Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Stop-Start Recording at Each Waypoint After Updating

steve2497

Reaction score
OK I have just updated to the latest March 21 firmware and explorer app and done my first mission with about 40 waypoints.

Normally when it takes off I hit the record button and it records continuously through every waypoint which is perfect. Now after the update it stops recording at the end of each waypoint and starts recording again to go to the next waypoint.

I now have 40 video files for one 25 minute flight!!! Anyone else experience this as it did not happen before the update and I can't see anything in the release notes that mention this.

I imagine if I merge these 40 videos together it will not show a smooth flight as will jerk to the new angle and position when the next video is run.

OK I have just updated to the latest March 21 firmware and explorer app and done my first mission with about 40 waypoints.

Normally when it takes off I hit the record button and it records continuously through every waypoint which is perfect. Now after the update it stops recording at the end of each waypoint and starts recording again to go to the next waypoint.

I now have 40 video files for one 25 minute flight!!! Anyone else experience this as it did not happen before the update and I can't see anything in the release notes that mention this.

I imagine if I merge these 40 videos together it will not show a smooth flight as will jerk to the new angle and position when the next video is run.
Had this happen.. when the drone reached waypoint number 2 recording stopped.. luckily I was paying close attention and I hit the record button immediately and it continued to the remaining 9 waypoints without stopping again. This was my first flight with the latest firmware update.

Had this happen.. when the drone reached waypoint number 2 recording stopped.. luckily I was paying close attention and I hit the record button immediately and it continued to the remaining 9 waypoints without stopping again. This was my first flight with the latest firmware update.
Thanks for telling me, I am not alone! I did post somewhere else here that a "fix" I found was to manually press record but only AFTER it has passed waypoint 2.

So a bug with the new update which by the way you cannot roll back anymore like you used to.

I now am dealing with my major other problem since updating to the latest, my drone points south after each waypoint despite where I tell the camera to point, so at the start of any waypoint the drone and camera adjust to what I tell it but as soon as it starts moving it swivels round to point south, very annoying...waiting on Autel to come back to me, its been 2 weeks and nothing from their repair team or any suggestions on this forum, and yes I did recalibrate everything and in the correct order etc etc.

I haven’t used waypoints, only rectangular but do you have to set the direction to “route” for all waypoints?

no you don't but the option is there to get the gimbal to point at a specific direction at each waypoint which is very useful if for example you want to point at specific things. The huge issue now though is it points south whichever direction I fly. Until Autel fix their cock up firmware update I will have to program my gimbal to point the opposite of south, so if I fly north my gimbal will have to be programmed to point backwards I guess...haven't tried this yet as was hoping I could just roll back!

Yes. I have the same issue and posted it earlier. I'm relieved to see this wasn't just me and a fix should be in works.

Yes. I have the same issue and posted it earlier. I'm relieved to see this wasn't just me and a fix should be in works.
I'll report back here as soon as I hear from Autel, I sent them ipad screen recording clips showing exactly what the mental drone was doing that was 2 weeks ago so hopefully they will have some suggestion/fix. Its such a shame we can no longer roll back at all with the latest firmware

FWIW, I've also reported the problem to Autel. There's an additional problem as well. The camera angle changes from Route to Custom beginning with the first waypoint. This gets really screwy if you move your waypoints after laying them out the first time.

FWIW, I've also reported the problem to Autel. There's an additional problem as well. The camera angle changes from Route to Custom beginning with the first waypoint. This gets really screwy if you move your waypoints after laying them out the first time.
that's interesting - what is the difference between route and custom, I haven't understood yet

that's interesting - what is the difference between route and custom, I haven't understood yet
Steve,

In Route, the camera will point in the direction the aircraft is flying. In Custom, it points in whatever compass azimuth you pick. The problem is that if I thought it was going to be following the Route and never assigned it a compass heading, you might guess that the video is going to show the aircraft pointing in all sorts of directions. That's basically what happened. I adjusted the route after initial setup and missed that Explorer had changed the default from Route to Custom.

Steve,

In Route, the camera will point in the direction the aircraft is flying. In Custom, it points in whatever compass azimuth you pick. The problem is that if I thought it was going to be following the Route and never assigned it a compass heading, you might guess that the video is going to show the aircraft pointing in all sorts of directions. That's basically what happened. I adjusted the route after initial setup and missed that Explorer had changed the default from Route to Custom.
I understand now, thanks for confirming

I've been setting each waypoint to the last selection in action which is "- -" and not leaving it as "No action chosen" I still have the occasional stop recording but I do believe it's got to do with the file size at the waypoint and how close it is to starting another file (but that's just a WAG) I have a mission that shows as this attached video and it only has 5 waypoints with #2 as the longest flight. To disguise a pause on can introduce a transition in post. POIs are a way to get different camera angles but setting the mission to "route" will help with pointing. You can set it as manual and custom

Screenshot_20210505-161258_Autel Explorer.jpg

Last edited:
I got pretty excited after reading your post but unfortunately your solution did not work for me. I modified a few of my missions as you described and also created a couple new ones but no luck. Thank you though for the recommendation and I'm glad you found a workaround that works for you.

Autel never gave me a solution or admitted it was a problem.

Since then I had a flyaway and got a new drone through my drone insurance and thankfully the problem has now gone.

It does prompt me every time I start to update the firmware - no
I don't think so thank you very much Autel!! I will not be updating it for a long time until the latest version is confirmed as stable.

I got pretty excited after reading your post but unfortunately your solution did not work for me. I modified a few of my missions as you described and also created a couple new ones but no luck. Thank you though for the recommendation and I'm glad you found a workaround that works for you.
Well, it doesn't really. I still get a random stop recording. I have one mission with 7 wpts and it runs the whole gamit, no stops. My other mission with only 5 wpts, it simply stops recording on wpt 2 for no rhyme nor reason. It's easy enough to be ready for it and hit the left red dot record with my left index finger on the remote. Oddly, at wpt 2 it has infrequently completely stopped running the app and goes back to the home screen ??? I give up. :eek:o_O

Well, it doesn't really. I still get a random stop recording. I have one mission with 7 wpts and it runs the whole gamit, no stops. My other mission with only 5 wpts, it simply stops recording on wpt 2 for no rhyme nor reason. It's easy enough to be ready for it and hit the left red dot record with my left index finger on the remote. Oddly, at wpt 2 it has infrequently completely stopped running the app and goes back to the home screen ??? I give up. :eek:o_O
I don't like the breaks in recording and I hate it when you are half-way thru a mission and it's not recording. I have found if you discover where the recording stops, you can replace/redo that waypoint and the two waypoints on either side of it (just in case) and the problem goes away (at least it did for me).

Do you do post? Pauses and sections are easy to disguise with transitions in post. Painless with a good editor.
I do. I use Davinci Resolve. I think I heard you mention about hiding a gimbal shake with a Blur Dissolve transition so I do that the other day; worked fine. I'm still fairly new yet so I would prefer to just have a smooth video from start to finish or understand what happened in Missions and fix it. That way I can spend all my time in color grading and correction. :)

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d