Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

The following UAS registration will expire within 30 days.

Tommy Molnar

Reaction score
I got this email today and am in a quandary as to what to do about it. My aging drone hasn't been flown in years. I live in northern NV and when I did fly, it was always out in the desert. I'm thinking of not renewing my current registration. I, of course, do not have any remote ID capability and have no plans to spend the money on this stuff, if there even are any remote ID parts available. I don't want to get rid of my X-Star Premium yet, but I don't see any flying being done anytime soon. I'm really not worried about being tracked down by the FAA if I do take flight out in the desert again.
Any thoughts on this? What are you old X-Star Premium pilots doing about this?

Not condoning it, but the reality is that one can always fly "illegally" and the realistic chances of getting tracked down are minimal, especially if you are away from any town or city. If it were in town, that is another story, especially if you happen to have a fly-away and it caused damage. This is the same dilemma with fixed wing r/c aircraft. We fly out on ridges in the middle of nowhere, yet if you truly want to be legal you have to get an RID module and register every one of your planes. This has helped kill the r/c hobby on the fixed wing / Park Flyer front :-(

Reactions: Tommy Molnar
I got this email today and am in a quandary as to what to do about it. My aging drone hasn't been flown in years. I live in northern NV and when I did fly, it was always out in the desert. I'm thinking of not renewing my current registration. I, of course, do not have any remote ID capability and have no plans to spend the money on this stuff, if there even are any remote ID parts available. I don't want to get rid of my X-Star Premium yet, but I don't see any flying being done anytime soon. I'm really not worried about being tracked down by the FAA if I do take flight out in the desert again.
Part 107 registration costs $5 per drone and is valid for three (3) years.
The Exception for Limited Recreational Operations registration costs $5, covers all drones in your inventory, and is valid for three (3) years.

Reactions: CactusJackSlade
I’m in a very similar situation, and in fact also live in Northern Nevada. I have not flown my XSP for years, however I’ve been pretty meticulous about maintaining the batteries on a monthly schedule, just so whenever I do decide to fly it again I’ll be ready to go. I registered mine last year (Part 107); for the minimal $5 fee it’s well worth knowing I’ll be in compliance if and when I fly it again. I’m planning on purchasing an RID module next spring, unless the enforcement deadline changes. I’m waiting on that as long as I can, but considering the module costs less than a battery used to (when we could still buy them), I think it’s a worthwhile expense to stay “legal”. But then I’ve always been kind of a “rule follower”!

I’m in a very similar situation, and in fact also live in Northern Nevada. I have not flown my XSP for years, however I’ve been pretty meticulous about maintaining the batteries on a monthly schedule, just so whenever I do decide to fly it again I’ll be ready to go. I registered mine last year (Part 107); for the minimal $5 fee it’s well worth knowing I’ll be in compliance if and when I fly it again. I’m planning on purchasing an RID module next spring, unless the enforcement deadline changes. I’m waiting on that as long as I can, but considering the module costs less than a battery used to (when we could still buy them), I think it’s a worthwhile expense to stay “legal”. But then I’ve always been kind of a “rule follower”!
I haven't flown my 'pumpkin' in years, mostly because of medical reasons that took me out of town. I'm not even sure if my batteries are still good (all five of them!). The whole "big brother" aspect of this latest development bothers me too. I know, I know, it's all about safety, and doing what they tell you is 'ok' to do. I'll check to see if my batteries are ok. If they're not I'll just not fly. Pretty simple. It was fun in the beginning. I never did anything stupid. Now it's getting serious and that's NOT fun. I've had enough "serious" in my life lately and don't need or want any more of it.

Reactions: Sundog775

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo