Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

What is the skinny on the Canadian flight rules?

Flip

Reaction score
Website
flipmeisters.com
What is the skinny of Canadian Flight rules? I keep reading snippets about rule changes that impact the hobby adversely? Not that it's germane to me as I'll never fly there (though I do live close). Fact or fiction? Curious

What is the skinny of Canadian Flight rules? I keep reading snippets about rule changes that impact the hobby adversely? Not that it's germane to me as I'll never fly there (though I do live close). Fact or fiction? Curious

Fiction and no you cannot fly in Canada if you are not a Canadian citizen with out a SFOC (Special Flight Operations Certificate). It could take a month or so to get approved so if you plan on flying in Canada apply early. Below 250 grams you can fly all you want. No rules except the don't do something stupid rule.

Last edited:
Canadian rules are different than US. We have a two-tier system of licensing based on airspace, rather than purpose. My understanding is that in the US you only need to be registered with the FAA if you fly for fun or as a hobby. In Canada you need to have "Basic Pilot License" to fly in uncontrolled airspace (G). Also, there are limits on distances from people and property. The second tier is "Advanced Pilot License", which allows flights withing the other airspaces but each flight reguires a permission from Flight Control Centre (NAV CANADA: RPAS - RPAS Flight Authorization Request). They ususally approve flights outside of airports within less than 24 hours. Close to airports they might request a final applroval to be provided by the control tower on the day of the flight. Usually not a problem unless you are really close to the airport. In any case you still need to be licensed, have insurance, and the drone has to be registered and the registration number has to be attached to the airframe.

Hope this helps a bit..... :)

I read on another site that obtaining the pilot's license is quite difficult. Not that I live there because I don't but I wasn't aware of the regs either other than what I read,

The advanced can be a little intimating but not much more then your Part 107. It requires a flight review which can be a pain and expensive if you do not live any where close to someone qualified to give one. The basic I challenged it the very first hour it was out and never read a damn thing. Only used my common sense and passed with a 86%. Not hard at all.

Reactions: Flip
The basic is an on-line exam, so really, an open book one. But comes with a lot of limitations. As mentioned above, the advanced is similar to Part 107. When I looked at Part 107, I had the impression that IT is harder than our Canadian Advanced license. Either one is essentially a pilot license without having to fly the damn plane :)

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barry.bain