Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Video editing question

minerrick

Reaction score
I am using the evo drone to take videos of some project areas. I am currently creating videos using a 2011 mac mini (2.5 I5 and 9GB ram) and it is choking when I am trying to create simple videos of 1080 and maybe 5 minutes long. In the Mac sphere (mini, mac book pro or mac air) what is a decent configuration which will maximize my pretty meager video requirements?- I don't necessarily need the latest and greatest, just something to get the job done. No fancy editing, just need it to no choke when I am moving files around.

Try to get a Mac that is 2015 or newer. Your machine is pushing 8 years. My machine is a 2014 i7 3.2Ghz 32Gb of Ram and can't run or process H.265 4K videos.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
I agree. It’s just too old in CPU and architecture. My 2018 Mac Mini w/16GB, booted from an an external 2TB SSD, screams. I have no issues editing 4K videos of any length. Final processing of any 4K video takes time, depending on length. Fans will click-on as the CPU goes into overdrive. My last 3.5 min H.264 4K video processed in 2 min... I’ll get 32GB in there later this year...

Again... I don't need a rocketship to do pro videos, I just need to know what is the vintage and model of a capable machine. I get it that my machine is too old, but it works for everything else. I was also considering getting a newer laptop for portablity and when I am working on videos, I would attach it to my 32" monitor and external keyboard. Any recommendations of vintage and specs for a capable mac type laptop for my needs? I was looking at the 2018 mac book pros, but they want $3000 plus and I could probably edit a full length feature on them. I don't need that kind of horsepower. If I can get away with a older and cheaper - but capable- laptop, that would work too.

I agree. It’s just too old in CPU and architecture. My 2018 Mac Mini w/16GB, booted from an an external 2TB SSD, screams. I have no issues editing 4K videos of any length. Final processing of any 4K video takes time, depending on length. Fans will click-on as the CPU goes into overdrive. My last 3.5 min H.264 4K video processed in 2 min... I’ll get 32GB in there later this year...

Which 2018 mac mini do you have? Specs?

Why not go for a 2015 Macbook Pro? They should be in the $500 and you will be able to edit 1080p and H.264 4K videos at 30fps.

Which 2018 mac mini do you have? Specs?
I bought mine on Craigslist, for $900, a rare find since they are so new. It's $999 new, but mine had 16GB user-installed. It's the 2nd model, 6-core i5 3.0GHz, turbo's to 4.2GHz, 256GB SSD, 8GB, (mine had 16GB). You can up to 64GB anytime. I boot from an external 2TB SSD via the Thunderbolt 3/USB-c ports. To keep costs down, you can boot from the very fast internal 256GB SSD, and store everything on external USB-3 HHD's. Adding 16GB/32GB up from 8GB is $90/$170 DIY-easy.
I thought I'd never buy another Mac Mini. Even though they're bulletproof, reliable -- you can't expand them much. That's all changed with the new ones w/ 4 TB-3/UBS-C ports on the back plus 2-USB-3. You can add anything to them now, even high-end graphics cards, all externally!

Reactions: Ansia
Why not go for a 2015 Macbook Pro? They should be in the $500 and you will be able to edit 1080p and H.264 4K videos at 30fps.
Most models of 15" 2015 MBP are more than that. I just sold my 2015 15" 2.8GHz, 16GB, 1TB for $1200. You could get a low-end 13" 2015 MBP for around that price, and that might work for you, but the 15" are the desirable ones. I just thought it was worth the jump to get something newer and more expandable. I had $300 left over! I don't need portability, I use an iPad for that -- my MBP was closed, running a big monitor, mouse and keyboard 98% off the time. If you really need portability, the 2015 MBP is regarded my some as the best laptop Apple ever made...

Reactions: Ansia and minerrick
Most models of 15" 2015 MBP are more than that. I just sold my 2015 15" 2.8GHz, 16GB, 1TB for $1200. You could get a low-end 13" 2015 MBP for around that price, and that might work for you, but the 15" are the desirable ones. I just thought it was worth the jump to get something newer and more expandable. I had $300 left over! I don't need portability, I use an iPad for that -- my MBP was closed, running a big monitor, mouse and keyboard 98% off the time. If you really need portability, the 2015 MBP is regarded my some as the best laptop Apple ever made...

any particular specs for that model which would be a minimum?

any particular specs for that model which would be a minimum?
Apple made many models of the 2015 MBP, both 13" and 15". The dual AMD graphics card 15" ones are the coveted ones today, why they retain their value. You need more than 8GB to edit video cleanly and quickly, imho, 16GB is minimum. ALL 2015 MBP had soldered-in memory :( Stuck with 8GB on the 13" (unless you can find one that was ordered with 16GB, rare), and the 15" all had 16GB. All the 13" and the lower-end 15" had integrated Intel Iris Graphics 6100 graphics, OK, but nothing great. They will struggle with 4K. Again, if you don't need portability, I suggest the new Mac Mini. It also has integrated Intel Iris Graphics, but a much newer more capable version. It's much faster than my old top-of-the-line 2015MPB, more expandable, and cheaper.

Apple made many models of the 2015 MBP, both 13" and 15". The dual AMD graphics card 15" ones are the coveted ones today, why they retain their value. You need more than 8GB to edit video cleanly and quickly, imho, 16GB is minimum. ALL 2015 MBP had soldered-in memory :( Stuck with 8GB on the 13" (unless you can find one that was ordered with 16GB, rare), and the 15" all had 16GB. All the 13" and the lower-end 15" had integrated Intel Iris Graphics 6100 graphics, OK, but nothing great. They will struggle with 4K. Again, if you don't need portability, I suggest the new Mac Mini. It also has integrated Intel Iris Graphics, but a much newer more capable version. It's much faster than my old top-of-the-line 2015MPB, more expandable, and cheaper.

ok, to push this foward- what configuration of the new mini, do you recommend as a minimum?

You may want to just try getting an ssd. That helped me tremendously on my previous laptop. You have what seems to be plenty of ram depending on its specs. Obviously the graphics card will make a difference also but an SSD can make a huge difference in certain things.

You may want to just try getting an ssd. That helped me tremendously on my previous laptop. You have what seems to be plenty of ram depending on its specs. Obviously the graphics card will make a difference also but an SSD can make a huge difference in certain things.

I might as well get a new mini, since mine is over 8 yrs old. Do you think the "stripped down" version of the new mini, with 16gb ram and a bigger hard drive will be enough? I don't want to "cheap out" and find out I screwed myself. But in the same breath, I don't necessarily want to buy the Ferrari, if I only need a bicycle.

I might as well get a new mini, since mine is over 8 yrs old. Do you think the "stripped down" version of the new mini, with 16gb ram and a bigger hard drive will be enough? I don't want to "cheap out" and find out I screwed myself. But in the same breath, I don't necessarily want to buy the Ferrari, if I only need a bicycle.
It better be a Schwinn with the sparkly steering wheel.

What is the minimum 2018 mac mini model do I want?

This one. The Turbo boost is a game changer that will make your mac mini relevant 5 years from now. I do recommend you get the 16Gb upgrade.

This one. The Turbo boost is a game changer that will make your mac mini relevant 5 years from now. I do recommend you get the 16Gb upgrade.

Perfect!!! Thanks

Reactions: Ansia

Exactly right — the entry-level model has a 3.6GHz quad-core w/ 8GB 128GB SSD for $749. Sure, you can upgrade the memory, but the SSD is harder to upgrade, unless you go external booting like I did. Most reviews I read suggest the 2nd model, 3.0GHz 6-core w/ 8GB 256GB SSD, is the one to get. Memory upgrades are easy, it doesn’t void the warranty. The turbo-boost to 4.2 GHz is important, as are the 6 cores. On eBay, you can get external Thunderbolt 3/USB-C boxes to hold graphics cards, SSD’s or HDD’s. The 4 Super fast ports on this tiny, quiet box is amazing. I love it....

Not sure what a new mini is. A 1 TB Samsung SSD would cost about 110 bux. I'd do that and if it doesn't work and you did get a new laptop or pc then you'd have a smoking HDD for it.
Edit: just saw the post about the mini. That looks super. The only thing i'd upgrade right away is the SSD. 128GB will get you nowhere FAST (pun intended) haha.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller