Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

TO BE noticed OR NOT TO BE noticed? That is the question.

quinn karter

Reaction score
The following is a story, stop reading now, if you think it will waist your time. If this elicits a thread of posts, I'll be , or not to be surprised?

A FICTION based on NONFICTIONAL circumstances: When I fly like I am doing nothing wrong; like standing in the open, legally, in a place I am legally allowed to take off and land and fly my drone, I end up increasing my chances of getting harassed by police or the drone fearing public more often than if I hide and fly as stealthy as possible. By stealth, I mean fly high, and keep myself and my drone out of sight as much as I possibly can. It's almost a requirement when there are 10 or more people nearby. It's common knowledge the more interaction with humans in general, never mind when you're flying a drone, the chances of problems arising increases exponentially. UNLESS YOU'RE A GIRL. Grrr. People, including police are inherently dangerous. Why, because most people are , in general , a suspicious lot. Some to a lesser and some to a higher degree. When I stay out in the open and fly legally I put myself at a higher risk of a confrontation with the public or police. It's worse at night when flying around with multiple anti collision lights. People think your spying or up to no good and cops think you might be up to some nefarious illegal act. Like making a drug drop. So they approach. If you can't answer their inquisition to their satisfaction you may find yourself in an untenable situation.

THE FICTION - The DARKSIDE: So, I have found myself moving to the DARKSIDE. Like finding places to hide when I want to fly my drone and film the ocean, beaches, sun and waves without people siccing police after me because they claim I might be a pedophile, or disturbing the peace, invading privacy, or being a voyeur etc etc. And at night, I find myself turning off all my drone lights, taking off all anti collision lights and fly at 400ft to be unheard so I can enjoy the night views and taking long exposure pictures of the city scape and car traffic without a cop pulling up on me and treating me as if I am guilty of committing a crime. Like spying or something. Scary stuff. So, NOW, in the DARKSIDE, I am free from all the harassment,, hatred, risk of police harassment, or risk of being harmed by crazy civilians..etc etc. Yes, I hear you all now, IF YOU THAT PARANOID YOU SHOULD QUIT FLYING DRONES. (remember this is a tale of fiction). I CAN'T STOP FLYING. I'm addicted. But I refuse to be harassed. I then buy pepper spray. Then a gun. 2 years later, I'm in jail for assault. I get out, then 2 years later I get shot by a cop because I have a concealed weapon and I'm black. Or, white. It's just a story. ANYHOO, DID YOU ALL HAVE A FUN READ? I had fun making it up.

I follow all the rules/ statutes/ laws by land sea and air in the good old USA.

But, I can write a piece of fiction if I want. Let the powers that be delete it if they wish. At least I had my 1 second of fame. Sarcasm??

Fly in the manner that makes you a safe, responsible pilot in command. If you're flying safely and within local statutes and federal guidelines, and can cite them, you can try to educate the drone-fearing public. However, as many uas pilots are aware, stupid is as stupid does.

I suppose if Law Enforcement is a huge concern, along with your Part-107 certifcate and drone registration, present them with Title 49 of the U.S. Code section 40103. If they issue a summons alleging a code or ordinance violation, Law Enforcement can explain their actions to a judge. You can cite Title 49 as part of your defense. You might even claim "fruit of the poisonous tree" and ask to have the case dismissed with prejudice. If you prevailed, you'd then have precedent in your back pocket.

It's not easy taking a stand. I suppose it all depends on how much one really wants to be up in the air, shooting photos and video.

Reactions: Andrew01
so far I am leaning towards to being noticed crowd instead of concealed. I wear a yellow vest and it's obvious to anyone that I'm the drone pilot. so far I haven't been harassed and I've only been approached a handful of times; twice by police and it was short and uneventful. however, I am not naive and I understand the day is coming soon.

for me, I think 150 feet is the height which I am safe to declare I'm not invading privacy or danger to people below. not because of the camera specs but because by any standard (except for government satellites) no one can reasonably believe you are spying on them from that high. if there are crowds of people (which I never fly over), I try to stay at least 300 feet up so as not to alarm anyone.

I am ready. in many ways, I am prepared for "that day." everyone can improve and for me, I wish I already knew a lawyer ahead of time that is familiar with drone laws and ready to go rather than searching for one after the incident. still, I don't live in a police state so I don't expect to be held on no bail falsely accused of terrorism or drone/car seized/confiscated because leo got upset....we try to follow the rule of law here. but you never know and your fictional story is not far from the truth.

one of these days I'm might be comfortable with sharing more details but it will be interesting to hear how other people handle the in- and out- of drone flying in their area.

I also fly a paramotor because like the person in this "fiction based on non-fiction circumstances" (LMAO). I was/am addicted to flying.

In paramotor flying I have found that people dont mind if you fly over and keep on going. They'll notice you and then continue about their business. But when you stay around the same place for too long, the engine noise disrupts them and then they start to not like you being around at all. Calling the police or even worse filing a complaint with the FAA.

FAA rules make it difficult for hobbyist drone flyers to enjoy themselves because we have to stay in line of sight at all times. This doesnt allow you to get your pictures and move on, despite much greater capabilities of the hardware. So it forces you to stay in one area and instead of people just noticing you in the sky and going about their business, they are constantly reminded of your presence and they get annoyed.

Anything you can do to mitigate that reminder to the public that youre there and still stay within legal guidelines, I would personally recommend. Unless you dont care about being confronted, then by all means youre allowed out there just as much as everyone else! Just got to know that "interactions" will be inevitable.

Edit:
Another thing I have noticed. If you put a hard hat on and collared shirt (golf shirt if its hot). Make your-self look like youre official, people also tend to think youre doing something of importance and leave you alone.

I also fly a paramotor because like the person in this "fiction based on non-fiction circumstances" (LMAO). I was/am addicted to flying.

In paramotor flying I have found that people dont mind if you fly over and keep on going. They'll notice you and then continue about their business. But when you stay around the same place for too long, the engine noise disrupts them and then they start to not like you being around at all. Calling the police or even worse filing a complaint with the FAA.

FAA rules make it difficult for hobbyist drone flyers to enjoy themselves because we have to stay in line of sight at all times. This doesnt allow you to get your pictures and move on, despite much greater capabilities of the hardware. So it forces you to stay in one area and instead of people just noticing you in the sky and going about their business, they are constantly reminded of your presence and they get annoyed.

Anything you can do to mitigate that reminder to the public that youre there and still stay within legal guidelines, I would personally recommend. Unless you dont care about being confronted, then by all means youre allowed out there just as much as everyone else! Just got to know that "interactions" will be inevitable.

Edit:
Another thing I have noticed. If you put a hard hat on and collared shirt (golf shirt if its hot). Make your-self look like youre official, people also tend to think youre doing something of importance and leave you alone.
I love the idea in the "edit" part of your post. If I saw a guy in a hard hat and an orange vest, I would think he is a city or private company employee just doing something he was told to do. I guess if someone asked me why I am flying up and down the coast line of a beach, I might say something like my boss told me to film so the city could count heads on the beach. And add, I think they need to know numbers because they are thinking about adding another public beach and access ramp if the numbers are high enough. Maybe even more sand rinsing facilities and maybe public bathrooms. They would definitely like that answer. But if it was a LEO I'd be like ummm. He'd be like why the getup sir. UMMM. "I aaah, thought looking professional would comfort the public while I look for dolphins, sharks and manatees near the shoreline and take pictures of birds, and the waves for my friends and family? I didn't want any one getting nervous or upset officer, you know how it is, right?"

Just so you know, there is a nearby beach I like to fly. It is heavily patrolled by either community service volunteers and or LEOs. They usually look for beach goers drinking from glass bottles. Not sure why such a high police presence though. Anyway. If you stand in one place for more than 45 minutes, you will see a patrol truck driving down the beach sooner than later. If they see you with an r/c they will definitely approach. And they always say, "we don't allow drones on this beach". But I know for a fact that there is no state approved or even an illegal city ordinance against drone flights, takeoffs or landings on the part of the beach I fly on. But they always ask drone pilots to quit flying. I never hung around long enough to ask why. I figure I got enough photos and footage. No need to piss off a LEO on a power trip.

Last edited:
instead of concealed.
My "rules";
1 only fly G airspace
2 only fly if the chance of human encounter is <20%
2a IF a human encounter is inevitable during flight, make sure you can, land downrange or RTH and land prior to the encounter
following those rules you never have to defend mandated rules :cool:

Reactions: kenautelevo2pro

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy