Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Trying to Decide - Mavic 2 Pro or Autel Evo 2 Pro - Camera Quality

I agree with the issues stated. I have the Dual and don't use it for Video. If I did I would lose my mind. My Evo will go bonkers if I don't calibrate compass nearly every flight. I am talking like spiraling out of control at landing bonkers. I have almost crashed trying to get it back to ground so many times when it just loses it. All I can see from flight log is compass is bad. Gimbal will go 90 degrees and stare right at landing arms and won't return. Its current problem is it won't fly at normal speed in direct elevation anymore, it goes slow then fast, fast then slow. It can barely hold its place when just hovering. And of course horizon issues and gimbal drift. For what I use it for which is scouting wildlife its fine. But for $10,000 it should fly circles over the M2P. Which I own also.

I agree with the issues stated. I have the Dual and don't use it for Video. If I did I would lose my mind. My Evo will go bonkers if I don't calibrate compass nearly every flight. I am talking like spiraling out of control at landing bonkers. I have almost crashed trying to get it back to ground so many times when it just loses it. All I can see from flight log is compass is bad. Gimbal will go 90 degrees and stare right at landing arms and won't return. Its current problem is it won't fly at normal speed in direct elevation anymore, it goes slow then fast, fast then slow. It can barely hold its place when just hovering. And of course horizon issues and gimbal drift. For what I use it for which is scouting wildlife its fine. But for $10,000 it should fly circles over the M2P. Which I own also.
Yes! Same issues...and I use it for video! Or so I try. I know people think I’m being over critical, but my EVO II does all of the above as well. To the original poster of this thread....think long and hard because maybe you’ll spend your money and get a good one....or maybe you’ll get one like ours.

mine fly as it should, straight horizons, never cal'd in ~50 flights.
I only fly RC - AC, are the "bad one's" bad in that configuration?
guessing i just got lucky.....?

I rarely fly RC-AC alone for the fact if something goes wrong, there are no flight logs of the event which equals no help from Autel even the said event was outside of user error, i.e. bad compass, imu, motor failure, or so on. Autel doesn’t mention that fact openly, so beware if you are flying RC-AC solely most of the time. I’m glad you have had a good experience so far. I like the camera and battery life. If this thing get polished and buffed up with a legit firmware release that fixes these issues, I’ll be happy as a clam, it’s just not been the case for me yet. Autel says they are aware of the issues and are working on it. We’ll see.

Yes! Same issues...and I use it for video! Or so I try. I know people think I’m being over critical, but my EVO II does all of the above as well. To the original poster of this thread....think long and hard because maybe you’ll spend your money and get a good one....or maybe you’ll get one like ours.
Hmmm. You’ve certainly got me thinking. Maybe I’ll wait for the Mavic 3 that is supposedly coming out this summer. I appreciate you opening my eyes to all these issues.

You cant assume the Mavic 3 will be better and without bugs. The hardware on the EVO is legit and like Cicero said if they can work out these bugs this aircraft would be amazing. And for many that seems to be the case and fly fine. These companies push products so fast almost all new releases are Beta. DJI I would think can work through them faster than Autel though. The bugs with Explorer APP are improved very slowly IMO.

Yes. I agree with the above post. I am just trying to give you the flip side of your decision. If you do purchase, maybe go through Amazon so you can return it if you are not happy. I wish I would’ve went that route. I also have the Mavic 2 with the Smart Controller and it has never failed me. Food for thought. Best of luck to you.

Assuming I decide to pull the trigger and purchase the Autel, will any of the negative technical issues show up from the get-go, or do they happen randomly as the drone gets more use? The reason I'm asking is that if you want to send it back with a proper reason, Amazon will give you a refund. Other vendors most likely wouldn't. I'm thinking this would give me a short period of time to test the machine to see if it has any technical problems. Thanks in advance for your replies!

The horizon issues will be evident right away as shown in the above video. The uncontrolled yaw and rotation will also be evident right away. The flight drift also. The cracks that appear on the body happened about a month after purchase.

Hello everybody. I am ready to purchase a new drone that I intend to use for commercial use. My choice is between the Mavic 2 Pro and the Autel Evo 2 Pro. I am convinced that the Evo is the superior product except for one thing... image quality. I know that the Evo produces sharper images which is very important for me. However, in virtually every video comparison I have seen on You Tube between the two, I find the Autel colours to be muddy, over saturated and generally dark in appearance, usually with an overall warm brownish cast. In comparison, most of the Mavic footage has clean, neutral whites, pleasant grass and foliage greens and crisp and bright blue skies. I have also viewed videos that have been independently posted (mostly on this site) and I'm afraid my assessment of these is the same. I looked here in the hopes that my opinion could be proven incorrect.

Can anybody explain why this is? I have had very little experience with post production work so I would not appreciate having to spend a lot of time adjusting the video using post production software.

I certainly don't intend to denigrate the product but this issue could be a game changer for me. Any feedback and recommendations for Evo videos that show crisp, bright and pleasant colours would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Evo 2 using Sony camera what is give you crisp and vivid images. DJI M2p using a Hasselblad camera. The characteristic is different. Picture is softer,but all the colours is there. Just like you compari Canon, and Sony dslr. Everybody have there own taste for image quality and colours. My opinion is; both drone makes excellent pictures . Personally I owe both model.

All your shots are beautiful! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks I just try to show the fact is both drones is capable to make a nice picture Personally I’m waiting for the mavic 3..

Last edited:
Yes. There’s no denying that both drones produce a good image, it’s just the flight characteristics and software that are in question.

Yes. There’s no denying that both drones produce a good image, it’s just the flight characteristics and software that are in questio. As off today still fill more safer to fly the mavic. Maybe it’s just me. smoother control in difficult situations specifically when I have to go close to my subject. Regarding the technical glitches and issues the Evo have slightly more problems.

Reactions: Cicero24
Hello everybody. I am ready to purchase a new drone that I intend to use for commercial use. My choice is between the Mavic 2 Pro and the Autel Evo 2 Pro. I am convinced that the Evo is the superior product except for one thing... image quality. I know that the Evo produces sharper images which is very important for me. However, in virtually every video comparison I have seen on You Tube between the two, I find the Autel colours to be muddy, over saturated and generally dark in appearance, usually with an overall warm brownish cast. In comparison, most of the Mavic footage has clean, neutral whites, pleasant grass and foliage greens and crisp and bright blue skies. I have also viewed videos that have been independently posted (mostly on this site) and I'm afraid my assessment of these is the same. I looked here in the hopes that my opinion could be proven incorrect.

Can anybody explain why this is? I have had very little experience with post production work so I would not appreciate having to spend a lot of time adjusting the video using post production software.

I certainly don't intend to denigrate the product but this issue could be a game changer for me. Any feedback and recommendations for Evo videos that show crisp, bright and pleasant colours would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum Ron,

Although I own both Mavic 2 Pro the Evo 2 Pro, I’m not an expert with video settings with either of the two. Both are very good, hopefully you can determine which direction to go based from the forums experience and suggestions. Many of the individuals that post here, are extremely good with camera or video settings, Many own both.

I use them for research purposes, vast open terrain or rocky hills and mountains.

I prefer Evo 2 Pro over Mavic 2 Pro, not because of camera but for other reasons. Probably only have 2 missions with Mavic 2 Pro these past several months, a dozen or more with Evo 2 Pro. Once Autel gets these app and firmware bugs worked out, Evo 2 will be an excellent piece of equipment.

Whatever you decide to get. Both have positive and negatives, Good luck and happy flying.

Paul

Reactions: Lucifer
Id have to go with the Evo 2.. But i only have an Evo 1 and a P4P obsidian plus to compare. I do prefer the more simple approach with the Evo... Seems i have more time in the air less on the ground. But price wise. You may be able to grab the mavic a little cheaper. Possibly.

My 50 cents as a one year owner of M2P and 4-5 months of E2P
Evo has a better camera - BUT have some flows - mine loses focus in AF - so I use it MF only :(
EVO has 4K 60 fps BUT with arrow field of view :(
M2P has a narrow field of view with HQ 4K and if You want wider FOV you loos Quality :(
EVO major disadvantage is flares, props shadows, and flickering :( something DJI has well in control!

That's about the camera, about flying - EVO has a longer range and fewer restrictions! Has OA on All directions (M2P Do not use side cameras in manual fly!!!)
But OA messes with fly a lot more than on M2P sometimes even stops the drone mid-flight...

All in all, I sold my M2P and shoot with E2P BUT both one Mini 2 Just in case ;) :)

Last edited:
I've got both. Yes the Evo 2 has some issues which I think are getting better. One feature not to be overlooked is the ability to shoot in 6k and crop / zoom into 4k. This video has a few crops into 4k and the detail is pretty amazing. Fixing horizon in post is pretty easy but is frustrating to see.

I just purchased an Evo 2 Pro 6k. I've been flying a DJI Phantom 4 Pro v2. I've been flying drones professionally since the summer of 2015. I bought the Evo 2 because I have a long term project doing 107 flights close to a major Class B airport. I can get FAA permission for my flights using the Kitty Hawk LAANC app. However the DJI drone is geo-fenced and won't let me take off. The Evo has no geo-fencing. So for me the Evo has been a good solution. I primarily take still images. So far with about 11 flights, the Evo 2 Pro 6k has been good both from a flying perspective and image quality perspective. I haven't had any real issues with the gimbal. Of course with stills, it's not too difficult to correct a minor tilt in post production.

Being able to shoot in 4k video and down sample to 1080 means you could crop and tilt in post-production. Of course it wouldn't be fun, and it's not the way you would want to do lots of video.

The camera in the Evo 2 Pro 6k produces quality images. Where with the Phantom 4 I would generally shoot stills at +1/3, I find with the Evo shoot at +-0 yields good raw images. The Evo at normal exposure setting produces a slightly overexposed file that can be easily tweaked in post production. I use Adobe Lightroom CC for editing still images.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials