Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

XSP disconnects from Starlink App at 50’ or less every flight

HiloHawaiian

Reaction score
My trusty XSP #1 (150+ flights), suddenly disconnects 100% of the time very soon after take-off. I’m clear of power lines, metal. I’m flying where I’ve flown several times w/o problems. Same disconnection... I can fly it ok w/o the App, it get 16+ GPS, RTH works too.

This RC & XSP have about 20 flights on them. Non-modded, pretty new RC. Dedicated iPad Air 2, used for every XSP ever flown for 2 yrs. I don’t update iOS anymore. Last flown problem-free a month ago in AZ. I left for 3 weeks, come back, this happens every flight.

I’ve gotta bad cold, head plugged, what am I missing? What I’ve tried, that hasn’t worked:

Different iPad, latest iOS, new Starlink D/L, took off, flew 50’ up, camera worked fine, lost Starlink connection

New Apple lightning-usb cable

Removed camera, cleaned contacts

Different camera

Checked all connections, compass lines, etc...

Calibrated compass

My next step tomorrow is to try this RC with XSP #2, a relative virgin.

Thoughts?

I am leaning to something that involves the camera or the multi wire cable not making good contact on one or more of its pins. I get that every once in a while but usually a good cleaning of the camera contacts takes care of it. Keep us informed with the next step.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
OK, despite gale-force winds, I paired XSP #2 (like new) to the same RC, and it flew perfectly. So, this eliminates the RC as the issue. Ag, you must be leaning in the right direction. I did try XSP #2’s camera on XSP #1, and got the same disconnect result, so it’s doubtful it’s a camera problem on XSP #1. This is detective work.....
I will try to clean the contacts and check the cabling in the area carefully on XSP #1, rebind the RC and try again. At least I got one in the air!

Well it is possible the WiFi board is toast on XSP #1. Its not unheard of. There is no rhyme or reason why they go but they do burn out. Hopefully its just a bad wire connection someplace.

Well it is possible the WiFi board is toast on XSP #1. Its not unheard of. There is no rhyme or reason why they go but they do burn out. Hopefully its just a bad wire connection someplace.
Thanks....it very well could be that. My estimate is $250 for Autel to fix it. I might just keep it for parts. Lots of hours on it, it shot 90% of Hawaiian footage.

I just cleaned the contacts well, replugged the main camera cable. Took-off camera worked, at 70’ lost connection :(

I’ll try #1 camera on #2 XSP. That should isolate problem to XSP #1 itself. I’m gonna go fly the new one. After fighting this for a week, I just want to go buzz some cacti...

As a thought, if the compass module went south could it be the culprit?

Ok, I put #1 camera on #2 XSP, and lost connection! So, I’m wondering if that cactus bump caused an issue? I flew about 20 times after that w/o a problem, but #2camera on #2 XSP flies perfectly. I’ll do the test one more time to confirm today, but as Agustine said, it’s sure pointing toward the camera. I’ll also try flying #1 again w/o the camera, something I didn’t try...

Today I was cycling my X-star batteries and read your post. Thought well its been over 3 months since I fire it up so a full charge on one battery and off to the back yard to see if it still worked.
Wow is this thing noisy compared to my Anafi. LOL Scared the crap out of me when it took off. Worked like I remembered but its like a big old bull in a china shop compared to the Anafi. Still fun to fly but such a big imprint compared to the smaller foldable UAV's
Camera worked great. No disconnects but I did clean the terminals before going out.

MAX_0007.jpg

Last edited:
Today I was cycling my X-star batteries and read your post. Thought well its been over 3 months since I fire it up so a full charge on one battery and off to the back yard to see if it still worked.
Wow is this thing noisy compared to my Anafi. LOL Scared the crap out of me when it took off. Worked like I remembered but its like a big old bull in a china shop compared to the Anafi. Still fun to fly but such a big imprint compared to the smaller foldable UAV's
Camera worked great. No disconnects but I did clean the terminals before going out.

View attachment 3283
It’s a good thing you don’t have a white XSP, you never find it!

BTW, ok if I use this for a little while? I change them every month or so — It works great as a lock screen wallpaper!Untitled.jpg

Reactions: Jagerbomb52

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials