Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Video editing question

Not sure what a new mini is. A 1 TB Samsung SSD would cost about 110 bux. I'd do that and if it doesn't work and you did get a new laptop or pc then you'd have a smoking HDD for it.
Edit: just saw the post about the mini. That looks super. The only thing i'd upgrade right away is the SSD. 128GB will get you nowhere FAST (pun intended) haha.
It’s a drastic update to the old box. Entirely new internals, to the point the $999 model is a powerhouse, with decent, non-gaming graphics support, but it can be upgraded if you really need more via TB3/USB-C:

You guys were talking about computers and I thought you might be interested in seeing what Matti Haapoja and Peter McKinnon two Youtubers i follow for camera tips use in their office. I wish I lived next door to these guys as I would be over borrowing stuff all the time LOL

It’s a drastic update to the old box. Entirely new internals, to the point the $999 model is a powerhouse, with decent, non-gaming graphics support, but it can be upgraded if you really need more via TB3/USB-C:
All I know is if you went with a winblows pc you'd get way way more bang for the buck.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
You guys were talking about computers and I thought you might be interested in seeing what Matti Haapoja and Peter McKinnon two Youtubers i follow for camera tips use in their office. I wish I lived next door to these guys as I would be over borrowing stuff all the time LOL

What a great room of toys!!! Serious $$$$, great lighting tools. He's so right about the lighting remotes. Before they were invented, you had to physically walk/climb to each light to change the settings. I used to grab folks and station them at each light. A real pain if you're in a clean room or shooting something really big. Holy crap is that custom PC incredible -- I guess if you have the $$$$, it's great, but... You're mostly gaining rendering speed, which is important if you're rendering/editing all day. There's rendering, and there's rendering for professional output. If your final product is 4k broadcast, yea the killer PC while save time, but $7000 worth? I bet a DIY $2500-3000 box would come close enough?

All I know is if you went with a winblows pc you'd get way way more bang for the buck.
Yes and no. A DIY PC, is great I've built several, but it's not something many folks like to do. Most Apple boxes aren't too expandable, but they're not made for that crowd. The new Mini is very expandable b/c of the 4 Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports. You can add anything to it since each port can daisy-chain 5-6 peripherals, with incredible transfer speeds.

As for Windows, I've used both for decades. Both have strengths and weaknesses. My last 8 years working at Lockheed Martin Space Systems, they switched mostly to Mac's & iPhones for security reasons, and they did it really fast. I already had 2 Macs, but the "creatives" were renegades already :) Now that I'm partially retired, I prefer Mac's, b/c if you have an iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and a Mac, they all talk you each other and are super-secure. You can sync all kinds of stuff so if you make a change on 1 device, it changes all them (Calendar, contacts, Safari, notes, reminders). I can transfer between them wirelessly using iCloud. You get hooked on the environment. I still have my DIY PC, but it's for Far Cry 5 and Battlefield V, LOL

Last edited:
Yes and no. A DIY PC is great I've built several, but it's not something many folks like to do. Apple boxes aren't too expandable, but they're not made for that crowd. The new Mini is very expandable b/c of the 4 Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports. You can add anything to it since each port can daisy-chain 5-6 peripherals, with incredible transfer speeds.

As for Windows, I've used both for decades. Both have strengths and weaknesses. My last 8 years working at Lockheed Martin Space Systems, they switched mostly to Mac's & iPhones for security reasons, and they did it really fast. I already had 2 Macs, but the "creatives" were primarily renegades already :) Now that I'm partially retired, I prefer Mac's, b/c if you have an iPhone, iPads, Apple Watch (gift) AirPods (gift), and a Mac, they all talk you each other and are super-secure. You can sync all kinds of stuff so if you make a change on 1 device, it changes all them (Calendar, contacts, Safari, notes, reminders). I can transfer between them wirelessly very easily using iCloud. You get hooked on the environment. I still have my DIY PC, but it's for Far Cry 5 and Battlefield V, LOL
Although building one would be the ideal way I agree most don't want to or don't think they can. I just bought a laptop that has everything I need and more. I got this on sale with 16GB of ram for $600. Those specs in a Mac would probably cost $2000 or so.
All that actually can be done on a windows pc also.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
Although building one would be the ideal way I agree most don't want to or don't think they can. I just bought a laptop that has everything I need and more. I got this on sale with 16GB of ram for $600. Those specs in a Mac would probably cost $2000 or so.
All that actually can be done on a windows pc also.
Yup, Costco has some incredible deals on Windows laptops, Mac Book Pros aren't cheap...

Again... I don't need a rocketship to do pro videos, I just need to know what is the vintage and model of a capable machine. I get it that my machine is too old, but it works for everything else. I was also considering getting a newer laptop for portablity and when I am working on videos, I would attach it to my 32" monitor and external keyboard. Any recommendations of vintage and specs for a capable mac type laptop for my needs? I was looking at the 2018 mac book pros, but they want $3000 plus and I could probably edit a full length feature on them. I don't need that kind of horsepower. If I can get away with a older and cheaper - but capable- laptop, that would work too.
do you use DaVinci Resolve at all? Look on youtube for a video, I believe it's called "Editing $k videos on older computers" o less capable or something of the sort.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials