Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Thoughts for New Buyers Coming from DJI

LeafPeeper

Reaction score
So I've had my Evo for a little over a month now, and thought I'd share a few thoughts for others who may be considering the purchase and coming from DJI.

I've been flying DJI Mavic Pros and a Spark for about 3 years now and got my Part 107 last year. What initially drew me to the Evo was the camera. I loved the look of videos straight from cam - the dynamic range, the color science, and of course, 4K 60fps. I also loved the idea of the OLED screen and FPV view without the phone. Lastly, DJI's strict geofencing is only now starting to annoy me. That said, owning the Evo has been a mixed bag so far.

The camera. The 4K 60fps is awesome. The color science and dynamic range are awesome. The barrel distortion, not so much. While my Mavics tend to overexpose and blow out whites, the stills look fabulous after a little tweaking. I generally don't like the Evo stills because as the horizon approaches the top, the barrel distortion becomes VERY obvious. I can fix it in post, but I still don't like it. I also don't find the stills as crisp as I can get with my Mavics. On the other hand, the 4K video straight from the cam are much better with the Evo (as long as you keep the horizon away from the top of the frame). They are crisper, and generally have fewer obvious compression artifacts. I attribute this to the Evo's higher bitrate.

The controller. The Evo controller is a far cry from my Mavic controllers physically, and the OLED screen doesn't save it. The buttons on the bottom are WAY too easy to hit - and in most use cases, all they do is beep. My controller doesn't need a horn. The antennas are garbage - as can be seen from all the cracking complaints. They are far too flimsy and prone to handling damage. The port covers are annoyingly difficult to move out of the way. The video range drops off DRAMATICALLY when there are trees in the way. While the FPV view is nice to have, it's next to useless (for me) without some kind of location or directional indicator. The FPV view was a big selling point for me, but I didn't realize that I wouldn't even have some high level map or directional indication on the screen. Without it I can't verify that the drone is pointed in the right direction before takeoff (compass verification) or where it is if I happen to lose sight of it inadvertently. The net is that I'd never use it without a phone anyway, which limits the controller to the same functionality as the Mavic remote.

The app. It's mostly great, but needs work. It's not resource demanding, so it runs on even my weakest Android phone. I LOVE that. It's also intuitive, reliable and works very well. It just lacks a bunch of features that I'd like to see. For example, I'd like to have some kind of compass or sensor status screen to give me some idea of how well they are calibrated like DJI. Autel's approach is equivalent of the car idiot light....which only alerts you when there is a problem. (Incidentally, there is no IMU cal on the Evo. The IMU is recalibrated every time you boot up, so it's important that the drone be motionless unless you are in boat mode.) Autel takes the same approach with recording the home point. I have to assume it's recorded unless the app tells me it's not. I'd rather it announce, flash lights, or SOMETHING to give me positive confirmation. Another huge selling point for me was the fact that the app uses Google maps, and as such, I incorrectly assumed it would use downloaded maps. I use dedicated devices for flying, and I frequently fly in areas with little or no cell coverage, and with all cell and wifi turned off to minimize interference - so I don't like to rely on signal for maps. DJI Go has an offline map feature which allows me to download map sections, but it is infuriating because it rarely works properly. Unfortunately flying in low signal areas with the Evo is just as difficult as it is with DJI. If I don't pre-cache map data from where I plan to fly, I get nothing but a blank screen for map.

The Evo. No complaints here. The Evo is a fantastic piece of kit. It feels more sturdy and well built than my Mavics and is more stable when hovering to line up for a landing. The gimbal is much more solid feeling and I don't worry every time I take the cover off. I also prefer the way the rear legs open over that of the Mavic. The Evo's prop audio pitch is lower and MUCH less annoying to my ears. I really get tired of the Mavic 'swarm of angry bees' sound. The Evo is much more pleasing to the ear, and for that reason, it is perceived as quieter. The Evo is more responsive than the Mavic - but that can be a double-edged sword. The Mavic gives you more control over ALL stick response curves...not just yaw like the Evo. This becomes more of a drawback when you consider that the rear obstacle avoidance sensor doesn't stop the drone. While I don't rely on obstacle avoidance, it has saved me from my own stupidity in a case or two.

3rd Party support. Is non-existent. There are VERY few aftermarket items available for the Evo, and sites like Airdata don't support it. I find Airdata critical to help me track usage, battery health, maintenance, and decoding detailed flight logs when I have an issue. I really feel exposed by not having it for the Evo.

For those of you that LOVE your Evo, please don't take all of that personally. I just wanted to document my thoughts for others that may be considering the Evo but are used to DJI. I believe in making informed purchases, and given the cost of these things, the *opinions* of others can sometimes be helpful.

LP

I will be honest. I gave up half way...LOL

But yes, there is no 1 perfect drone. Some have it's strenghts and weaknesses. It's up to the person to evaluate what they want and if that drone is the right for them.

I spent almost 6 months researching for my next drone and I felt that the Evo was the best out there to compliment my Phantom. I have yet to regret that desicion. One can do what the other fails at.

I will be honest. I gave up half way...LOL

But yes, there is no 1 perfect drone. Some have it's strenghts and weaknesses. It's up to the person to evaluate what they want and if that drone is the right for them.

I spent almost 6 months researching for my next drone and I felt that the Evo was the best out there to compliment my Phantom. I have yet to regret that desicion. One can do what the other fails at.

LOL! Yes, I can be a bit long winded at times. I agree completely on your position. It is definitely up to the individual to evaluate what they want/need. As I said, I wasn't trying to convince anyone of any particular point of view. I was just sharing my experience/opinions that I've formed over the past few months. All in all, I'm still glad I bought it. It really is a great drone....

LP

Reactions: TravisPNW and Ansia
I feel the stock antennas are more than adequate for the range we are supposed to be flying. The antennas are a weak design but I feel the main reason they are breaking is we have pushed them the wrong way a time or two and that is what is cracking the arm. It wouldn't take much pressure to crack that small amount of plastic.

Reactions: TravisPNW
I feel the stock antennas are more than adequate for the range we are supposed to be flying. The antennas are a weak design but I feel the main reason they are breaking is we have pushed them the wrong way a time or two and that is what is cracking the arm. It wouldn't take much pressure to crack that small amount of plastic.

I agree....until there are trees around. Then I get the weak video signal even when I can see the darn thing through the trees. It forces me to constantly juggle my position, antenna angle, Evo height or whatever to get it solid again. Over open water or land, no issue.

LP

I agree....until there are trees around. Then I get the weak video signal even when I can see the darn thing through the trees. It forces me to constantly juggle my position, antenna angle, Evo height or whatever to get it solid again. Over open water or land, no issue.

LP
This is one of the things about these drones it seems there is a lot of differences between individual drones I get very good reception behind trees. I flew up a winding dirt road staying below the tops of the cedar tree's and got 800 feet before I got a weak signal warning. Also while I am on the subject of difference's my drone takes much better videos in 2.7 H265 than it does in 4K H264 I have checked and compared many times. Don't ask me why but it does.

H.265 captures more information than H.264, therefore giving more definition in the video.

This is one of the things about these drones it seems there is a lot of differences between individual drones I get very good reception behind trees. I flew up a winding dirt road staying below the tops of the cedar tree's and got 800 feet before I got a weak signal warning. Also while I am on the subject of difference's my drone takes much better videos in 2.7 H265 than it does in 4K H264 I have checked and compared many times. Don't ask me why but it does.

I can get 800 feet too. 800 feet is still terrible for a drone that advertises >4miles. I never have that issue with Occusync.

LP

I can get 800 feet too. 800 feet is still terrible for a drone that advertises >4miles. I never have that issue with Occusync.

LP
Occusync changes between 2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz and on top of that it changes channels between those frequencies. Autel's signal is fixed at 2.4Ghz and only changes channel if you do so in settings.

Reactions: LeafPeeper

LP
800 feet completely out of sight behind the cedar trees I thought was pretty good. You said you lost signal behind the tree and could still see the drone.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
H.265 captures more information than H.264, therefore giving more definition in the video.
I can play the H265 on my laptop without any problems, Light room or premier elements can't read them so I convert with the free VLC player works great

Reactions: Ansia
800 feet completely out of sight behind the cedar trees I thought was pretty good. You said you lost signal behind the tree and could still see the drone.

Fair enough....I'm sure foliage density plays a role too. Either way, I still think 800 feet is poor.

LP

I can play the H265 on my laptop without any problems, Light room or premier elements can't read them so I convert with the free VLC player works great
Please lend me your laptop. I have a few H.265 that I need watching.
20190728_164723.jpg

The one thing that the evo does that dji won’t let you do is fly in your back yard because of the NFZ software.
When I say fly I only mean about head high so as not to violate any airspace instead of having to drive miles away to fly my spark or mavic Air.

I read the the entire post. Reminds me of the OLED vs QLED debate on various AV forums. (I'm a big home theater nut)

I went with the 65" OLED. It's the superior picture quality and there's really no debating it. QLED is just a glorified LCD with the same flaws that plague all LCDs such as gray blacks among other things. OLED doesn't have that issue because it doesn't have a backlight like LCD... the pixels turn off individually... so black means black.

As for the Evo... I originally went for it based on the price. I did no research on it at all. Even after swapping mine for a new one earlier this week due to those cracked antennas I'm happy with the purchase... and it doesn't lock me out of flight like I've heard DJI does. I'd had probably given DJI more thought if it wasn't $500 more. Getting the Evo for $1000 which included 2 extra batteries, a bag, extra 64GB card AND a $100 e gift card was too good of a deal to pass up. A huge selling point!

There is no perfect television... OLED is susceptible to image burn in if you watch programming with news tickers plastered on the screen like CNN... but who would buy an OLED for that? You buy a cheap LCD for that and buy an OLED for home theater movies.

There is no perfect drone either.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
This was an interesting thread. I have owned a DJI Phantom 3, Spark and Mavic Pro. The only one I have left is the Mavic Pro. Almost sold it when I bought the Evo - but glad I held onto it. I am kind of in the same camp as LeafPeeper - the Evo has a lot of pros, but overall, I am just a bit disappointed. I fly three drones now - the Evo, Mavic Pro and the Parrot Anafi. I wish I could put the best of all three together and get a super drone, but that is not going to happen. The Evo's video camera is superb - my neighbor has a Mavic Pro 2 with the Hasselblad camera and I like the Evo camera better. But from the standpoint of flying, the DJI Mavic Pro and Mavic Pro 2 series still beats the Evo handily. There is just a higher level of sophistication with the DJI Mavic Pro 1 or 2 series that Evo has not matched. Biggest disappointment with the Evo - the remote control and subpar intelligent flight modes. Don't get me wrong, I like to fly manually and do it 80% to 90% of the time, but the waypoint intelligent flight mode for the Evo is so underwhelming it is virtually useless, especially when compared to what is available for the DJI Mavic series and the Parrot Anafi. I use Litchi waypoints for DJI quite regularly and when compared to what the Evo has to offer, well....... it is almost embarrassing. I thought I would use the screen on the remote controller much more, but I only use that occasionally when I am flying fairly close in an environment I am familiar with. The screen is too small, not bright enough in sunlight and there are no maps, so it is not as usable as I would have hoped. It is nice to have in a pinch and when you have to get up in the air fast, but I fly 90% of the time with my Samsung Note 8, which provides a fairly big and bright screen. I still am scratching my head on the new additions to the Explorer app - Mission Planning (which seems to be fairly specialized and orientated towards commercial use) and the boat mode. I've never launched from a boat in my three years of flying and I am still playing around with the Mission planning mode, but my focus is more on videography and photography. My feeling is that Autel should focus on the best feature of the Evo - the camera - and improve the app to support and enhance that camera. I really hope they improve the waypoint intelligent flight mode as that would really benefit my use, but I understand there are a lot of different users out there. I wish I could put the Evo camera on the Mavic Pro, which essentially would be the Mavic Pro 2. The range and connection for the Evo is good and I few complaints about it, but it is nothing compared to Occusync 1 or 2, which is superb. Like LeefPeeper, I wish Airdata and Litchi would support the Evo.

All this being said, I still really like the Evo and its flight characteristics and the camera. Build quality is top notch, although the RC needs some work on the fan and antennas. I just want to see improvements made to a very fine machine! I probably fly the Evo the most, followed by the Mavic Pro and then the Anafi. All are fine drones. It sure would be nice if Autel would take the time to have a focus group of users who could give them suggestions on the improvements for the Evo. It has so much potential, but implementation is another thing.

This was an interesting thread. I have owned a DJI Phantom 3, Spark and Mavic Pro. The only one I have left is the Mavic Pro. Almost sold it when I bought the Evo - but glad I held onto it. I am kind of in the same camp as LeafPeeper - the Evo has a lot of pros, but overall, I am just a bit disappointed. I fly three drones now - the Evo, Mavic Pro and the Parrot Anafi. I wish I could put the best of all three together and get a super drone, but that is not going to happen. The Evo's video camera is superb - my neighbor has a Mavic Pro 2 with the Hasselblad camera and I like the Evo camera better. But from the standpoint of flying, the DJI Mavic Pro and Mavic Pro 2 series still beats the Evo handily. There is just a higher level of sophistication with the DJI Mavic Pro 1 or 2 series that Evo has not matched. Biggest disappointment with the Evo - the remote control and subpar intelligent flight modes. Don't get me wrong, I like to fly manually and do it 80% to 90% of the time, but the waypoint intelligent flight mode for the Evo is so underwhelming it is virtually useless, especially when compared to what is available for the DJI Mavic series and the Parrot Anafi. I use Litchi waypoints for DJI quite regularly and when compared to what the Evo has to offer, well....... it is almost embarrassing. I thought I would use the screen on the remote controller much more, but I only use that occasionally when I am flying fairly close in an environment I am familiar with. The screen is too small, not bright enough in sunlight and there are no maps, so it is not as usable as I would have hoped. It is nice to have in a pinch and when you have to get up in the air fast, but I fly 90% of the time with my Samsung Note 8, which provides a fairly big and bright screen. I still am scratching my head on the new additions to the Explorer app - Mission Planning (which seems to be fairly specialized and orientated towards commercial use) and the boat mode. I've never launched from a boat in my three years of flying and I am still playing around with the Mission planning mode, but my focus is more on videography and photography. My feeling is that Autel should focus on the best feature of the Evo - the camera - and improve the app to support and enhance that camera. I really hope they improve the waypoint intelligent flight mode as that would really benefit my use, but I understand there are a lot of different users out there. I wish I could put the Evo camera on the Mavic Pro, which essentially would be the Mavic Pro 2. The range and connection for the Evo is good and I few complaints about it, but it is nothing compared to Occusync 1 or 2, which is superb. Like LeefPeeper, I wish Airdata and Litchi would support the Evo.

All this being said, I still really like the Evo and its flight characteristics and the camera. Build quality is top notch, although the RC needs some work on the fan and antennas. I just want to see improvements made to a very fine machine! I probably fly the Evo the most, followed by the Mavic Pro and then the Anafi. All are fine drones. It sure would be nice if Autel would take the time to have a focus group of users who could give them suggestions on the improvements for the Evo. It has so much potential, but implementation is another thing.

Well said. I forgot about the RC fan....I returned my whole first Evo for that reason alone. Strangely enough, I have two Mavic Pro 1s, and the RC fans sound completely different between the two. The first one also whines when I move the controller around whereas the second one doesn't. The beeps sound different too.

I also use LItchi with my Mavics, and another app called Drone Harmony - which I think is a far more advanced version of what Autel was going for with the mission planning feature. I use it to map out property and take composite images - and sometimes just to inspect my roof after a storm. LOL

I thought about the Anafi before I bought the Evo, and it just seemed a bit bland for me....and I didn't like the controller or the SD Card 'tray'. Does the Anafi offer anything the other two don't other than the upward facing cam?

LP

Reactions: 399AGL
I read the the entire post. Reminds me of the OLED vs QLED debate on various AV forums. (I'm a big home theater nut)

I went with the 65" OLED. It's the superior picture quality and there's really no debating it. QLED is just a glorified LCD with the same flaws that plague all LCDs such as gray blacks among other things. OLED doesn't have that issue because it doesn't have a backlight like LCD... the pixels turn off individually... so black means black.

As for the Evo... I originally went for it based on the price. I did no research on it at all. Even after swapping mine for a new one earlier this week due to those cracked antennas I'm happy with the purchase... and it doesn't lock me out of flight like I've heard DJI does. I'd had probably given DJI more thought if it wasn't $500 more. Getting the Evo for $1000 which included 2 extra batteries, a bag, extra 64GB card AND a $100 e gift card was too good of a deal to pass up. A huge selling point!

There is no perfect television... OLED is susceptible to image burn in if you watch programming with news tickers plastered on the screen like CNN... but who would buy an OLED for that? You buy a cheap LCD for that and buy an OLED for home theater movies.

There is no perfect drone either.

While I agree with most of what you said here, I'm confused on the OLED discussion. It wasn't the technology that I had an issue with - it was just the implementation of the onboard screen. Without any kind of directional indicators or maps, it was really not much more useful than the Mavic's simple LCD readout.

LP

Reactions: G_G

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo