Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Mode Hello, for the experts of this forum, in normal mode what wind speed can the Evo 2 Pro withstand. You engage the Ludicrous mode at what wind spee

RBoutch

Reaction score
Hello, for the experts of this forum, in normal mode what wind speed can the Evo 2 Pro withstand. You engage the Ludicrous mode at what wind speeds? Thank you

Hello, for the experts of this forum, in normal mode what wind speed can the Evo 2 Pro withstand. You engage the Ludicrous mode at what wind speeds? Thank you

There is no one size fits all, it depends on the situation at least for me. Below is kind of a loose list that I go by:

1. Need to catch something traveling faster than 22mph - This is the main reason I enable Ludicrous mode. I film a lot of boats, cars, etc. And in order to catch them, pass them, then perform actual maneuvers with them you obviously need to fly faster than them.
  2. Need more motion - I enable Ludicrous mode when I need more apparent motion than 22mph will produce. I rarely use it this way, I would much rather fly very precise and very slow then speed ramp or speed up the footage in post but sometimes I have used Ludicrous mode to enhance the effects of motion.
  3. Need to quickly get in place - I have had to use Ludicrous mode to quickly position the drone where it needs to be i.e. for the start of a race or something else that may only happen once
  4. Wind speed prevents return trip - here is more of an answer to your question. If the wind is a headwind on the return trip and the forward speed drops below around 10mph then I enable Ludicrous mode. Be very careful on windy days; Ludicrous mode uses the battery very quickly and if you are not careful you could run out of battery juice before you safely return
  5. Wind speed prevents smooth motion - I keep the crosshairs turned on at all times in the display, and when the wind speed starts affecting the type of camera movement that I want (orbit, dolly, truck, pedestal, etc.) then I use Ludicrous mode to overcome the wind.
In the end, I don't know the exact wind speed that is needed to require Ludicrous mode and for me wind is not the only reason I enabled it. Sometimes I just get tired of waiting for it to return and turn it on just to bring it back faster. I do think it is pretty stable up to around 15-20mph wind.....but I am very conservative and keep the drone close by on windy days; ground level wind is usually far lower than what the drone is encountering.

Another tip is to watch the little radar screen; the lower half of the radar screen shows you how much the drone is tilting due to wind, the more severe the tilt, the more crosswind the drone is fighting and the closer you should keep the drone.

So in normal mode, assuming you are flying against the wind, about 15-20 is as high of wind speed you can fly because the drone simply won't make any headway. Again in Ludicrous, the top speed would be about 35-40. I would never fly far, if at all, in that type of wind. It drains the battery much faster because the drone has to work harder to move where you want it to or just to stay stationary in a hover. Also keep in mind the camera. I shoot using AEB and in winds over 10 mph or so, the bracketed shots have a much higher chance of being out of sync. Even the tiniest bit will ruin the shot. I do a lot of time/hyper lapse shots and the same thing can happen as well, BUT.... I will say for normal video though that the E2P does a great job in high wind! It will look like its almost sideways trying to stay stationary and the gimbal does a outstanding job at making the video look smooth. About 15-20 is the highest wind speeds I would fly in unless I absolutely needed to.

Reactions: robertmarcos
Donc, en mode normal, en supposant que vous voliez contre le vent, environ 15-20 est la vitesse du vent que vous pouvez voler parce que le drone ne fera tout simplement aucun progrès. Encore une fois dans Ludicrous, la vitesse de pointe serait d'environ 35-40. Je ne volerais jamais loin, voire pas du tout, dans ce type de vent. Il décharge la batterie beaucoup plus rapidement car le drone doit travailler plus fort pour se déplacer où vous le souhaitez ou simplement pour rester stationnaire en vol stationnaire. Gardez également à l'esprit l'appareil photo. Je tire en utilisant AEB et dans des vents supérieurs à 10 mph ou plus, les prises de vue entre crochets ont beaucoup plus de chances d'être désynchronisées. Même le plus petit morceau gâchera la prise de vue. Je fais beaucoup de prises de vue en time/hyper lapse et la même chose peut arriver aussi, MAIS.... Je dirai cependant que pour une vidéo normale, l'E2P fait un excellent travail par grand vent ! Il semblera qu'il essaie presque latéralement de rester stationnaire et le cardan fait un travail remarquable pour rendre la vidéo fluide. Environ 15-20 sont les vitesses de vent les plus élevées dans lesquelles je volerais à moins que j'en ai absolument besoin.
Merci beaucoup

Reactions: MNT DRONE SOLUTIONS
35mph in full Ludicrous mode is the max if you dont want the drone to blow away...

Wait...so the speed limit in the configuration is not a reference to ground speed? If so, or it is intended to be IAS/TAS, it would seem that it is not really a speed limit but rather an imputed performance limit based on power/pitch/roll. Can anyone knowledgeable provide clarification?

specifications say 39 MPH though video footage may be jerky in gusts over that. for good results I would stay with 20 mph and gusts up to 30 mph.

If my landing pad needs rocks or stakes to keep it on the ground - IT IS TOO WINDY TO FLY MY $1000 TOY ! ! !

I also watch the angle the Drone is at by keeping an eye on the grey circle radar in the top left of the screen. I try to keep that level. This will help avoid wind taking the Drone.

Keep in mind, winds on the ground are slower than winds aloft. If you have 20 on the ground, thats the limit for me. Push the envelope and at some point you'll find yourself in a downwind situation with all four motors at max rpm, sucking as much battery for maximum thrust and the 2-5 mph of the drone over the ground trying to come back to you isn't going to happen. I have flown over 7 million linear feet according to DJI and pushed the envelope before... its not worth it.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marwan