Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

X-Star Log Files

TomKnAL

Reaction score
This is in response to another thread.

To DL X-Star log files:
  • Start everything up
  • Go to "Fight Control Settings", then "Advanced Settings"
  • Click on "Read" next to "Read Flight Data"
  • Connect the X-Star to a computer using the micro-USB connector at the front of the X-Star
  • Eventually the "NO NAME" volume will be mounted.
  • Copy the log files to another disk- This is a slow transfer - The X-Star will beep continuously and flash red.
  • You can turn off the remote and Starlink during the Xfer
  • Power down the X-Star and Remove the USB cable
The log files are split in to SESSION directories.
Code:
./SESS0174:

total 196896
-rwxrwxrwx  1    4250281 Oct  8 18:17 log001.bin
-rwxrwxrwx  1   96541795 Oct  8 18:37 log002.bin
-rwxrwxrwx  1       1639 Oct  8 18:17 postflight_perf001.txt
-rwxrwxrwx  1       1670 Oct  8 18:37 postflight_perf002.txt
-rwxrwxrwx  1       1631 Oct  8 18:17 preflight_perf001.txt
-rwxrwxrwx  1       1639 Oct  8 18:18 preflight_perf002.txt

./SESS0175:
total 166736
-rwxrwxrwx  1   85359735 Oct  9 22:19 log001.bin
-rwxrwxrwx  1       1667 Oct  9 22:19 postflight_perf001.txt
-rwxrwxrwx  1       1626 Oct  9 22:01 preflight_perf001.txt

./SESS0176:
total 107168
-rwxrwxrwx  1   54859728 Oct  9 23:15 log001.bin
-rwxrwxrwx  1       1661 Oct  9 23:15 postflight_perf001.txt
-rwxrwxrwx  1       1635 Oct  9 23:04 preflight_perf001.txt

I haven't found any user for the post/preflight files. The log files are binary and are not readable with an editor, etc. There are two ways to view the log files.

X-Star Log Viewer
X-Star Log Viewer is available for Windows. See http://xstarlogs.com/ for details and to DL a copy. X-Star Log viewer will plot values and can generate KML files than can be used with Google Earth.

sdlog2_dump.py
sdlog2_dump.py is a Python script that can be used on Windows, Mac, and Linux. It's not hard to install Python on a PC but I won't cover that here.
Get sdlog2_dump.py here: Firmware/Tools/sdlog2 at master · PX4/Firmware · GitHub

I used it to extract lat/lon from 9/25 flights, then used GPS Visualizer to show the tracks:

upload_2016-10-15_1-11-50.png

Wow, that was good. Now only if I could do it. Not so good with the computer. Maybe I'll give it a shot. Thanks

New user flying the orange bird up here in Montana. Love the bird, but unsure about long term health of Autel. I've been able to download the log file and view it in XStarLogViewer successfully. The question I have is, does anyone know if the data for when the camera shutter is activated is stored in the log file. I want to have camera position and x, y, z and yaw for each camera shot

Thanks,
cooksa

Does anyone know what "Bad Conversion" refers to in the XSP log file? It appears in the third column from the left (column 0).BadConversion.JPG

Use dronelogbook.com

I asked the guy who made that site to update it when the first beta came out and he said he would when he updates his X-Star but so far he has not.
So I had Dronelogbook up theirs and it works now.

Use dronelogbook.com

I asked the guy who made that site to update it when the first beta came out and he said he would when he updates his X-Star but so far he has not.
So I had Dronelogbook up theirs and it works now.

I left him a message on his GitHub thread as well....damn thing is I have an automated spreadsheet that works in conjunction with his app's output....gives me all kinds of good stuff to overlay on Dashware....keeping my fingers crossed that he'll modify the app but I'll have a look at Dronelogbook...thanks Agustine.

Dronelogbook seems to get most of the info but when I try to use the ICG file in Dashware the info is all screwed up. Not sure what is going on. I even tried RaceRender3 with not much luck.

I just registered as a freebee user on Dronelogbook but I don't see any way to export the bin file to csv......Dashware is very finicky about data input, however I've been very successful using simple csv format....you just have to make sure that each row of data has a corresponding GPS epoch timestamp (which you must calculate) in ascending order. I can show you some sample data that I use for DW input if you're interested.

LOL
No thanks. Went through that with my Q500 a few years ago before they came out with a few programs to automate the process. Me and Microsoft Excel don't play very well together :)

I hear ya......Excel's been a big part of my day job for 20 years but quite honestly some days I think I'd rather be breaking rocks with a sledge hammer. :D

I started using the Python script that Autel includes with log file downloads.....works great with V2 FW....you get every possible reportable item shrink wrapped in one CSV file.....awesome :D

Here are a couple of slides I put together and printed to pdf......pretty much step by step.....give it a try on one log file....lemme know if you get jammed :confused:

Attachments

• Autel_LogFile_PythonReader.pdf
    733 KB · Views: 23
Thanks for taking the time to post this.
I keep getting a invalid header error. Probably doing something wrong in my commands as I was raised on windows :)

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.15063]
(c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Gaming>G:

G:\>python sdlog2_dump.py log001.bin -f export.csv -t TIME -d , -n
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "sdlog2_dump.py", line 334, in <module>
_main()
File "sdlog2_dump.py", line 331, in _main
parser.process(fn)
File "sdlog2_dump.py", line 135, in process
raise Exception("Invalid header at %i (0x%X): %02X %02X, must be %02X %02X" % (bytes_read + self.__ptr, bytes_read + self.__ptr, head1, head2, self.MSG_HEAD1, self.MSG_HEAD2))
Exception: Invalid header at 89 (0x59): 45 50, must be A3 95

G:\>

Well the good news is the script found the file :)
Just a note.....this is the script that downloaded with some log files from an XSP loaded with V2.0.x firmware.....are you trying to run the script on some older V1.1.3 generated logs by chance?

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials