Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Stop-Start Recording at Each Waypoint After Updating

Yesterday's email response from Autel support. Makes me wonder if this effected everyone or if some of us have been unlucky for some reason. I view this as a major issue that you cannot continue recording through waypoint via a waypoint start recording command. Has anyone not had this mission waypoint recording issue? Hopefully he is a man of his word and I hear from him Tuesday.

Subject: Re: 193582 - Evo 2 firmware 2.6.22 start-stop mission recording issue
Hello Jeff,
Thank you for providing additional information. After speaking with my colleagues, I have found no additional information concerning any kind of similar issue from other users. I will go ahead and try to recreate the issue with our in house mobile devices when I am back in the office on Tuesday. Additionally, I will consult with my engineering department to see what kind of issue would cause the problems you are experiencing.

Best,

Travis R.
Customer Service Agent
AUTEL
ROBOTICS

Yesterday's email response from Autel support. Makes me wonder if this effected everyone or if some of us have been unlucky for some reason. I view this as a major issue that you cannot continue recording through waypoint via a waypoint start recording command. Has anyone not had this mission waypoint recording issue? Hopefully he is a man of his word and I hear from him Tuesday.

Subject: Re: 193582 - Evo 2 firmware 2.6.22 start-stop mission recording issue
Hello Jeff,
Thank you for providing additional information. After speaking with my colleagues, I have found no additional information concerning any kind of similar issue from other users. I will go ahead and try to recreate the issue with our in house mobile devices when I am back in the office on Tuesday. Additionally, I will consult with my engineering department to see what kind of issue would cause the problems you are experiencing.

Best,

Travis R.
Customer Service Agent
AUTEL
ROBOTICS
There is no unlucky - it either is a fault or isn't. As I have said previously this was a major issue for me on every flight, then I had a fly away got my new Evo2 through my insurance and since ignoring every firmware update message when I start up this is now not an issue...thank god!! I wont be upgrading any firmware for some time as some seasoned users on this forum have advised me

I do. I use Davinci Resolve. I think I heard you mention about hiding a gimbal shake with a Blur Dissolve transition so I do that the other day; worked fine. I'm still fairly new yet so I would prefer to just have a smooth video from start to finish or understand what happened in Missions and fix it. That way I can spend all my time in color grading and correction. :)

Pause at each waypoint. There really needs to be a true "fly over" waypoint parameter, but not so yet. Probably not going to happen for awhile. I still get "stop record" at random waypoints (mostly #2) so I am just poised with my finger over the left "record" button.

There is no unlucky - it either is a fault or isn't. As I have said previously this was a major issue for me on every flight, then I had a fly away got my new Evo2 through my insurance and since ignoring every firmware update message when I start up this is now not an issue...thank god!! I wont be upgrading any firmware for some time as some seasoned users on this forum have advised me
'No camera action' seems to work at that problem. Is I said, it's random. Start recording won't help.

'No camera action' seems to work at that problem. Is I said, it's random. Start recording won't help.
that is true. nothing seemed to work once you got the bug. sounds to me like the "start recording" command meant you first had to stop recording before you can [re-]start recording. I think you might be on to something because it happened to me at waypoint #2 also. for that reason, I try to use "no camera action" from the beginning for all of my waypoints.

btw, do you have an example (yt video) where you simply manually started the recording once you discovered it stopped? want to see how it turned out. also I'm ready to start working on post editing the "continuous" shots (where possible) to get a smooth flight; would like to see how that turned out for you as well.

that is true. nothing seemed to work once you got the bug. sounds to me like the "start recording" command meant you first had to stop recording before you can [re-]start recording. I think you might be on to something because it happened to me at waypoint #2 also. for that reason, I try to use "no camera action" from the beginning for all of my waypoints.

btw, do you have an example (yt video) where you simply manually started the recording once you discovered it stopped? want to see how it turned out. also I'm ready to start working on post editing the "continuous" shots (where possible) to get a smooth flight; would like to see how that turned out for you as well.
That’s a good suggestion about no camera action and then you just manually hit record at the start, not sure if changing the other variables like gimball orientation and pitch degree might still upset it!

Autel support told me it was a problem with the Autel Explorer app. That's obviously bull crap. You proved that back in May when you received a replacement unit with an earlier firmware version. I've been using my old DJI Pro 2 for video recording but really miss my EVO 2 for my monitoring work. The extra 8 minutes of flight time with the EVO 2 is hard to beat. Hahah! I am spending more time cleaning cicadas guts off my drones then flight times.

Reactions: steve2497
I just took delivery of a new 6K EVO II Pro last week. While getting to know it, especially Waypoint Missions, I encountered the video recording stoppage problem. After about 6 test flights, I think I have the solution. Set the default Camera Action for the mission to "--" (you have to scroll the selection box to expose that setting). Also set all waypoints to have "--" as the Camera Action. Start video recording manually whenever you desire (I do it right before takeoff). Initiate the waypoint mission, and it shouldn't issue any "Stop Recording" commands, except the normal "Stop Recording" after landing. Here's the mission I flew as a test this morning: EVO II Continuous Video Waypoint Mission Success Details on my app and firmware versions are in the video description. Hope this helps.

I just took delivery of a new 6K EVO II Pro last week. While getting to know it, especially Waypoint Missions, I encountered the video recording stoppage problem. After about 6 test flights, I think I have the solution. Set the default Camera Action for the mission to "--" (you have to scroll the selection box to expose that setting). Also set all waypoints to have "--" as the Camera Action. Start video recording manually whenever you desire (I do it right before takeoff). Initiate the waypoint mission, and it shouldn't issue any "Stop Recording" commands, except the normal "Stop Recording" after landing. Here's the mission I flew as a test this morning: EVO II Continuous Video Waypoint Mission Success Details on my app and firmware versions are in the video description. Hope this helps.
Just to make sure I didn't just get lucky with the fix above, I flew a longer, bigger waypoint mission with my EVO II 6K Pro this morning. I programmed it just as I did the one above and again had no stops of the recording except as expected after landing. Video is here: 9-Waypoint Continuous Video Mission.

Reactions: mab66
here's an example of a mission. like you, jd, I turn the video recording on before I start the mission and then I let it automatically turn off the video recording when the drone lands at the end of the mission. I have a 23-minute long video that covers everything, just as I wanted.

however, what happens if I decide I want to fly the mission again but I only want to record video from the school parking lots, the tennis courts, and the driving range....waypoints 4, 9, 12, 16, and 23. the purpose would be to redo those particular shots so I can compare them to and perhaps insert them into the original mission as replacements. maybe the school parking lot was blank and now it has lines so I want it to be updated or the tennis courts were empty and today there are players in the shot.

I'm not so sure start recording and stop recording are working well enough to do this. otherwise maybe I could have broken up this entire mission and then put it back together appropriately. isn't that why the mission was intended to start/stop recording and take photos at each waypoint instead of one long giant video recording?

mission_1.3.1.jpg

Ken, it sounds like you really could benefit from "Start Recording" and "Stop Recording" camera actions that work reliably. In my case, I was only concerned in getting complete video of the entire route. Having the recording stop unexpectedly means I have to be ready to restart it immediately, and no matter how quick I am on the trigger, I'll still lose some of the action.

If I had a requirement like you describe, I might be tempted to fly and record the whole route again and do the editing required after the flight. "Fix it in post" as they say.

What I'd really like is something akin to Yuneec's Curved Cable Cam function: spline curves between waypoints for gentle course changes without pauses. My Typhoon H with its retractable gear also allows for controlling camera azimuth independent of the nose of the aircraft through a full 360° pan. Although the spline curves can get you into obstacle trouble in some tight environments if they swing wider than you imagine, most of my curved cable cam use ended up being over obstacle-free water.

Pause at each waypoint. There really needs to be a true "fly over" waypoint parameter, but not so yet. Probably not going to happen for awhile. I still get "stop record" at random waypoints (mostly #2) so I am just poised with my finger over the left "record" button.
I too have the stop recording, but only when leaving waypoint 2 and heading on to 3. All other waypoints have continuous recording. I did notice that if i have changed the gimble angle during the mission, after the last waypoint before coming home, the gimble resets itself to the angle set at the beginning of the mission.

Ken, it sounds like you really could benefit from "Start Recording" and "Stop Recording" camera actions that work reliably. In my case, I was only concerned in getting complete video of the entire route. Having the recording stop unexpectedly means I have to be ready to restart it immediately, and no matter how quick I am on the trigger, I'll still lose some of the action.

If I had a requirement like you describe, I might be tempted to fly and record the whole route again and do the editing required after the flight. "Fix it in post" as they say.

What I'd really like is something akin to Yuneec's Curved Cable Cam function: spline curves between waypoints for gentle course changes without pauses. My Typhoon H with its retractable gear also allows for controlling camera azimuth independent of the nose of the aircraft through a full 360° pan. Although the spline curves can get you into obstacle trouble in some tight environments if they swing wider than you imagine, most of my curved cable cam use ended up being over obstacle-free water.
im miss this reply from several months back. i agree with you, i don't like to pull together the video in post and i prefer one continuous video because as you say, no matter how quick i am, there's some loss (even though i have figured out how to hide or disguise a small lost segment). from my last mission, lots of people and cars and activity and it would be obvious which ordinarily is not a big deal for an ordinary video but i wanted something nearly perfect.

Thanks for telling me, I am not alone! I did post somewhere else here that a "fix" I found was to manually press record but only AFTER it has passed waypoint 2.

So a bug with the new update which by the way you cannot roll back anymore like you used to.

I now am dealing with my major other problem since updating to the latest, my drone points south after each waypoint despite where I tell the camera to point, so at the start of any waypoint the drone and camera adjust to what I tell it but as soon as it starts moving it swivels round to point south, very annoying...waiting on Autel to come back to me, its been 2 weeks and nothing from their repair team or any suggestions on this forum, and yes I did recalibrate everything and in the correct order etc etc.
I too have the problem. I plan a mission in waypoint and set it up to record from start to finish
When I get about half way into my mission it stop recording. Tryed all kinds of set with the same result. My autel evo pro 2 drone worked great til I updated to the latest firm ware. Talk to a tec and they told me to set the camera setting to none and it should clear up the problem. It didn't. That when I stared to try all different setting to no avail. Not happy with the tec dept. Need to be better. Sorry I can't help but wanted to let you know that you are not alone with this problem.

That’s a good suggestion about no camera action and then you just manually hit record at the start, not sure if changing the other variables like gimball orientation and pitch degree might still upset it!
Have tryed that and it still stop recording.

I love waypoints....but I do have to hit the recording button then it recordes. The real problem I have is the gimbal, I set it to 30 degrees and soon as it gets to the 1st waypoint it's at zero. I have tried and tried but it always goes to zero. Does anyone have an idea?

here's an example of a mission. like you, jd, I turn the video recording on before I start the mission and then I let it automatically turn off the video recording when the drone lands at the end of the mission. I have a 23-minute long video that covers everything, just as I wanted.

however, what happens if I decide I want to fly the mission again but I only want to record video from the school parking lots, the tennis courts, and the driving range....waypoints 4, 9, 12, 16, and 23. the purpose would be to redo those particular shots so I can compare them to and perhaps insert them into the original mission as replacements. maybe the school parking lot was blank and now it has lines so I want it to be updated or the tennis courts were empty and today there are players in the shot.

I'm not so sure start recording and stop recording are working well enough to do this. otherwise maybe I could have broken up this entire mission and then put it back together appropriately. isn't that why the mission was intended to start/stop recording and take photos at each waypoint instead of one long giant video recording?

View attachment 11701
sorry to reply to this old problem, Has your problem been resolved? I am using fixed coordinates (KML) in this case, which has so many points for each 50 M, the coordinates that I used for my mission plan for tracking video for Highway construction, the problem that i faced was the drone stop for each point when it arrived. but on litchi the drone still running until the end of coordinates point, i am so frustrated,

sorry to reply to this old problem, Has your problem been resolved? I am using fixed coordinates in this case, which has so many points for each 50 M, the coordinates that I used for my mission plan for tracking video for Highway construction, the problem that i faced was the drone stop for each point when it arrived. but on litchi the drone still running until the end of coordinates point, i am so frustrated,

sorry to reply to this old problem, Has your problem been resolved? I am using fixed coordinates in this case, which has so many points for each 50 M, the coordinates that I used for my mission plan for tracking video for Highway construction, the problem that i faced was the drone stop for each point when it arrived. but on litchi the drone still running until the end of coordinates point, i am so frustrated,
no i still have the same issues with missions but i have adapted. the drone will pause at all points but i understand this will change with the next big software update. i haven't bothered to figure out the camera recording issues so i just start recording from minute one and stop recording on minute twenty.

you mentioned litchi and how it behaves properly but youre talking about litchi on another drone, not the autel; correct?

no i still have the same issues with missions but i have adapted. the drone will pause at all points but i understand this will change with the next big software update. i haven't bothered to figure out the camera recording issues so i just start recording from minute one and stop recording on minute twenty.

you mentioned litchi and how it behaves properly but youre talking about litchi on another drone, not the autel; correct?
Yeah litchi with another drone, this is my first time using evo 2+rtk (coz didn't what my boss thinking give me this) and this **** happened, is there the alternatif software that support evo 2 for waypoints missiom planner app??

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials