent at wind handling when compared to its peers.

You misunderstand (and I am not a novice pilot.) In normal mode we are not dealing with the true maximum speed of the drone. It is just artificially capped via the app at 36kph and I was wishing that some of that "reserve" speed that Ludicrous mode allows was available in normal mode to actually sustain speeds of 36kph in moderate winds.

Reactions: herein2021
You misunderstand (and I am not a novice pilot.) In normal mode we are not dealing with the true maximum speed of the drone. It is just artificially capped via the app at 36kph and I was wishing that some of that "reserve" speed that Ludicrous mode allows was available in normal mode to actually sustain speeds of 36kph in moderate winds.

Ahh, got it, yes I put that on my wish list here. It makes no sense that it does not use the reserve power to maintain the desired speed limit when faced with a high wind situation. I haven't flown a DJI product in so long that I don't know if DJI does this or not.

I've never noticed it on any of my DJI drones. That's a comprehensive list for sure! The ability to turn off auto-land is a big one for me as well.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58