Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

StarLink Feature Request: Flight Log Replay & Tablet Flight Video Recording

I haven't opened the link but will, when I have more time to digest it all. Thanks for providing it.

Isn't all that geofencing a conceptual control method thing that is more about conforming to the proposed Amazon Commercial delivery Corridor in conjunction with the FAA than anything else? My understanding was they wanted an automated flight control system that any hobby fliers would log into and while they were flying, their position would be logged so Amazon flights could avoid their areas of operation, but I may be misunderstanding the concept.

I'm sure DJI & Autel were being forced by the FAA & Amazon to lay in provisions for it, or lose the right to sell their products in the states & other countries.

Since I am aware you have in the past and most likely do still own DJI products, I have no choice but to defer to your hands on knowledge of the capabilities of that system to save the flight video to cache only when one toggles that setting on in the DJI App, not having owned one myself. It was my sincere impression from Mr. Bogg's first refuting of "DroneSlayer's" assertions that he thought the video was gone forever when he found the memory card was not in the P3 camera unit when he recovered it, as he repeatedly stated to the cameras that no one wants that video of the flight more than he, so he could prove his innocence. I sincerely believed someone, more knowledgeable than Mr. Boggs, contacted him after viewing this and asked to examine the tablet's cache for the raw video feed stream files that he knew would in all probability still be in memory and was fortunately able to recover them to bolster Mr. Boggs' claim.
I have not and do not own DJI products. I was curious about the video cache so I did a search for "DJI cached video" . One hit was someone asking, "How do I get to the cached video?" and one response said that you have it turn it on. I assumed that this was accurate and current information.
That was admittedly an assumption on my part. One that I believed reasonable, and my entire premise was based upon this. If am wrong, so be it. If I am not, then the possibility that Starlink could do this task much more efficiently than any other method is fact. I sincerely hope that is the case. I will defer to your superior knowledge on the subject matter being aware of your vast, cross platform experience and knowledge on the subject. Irregardless, if the video is piped to starlink as part of its function, it stands to reason, the most efficient method of saving a record of it should be through Starlink itself as well rather than initiate another app to duplicate the effort much less efficiently.
While I have no direct experience with DJI cached video, I am an experienced SW developer. Right now, the Starlkink app doesn't know anything about video formats. If you want to extend it to record video, it will need to know what the format is, and process the video to conform to the standard. Error handling will need to be added. What does Starlink do if it runs out of space? Autel can add these capabilities but it means adding an entirely new capability. I would rather them focus on other issues, such as yaw, especially given that exiting screen recorders provide a very simple workaround for the fact that it does not currently save video. Also, I like having the additional telemetry/screen data in the recorded video. If Autel adds an option to save just video, I would still use AZ Recorder to get the other information. I would rather have an option that would start AZ Recorder from within Starlink rather than duplicating its function. I would not want Starlink to record video if I was recording the screen.

None-the-less, I have submitted requests along these lines to Autel support for the requsted feeatures and I encourage anyone who agrees with the need, to do the same.
This is fair. Clearly you are not alone in your wish to save video from Starlink. I certainly wouldn't mind the capability but there are probably 30-50 other features that I consider more important.

One of these is to save flight information including lat/lon/altitude, battery level, Home location/alt, etc to either Starlink and/or the SD card. Getting and processing the existing logs files is cumbersome. Starlink and/or an external application could include a playback mode using this information. Having saved video from the flight would be useful, but simple log files would be a lot simpler.

[url=http://xslogs.weebly.com/docs.html]X-Star Log Viewer[/URL]

Got to be an easier way than that log viewer.

Must have gotten you confused with another user on the other forum that had pictured his collection and he had a couple DJI. My Bad.

Last edited:
Got to be an easier way than that log viewer.

Must have gotten you confused with another user on the other forum that had pictured his collection and he had a couple DJI. My Bad.
The log viewer isn't that bad, but getting the log files off the aircraft is much more difficult than it should be. It takes a fair amount of time (10-20 minutes to get ~10 log files) and the X-Star beeps until you power it off..

In the Wake of the Kentucky "DroneSlayer" Shootdown it must be obvious that Starlink needs to log all flight Data on the tablet as a replayable flight log trace where any flight data & path displayed on the tablet at any moment of the flight can be displayed along with the corresponding video recording of images streamed from the X-Star camera in flight (whether recording on X-Star or not) to be used in litigation or defense of the operator should the X-Star be lost in flight in a similar catastrophic shootdown or accidental loss.

David Boggs was able to recover his aircraft without the memory card, but fortunately recovered his flight log data and the Streamed flight video from the Tablets Cache in order to refute false claims of invasion of privacy during his flight and press a pending and likely Precedent Setting Federal Lawsuit case against William Meredith aka: "The DroneSlayer" after Meredith was acquitted of criminal charges in the matter by a local Kentucky judge.

I think every operator needs to have easily accessed Black Box data logs like these in the event of an unrecoverable X-Star event for protection against false claims by anyone who may level them at any time, for any reason.

I would think Starlink should be able to log the data & save the video from cache in a manner much more CPU friendly manner than running a separate screen recording app simultaneously on a tablet with Starlink.

View attachment 21

Hillview man arrested for shooting down drone; cites right to privacy

INTERVIEW: Drone owner responds to claims of privacy invasion

Judge rules man had right to shoot down drone over his house

After neighbor shot down his drone, Kentucky man files federal lawsuit

001 Complaint for Declaratory Judgment and Damages 2016 01 05 4849 6171 4476 1

Does anyone else agree this feature request is a necessity for any drone pilot?

For Sure!!!

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials