Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Charger compatibility for jump-starting X-Star battery

dman

Reaction score
I fall into the same category with most of you with faulty batteries. Using the method of connecting the battery to an RC charger, sure sounds easier and safer, especially for a 70 yr old senior, so can anyone advise if a charger of this type>Amazon.com: Dynamite Prophet Sport Mini 50W Multichemistry Charger, DYNC2030: Toys & Games be used to jump-start the x-star battery?

Thanks
Wound up not using this charger after 2 units failed to even kick into charging mode. Decided on this charger https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08C592PNV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and glad i did, worked like a charm and my battery with no lights and no sign of life, is now fully charged. I jumped the battery for 2 mins as a NiMH and immediately placed it on the stock charger where it came to life and according to the specs on the X-Star, all four cells are balanced.

Wouldn't you know it.................flew the drone for about 30 mins, When i noticed there was an update. Update downloaded and installed. Now it's bricked. Won't even take off manually or auto, goes about a foot up, motors flucuate and it falls back down. Anyone heard that befoe LOL. I should have known better. Been 2 weeks since this happened and in keeping up with Autel's reputation when it comes to the X-Star, no response from them.

Never again!!

Wound up not using this charger after 2 units failed to even kick into charging mode. Decided on this charger https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08C592PNV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and glad i did, worked like a charm and my battery with no lights and no sign of life, is now fully charged. I jumped the battery for 2 mins as a NiMH and immediately placed it on the stock charger where it came to life and according to the specs on the X-Star, all four cells are balanced.
That link doesn't work. Why kind of charger did you get. Would a 6 volt trickle charger work

That link doesn't work. Why kind of charger did you get. Would a 6 volt trickle charger work
It's been a while but if you're still interested then I think I found the LiPo charger in his first link. I do admit the Amazon link wasn't as good and I ended up buying one (today) from ebay:

or

I have 3 batteries that will not charge as well. Used maybe 3 or 4 times. Have been researching and soaking in all of the great ideas, but have one major question that has not been resolved...how do you attach the after market charger to the battery pack to jump start them? I suspect that my OEM charger is not working. BTW, when I started the drone for the first flight, got a message that there was an update available. Big mistake as it bricked the bird. Had to send it back to Autel for programming.

Does your experience suggest not updating the X-Star if the update message appears? I flew mine recently after a year and didn't get any update message.

Scrod 68, Utah Jim: While getting ready to fly my bird 2 years ago, got an update message and it bricked mine as well. Returned to Autel after having a lengthy discussion about not being able to flash the bird back to factory specs. This is total arrogant geek ********. If you offer updates, there should always be a way to reset to factory specs because SOMETIMES, the updates will cause problems. Will NEVER do an update again.

On the battery issue, I had 3 totally dead batteries. Used an external power source to bring them up to the 6 volt level and the factory charger then kicked in. All 3 were returned to full charge level. One exhibited excessive temperature (15 degrees above the other 2, which were at room temp) and some slight swelling. It was disposed with a local battery recycler. The other 2 have held their charge for a month and only recently, have dropped from 4 LED's to 3 LED's. A maintenance brought them back the 4 LED level and have held that for 3 weeks now. I absolutely recommend monitoring the temperature and physical appearance while charging these batteries. Additionally you should identify a local recycler and consult them on what receptacle the battery should be placed into while recharging. I used to have 4 batteries and while charging one, had the bloody thing go into overdrive, excessive heat and swelling. It ruptured while sitting inside of a plastic trash can. I barely got the can outside before the battery went "China Syndrome" and melted though the bottom of it. Lots of smoke!

Guys, let me know if I can help with your charging issues. It is really very straight forward. Also, I would like to buy a spare battery or two and will take dead one's to try to revive.

Personally I'd actually like to know exactly how to do it. What leads will be needed, where to put them, roughly for how long etc. I did buy a booster, that said it could jump LiPos, but it didn't come with a lead that matched the head of the X Star's battery. I know it's easy for those that have done it but I'm no electrical engineer and I haven't done it before myself. I'd also rather avoid blowing up a LiPo battery by putting the wrong thing (live/negative) to the wrong thing...
Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry about the delay. Caught a mild case of the type "A" flu. I'm not an electrical engineer either, but have decades of global oilfield customer support experience. Basically, it is necessary to temporarily bypass the Autel balancing circuits (external charger connection) as they will not charge the cells until they are at 6 volts. The easiest way to accomplish this is to remove the cap of the battery. Are you OK with doing this?

I could be as long as it doesn't get the battery punctured or me blown into orbit... Pretty sure, by now, there's no guarantee issues with Autel...

Seggers, Did you ever get this resolved? I completely forgot about our discussion (profuse apologies!!) Do you have dead batteries for sale?

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials