Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Web ODM

jmason702

Reaction score
Trying it out, can not beat the price point, attached is a quality report. The ortho was ok, not great looking when zoomed in but it also resized the photos, I am running another one and blocked the resizing of photos.
But for the price, there is good detail to it and much more to play with...

Attachments

• Mendocino-Hill-Court-7-23-2022-report.pdf
    9.4 MB · Views: 25
Trying it out, can not beat the price point, attached is a quality report. The ortho was ok, not great looking when zoomed in but it also resized the photos, I am running another one and blocked the resizing of photos.
But for the price, there is good detail to it and much more to play with...
Yup, there are lots of options for fine tuning, 2D maps usually come out real good, have gotten some ok 3D results with adjusting params.

Reactions: jmason702
Yup, there are lots of options for fine tuning, 2D maps usually come out real good, have gotten some ok 3D results with adjusting params.
Any tips on those param adjustments? I fooled around with WebODM and Lightning, and the regular desktop version, and couldn't immediately get good results. Put it on back burner, but curious to try it again.

Would be great to see a tutorial or directions for the RTK/PPK assist features.

Any tips on those param adjustments? I fooled around with WebODM and Lightning, and the regular desktop version, and couldn't immediately get good results. Put it on back burner, but curious to try it again.
I have ODM on Windows (not the for fee installer version) which works ok, tried the installer for fee version on windows a few years back what a PITA. I also have WebODM on a Linux server. For projects that need more memory then I have an Azure instance I use.

For 3D models, for your options start by select the 3D Model preset, then adjust some params. Sometimes I set resize images, sometimes have it disable. Some params that can make a difference include use-3dmesh (3D Model enables this), raise mesh-octree-depth to 11 (or more), lower orthphoto-resolution to 1, raise mesh-size to 1000000 or higher (depends on how much memory you have).

After you do a run and get a 3D model, click on view 3D model, then, under Textured Model,
enable Show Model. Then, under appearance, for splat quality, enable high quality.

Good luck

Reactions: yarrr and jmason702
Yeah I have been running it for the past few years as a learning tool. I agree that there are alot of technical settings and fine-tuning that can be and actually should be done to get very nice results. The default 1-click quick map is faster but not for production. I mostly use it as a pre-processor to make sure the overall dataset is going to behave. I had to beef-up the RAM on my laptop to 100Gb to process the full resolution on the highest res settings.\

They are also constantly updating and enhancing to make sure to keep updated every few weeks.

Yeah I have been running it for the past few years as a learning tool. I agree that there are alot of technical settings and fine-tuning that can be and actually should be done to get very nice results. The default 1-click quick map is faster but not for production. I mostly use it as a pre-processor to make sure the overall dataset is going to behave. I had to beef-up the RAM on my laptop to 100Gb to process the full resolution on the highest res settings.\
You have 100GB RAM on a laptop? Wow, impressive, which one are using? Also what GPU on the laptop if any? Im looking at upgrading to a 64GB RAM laptop with higher power GPU also with more RAM more for Davinci Resolv rendering, however would also benefit ODM/WebODM running local in a VM or container.

It was a few years ago but I went with the Lenovo Thinkpad T15g. It is basically the same as the enterprise-level P15 but does not have the Quadro graphics (which is only needed for mission critical CAD users in engineering)..

I have the Gen1 but I think they are on Gen 3 now so there would even be some more affordable used/rerfurb units out there. It is a bit of a tank (about 1 inch thick) but has a removable Nvidia RTX2080 / 3080 level GPU and they can also be found with Intel Xeon CPU's. It has 2 M.2 SSD slots and can be upgraded to 128 gb of ram.

Example; Lenovo ThinkPad T15g Gen 2 20YS002MUS 15.6" Notebook - Full HD - 1920 x 1080 - Intel Core i7 11th Gen i7-11800H Octa-core (8 Core) 2.30 GHz - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - Black - Newegg.com

It was a few years ago but I went with the Lenovo Thinkpad T15g. It is basically the same as the enterprise-level P15 but does not have the Quadro graphics (which is only needed for mission critical CAD users in engineering)..

I have the Gen1 but I think they are on Gen 3 now so there would even be some more affordable used/rerfurb units out there. It is a bit of a tank (about 1 inch thick) but has a removable Nvidia RTX2080 / 3080 level GPU and they can also be found with Intel Xeon CPU's. It has 2 M.2 SSD slots and can be upgraded to 128 gb of ram.

Example; Lenovo ThinkPad T15g Gen 2 20YS002MUS 15.6" Notebook - Full HD - 1920 x 1080 - Intel Core i7 11th Gen i7-11800H Octa-core (8 Core) 2.30 GHz - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - Black - Newegg.com
Thks. I have had Thinkpad Ts in the past, they were great, however tanks compared to the X1s (non touch screen). My current X1 G5 is only 16GB ram, 1TB SSD, 2048 graphics and about ready for replacement. As much as I like the lightweight of the X1s, may consider adding a T for doing more robust work on, and do more common everyday work on the X1 G5. Otoh, might replace some older servers with something newer for doing renders and composting.

Reactions: Detritalgeo
Yeah the portability and power trade-off struggle is real. The higher-power GPU's also come with bigger power adapter bricks to handle the wattage as well. I have an X1 Yoga for the light duty work but the tank the processing unit. Mobile workstations have come along way .

Reactions: gschulzuio
I'm confused.

Who is the real WebODM - opendronemap.org, webodm.net or webodm.org?

I would like to try it based on this thread, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at.

I'm confused.

Who is the real WebODM - opendronemap.org, webodm.net or webodm.org?

I would like to try it based on this thread, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at.
ODM is the underlying processing engine software (e.g. OpenDroneMap ) that WebODM with its User Interface (e.g. GitHub - OpenDroneMap/WebODM: User-friendly, commercial-grade software for processing aerial imagery. 🛩) can leverage. Besides via github, you can also get WebODM via webodm.org (eg. the community page if you prefer not to use via github). Then there are other 3rd party sites that add packaging, installers, for fee service for those who dont want to DIY like webodm.net. I tried the win installer for fee once and was a waste of time and money, cant recall if got a refund or not. With the current versions available via WebODM.org, github both the GUI and non GUI versions for *nix and Windows are very easy to install, even for non tech as long as you can follow the instructions, easier than putting together a some assembly required picnic table ;).

ODM is the underlying processing engine software (e.g. OpenDroneMap ) that WebODM with its User Interface (e.g. GitHub - OpenDroneMap/WebODM: User-friendly, commercial-grade software for processing aerial imagery. 🛩) can leverage. Besides via github, you can also get WebODM via webodm.org (eg. the community page if you prefer not to use via github). Then there are other 3rd party sites that add packaging, installers, for fee service for those who dont want to DIY like webodm.net. I tried the win installer for fee once and was a waste of time and money, cant recall if got a refund or not. With the current versions available via WebODM.org, github both the GUI and non GUI versions for *nix and Windows are very easy to install, even for non tech as long as you can follow the instructions, easier than putting together a some assembly required picnic table ;).
OK, so I should download the software from opendronemap.org, and ignore webodm.net. Thanks for the clarification!!

Reactions: gschulzuio
I think OpenDroneMap is great. I've used it for over 2 years, multiple times per week. Their forum is a great source of custom processing methods. Not sure I could give processing generalizations as every data set is unique. Their implementation of rolling shutter correction and triangulation in the SfM step have been invaluable. Notice I didn't put a caveat about the price. It is simply great orthomosaic and topographic processing S/W.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials